USC (Gould) c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which doctrinal courses have you been assigned for the Fall term?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

(1) Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts
30%
(2) Civ Pro, Con Law, Contracts
40%
(3) Civ Pro, Torts, Con Law
30%

Total votes: 10

LawsRUs

Gold

Re: USC (Gould) c/o 2018

Post by LawsRUs » Tue May 05, 2015 7:16 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:Officially checking in.
Congratulations FN!!!
And welcome!!! I am glad you'll be joining us.

supersplittysplitter

Bronze

Post by supersplittysplitter » Tue May 05, 2015 8:15 pm

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering what part of LA do most USC students usually hang out/ party? I've heard mixed things about the area around campus so I wasn't sure if most of the social life is centered in that neighborhood or if people spread out more.

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Tue May 05, 2015 9:29 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering what part of LA do most USC students usually hang out/ party? I've heard mixed things about the area around campus so I wasn't sure if most of the social life is centered in that neighborhood or if people spread out more.
For the most part, undergrads stay in the surrounding area. Fraternity parties, the 90 on Figueroa (RIP), some downtown bars like The Standard, The Library, Seventh and Grand, and a few Hollywood clubs.

Most recent alum live on the West Side (Santa Monica, Venice) and they frequent the bars in that area.

ETA: ^My favorite place to hang out. It's a distance from campus, but an awesome venue to chill with sociable bros :lol:

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:30 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
supersplittysplitter wrote:I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering what part of LA do most USC students usually hang out/ party? I've heard mixed things about the area around campus so I wasn't sure if most of the social life is centered in that neighborhood or if people spread out more.
For the most part, undergrads stay in the surrounding area. Fraternity parties, the 90 on Figueroa (RIP), some downtown bars like The Standard, The Library, Seventh and Grand, and a few Hollywood clubs.

Most recent alum live on the West Side (Santa Monica, Venice) and they frequent the bars in that area.

ETA: ^My favorite place to hang out. It's a distance from campus, but an awesome venue to chill with sociable bros :lol:
Everything about Santa Monica is awesome

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Everything about Santa Monica is awesome
One of the few circumstances where I'd say "Cheers" to a UCLA alum

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Everything about Santa Monica is awesome
One of the few circumstances where I'd say "Cheers" to a UCLA alum
I'll take it :D

Ver91

New

Post by Ver91 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:13 am

Deposited as well! Can't wait to meet everyone!!! How are yall doing with the housing search? Are you planning on waiting a bit or trying to finalize something soon? If we are considering living off campus but would be happy to have another (or a few other) usc law student housemates how would you go about finding them?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 pm

Ver91 wrote:Deposited as well! Can't wait to meet everyone!!! How are yall doing with the housing search? Are you planning on waiting a bit or trying to finalize something soon? If we are considering living off campus but would be happy to have another (or a few other) usc law student housemates how would you go about finding them?
Hi ver! Congratulations on your decision!
I will put your username on page 1 of this thread when I get to my computer.
You all should also post your decisions in the Destinations thread. If everyone does, we would have 10-11 (!!) people attending.

I would look for housing asap. When I was searching, it was a very frustrating process. I found mine through Craiglist. I think on the admitted students portal, there might be a roommate match form. Also, maybe some of you can coordinate if you are looking for roommates. GL!
And if you are having a hard time finding something, you can pm me, and maybe I can help you find something.

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Wed May 06, 2015 3:08 pm

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:

Everything about Santa Monica is awesome
Not the rent!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 am

Guys.. I got in off the w/l at GULC which means I most likely wont be coming to USC in the fall :oops:

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu May 07, 2015 12:17 am

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Guys.. I got in off the w/l at GULC which means I most likely wont be coming to USC in the fall :oops:
OMG congratulations Brojan!!!!! That's really great news.
I am sad, but at the same time, I am very happy for you.

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 am

LawsRUs wrote:
UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:Guys.. I got in off the w/l at GULC which means I most likely wont be coming to USC in the fall :oops:
Thank you so much!! It's going to be a very tough decision. This thread makes it even harder :(

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu May 07, 2015 12:41 am

UCLAHopeful2015 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:
Thank you so much!! It's going to be a very tough decision. This thread makes it even harder :(
Haha, you shouldn't base your decision on this thread.
Look at employment scores, look at scholarship offers, and ask Qs to current GLUC students in the Ask a Current Student/Grad forum.

GULC has good people going. Gray, bucki, and moto will be there: They are really nice. (You might want to avoid Hand. He creeps me out lol.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu May 07, 2015 6:44 am

A favor: Can one of you itt take over this thread starting mid-May? If you want to be OP, pls send me a pm, thanks. (You would just need to add/delete the part on who are attending.)

(I put in a request for a temp ban until next week. When I come back, I'll request the switch. Thanks all, I'll find you all at orientation.)

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 pm

LawsRUs wrote:A favor: Can one of you itt take over this thread starting mid-May? If you want to be OP, pls send me a pm, thanks. (You would just need to add/delete the part on who are attending.)

(I put in a request for a temp ban until next week. When I come back, I'll request the switch. Thanks all, I'll find you all at orientation.)
Good luck with finals!!!

seansj1

New

Post by seansj1 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:20 pm

I'm looking for a roommate and housing, so if anyone going to SC next year might be interested PM me!

seansj1

New

Post by seansj1 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:35 pm

FlyingNorth wrote:
fishbulb wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:@acat, you might want to post in the choosing forum
@fishbulb and KT, are you both coming here?

I don't see a rush to complete the on campus housing application since it opened today. Are you looking into Terrace because you are oos?

I think YAR said it was pretty safe. You might want to ask a current student or grad in one of the Takings threads, or contact the school in general to ask about it. (I think there is a contact person in the folder that they gave us on Law Day.)
Yeah, I deposited last night and barring any WL, I'll likely be here in the fall.

I'm from LA and actually living with friends now in an LA suburb for pretty cheap, but the .75-1 hour commute everyday seems like something I don't want to deal with, not to mention this probably isn't the best environment for a 1L. I'm more interested in finding a non-USC apartment, but just wanted to keep my options open for now.
My recommendation for most of you would be the Tuscany Apartments or Icon Plaza by MLK Blvd.

They're both a little pricey, but they have the best proximity to the Law School. Nice rooms, recently built, very secure, and they're situated on top of some great eateries and coffee places.
I was thinking about Tuscany or Icon, but I'm worried it might be mostly undergrads. Any idea if theres a significant number of law students and if so any way to room together?
Also, does anyone know if its still worth submitting a Terrace app? I thought I was gonna go a different route for sure, but the convenience of signing up for Terrace vs searching for an apartment online is kind of making me reconsider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FlyingNorth

Bronze

Post by FlyingNorth » Sat May 09, 2015 1:56 am

seansj1 wrote:
I was thinking about Tuscany or Icon, but I'm worried it might be mostly undergrads. Any idea if theres a significant number of law students and if so any way to room together?
Also, does anyone know if its still worth submitting a Terrace app? I thought I was gonna go a different route for sure, but the convenience of signing up for Terrace vs searching for an apartment online is kind of making me reconsider.
Re: Tuscany, yeah it's mostly undergrads, but it's more quiet of a complex than some of the other apartments in the area.

monkeyKT

Bronze

Post by monkeyKT » Tue May 12, 2015 1:27 pm

long shot but has anyone tried to negotiate for more $ using a wait list acceptance/$?

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 pm

@Brojan, thanks!

@sean, I really thought you were going to a T14. That must have been a difficult decision. Congrats on your decision, I'll add you on pp. 1.

Also, we need more people representing here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=245085.

@KT, I stopped posting in the Waiting forum, but I did get into other schools. I was WL->admitted $$$, but I tossed that offer out without showing it to MB because I wasn't seriously considering it. I got into another school recently, which I am seriously considering, at which I'm waiting on the final financial package. I think it's fair if I show her only the offers that I'm seriously considering.

Also, we need to move our financial aid discussions to pms and other venues.

Does anyone know if Spivey said that there would be a lot of WL activity this year? Thanks. .

spencercross

Bronze

Post by spencercross » Wed May 13, 2015 1:11 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Does anyone know if Spivey said that there would be a lot of WL activity this year? Thanks. .
I swear I saw him post somewhere that he expected a lot because the dip in high scorers would result in a lot of people double depositing and making final decisions later in the cycle. I thought it was on /r/lawschooladmissions, but I looked through his posts and can't find it so take that with a grain of salt. He did post about waitlists recently and said "We predict more waitlist activity is coming, and coming soon."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Wed May 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Yes he did say that but so far waitlist activity is nothing out of ordinary given decline in higher LSAT scores. I think schools just adjusted that for that reality and admitted those they would have waitlisted/rejected in past years.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm

spencercross wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:Does anyone know if Spivey said that there would be a lot of WL activity this year? Thanks. .
I swear I saw him post somewhere that he expected a lot because the dip in high scorers would result in a lot of people double depositing and making final decisions later in the cycle. I thought it was on /r/lawschooladmissions, but I looked through his posts and can't find it so take that with a grain of salt. He did post about waitlists recently and said "We predict more waitlist activity is coming, and coming soon."
Good to know thanks!!
(Thanks for being so helpful. It's really too bad we can't be classmates.)
---
Also, is there anything on FB about
1. First year spring elective,
2. Dean Designate Guzman, and/or
3. Who is replacing Dean R to teach contracts next year?

Thanks

UCLAHopeful2015

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2015 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:36 pm

The Facebook group is pretty inactive. They used it more for the purposes of selling students on the school more than anything. You're probably better off directly asking usc

Boredlaw

New

Post by Boredlaw » Sat May 16, 2015 12:40 pm

The FB page is useless. The admin posts stuff that is not relevant/misleading and hasn't really been helpful to people asking him questions and therefore people stopped asking. To be fair though the page is full of people who are not going to USC, I'm sure by the end of the of month(2nd deposit due) maybe those not going will be replaced by those who are. The Vanderbilt FB was the same way until just recently students who are going for sure created their own site and are only letting people who are 100% committed in it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”