DC C+F Concern; fired from part time retail job Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lawlawland94

New

DC C+F Concern; fired from part time retail job

Post by lawlawland94 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:15 pm

I am a 3L and the character and fitness application is sending my anxiety through the roof. Earlier this year (2020) I was "removed from the schedule" aka fired from a part-time retail job for missing a shift. I thought I had told my supervisor I would be out of town but apparently she didn't know, got really upset and fired me. I take full responsibility, I should have confirmed she knew. I had never missed work before and I had no other issues at the job. Now I am concerned because this was so recent it will be a red flag for C+F. I haven't been fired from any other job and Ive had several "real Jobs." I plan to disclose, obviously. I also defaulted on a PayPal credit card debit but it's fine now, and I have definitely gotten speeding tickets due to speed cameras where I live. Any thoughts or advice? Should I consult an attorney?

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Re: DC C+F Concern; fired from part time retail job

Post by Ultramar vistas » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:46 pm

If this is the actual reason you were fired, there are zero c + f issues here.

If you were fired for stealing, consult an attorney.

lawlawland94

New

Post by lawlawland94 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks! 100% the actual reason. I also have email correspondence from my supervisor where she states I was removed from the schedule due to being a "no show." Should I include the email? or just let her tell them when the reach out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:05 pm

lawlawland94 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:15 pm
I am a 3L and the character and fitness application is sending my anxiety through the roof. Earlier this year (2020) I was "removed from the schedule" aka fired from a part-time retail job for missing a shift. I thought I had told my supervisor I would be out of town but apparently she didn't know, got really upset and fired me. I take full responsibility, I should have confirmed she knew. I had never missed work before and I had no other issues at the job. Now I am concerned because this was so recent it will be a red flag for C+F. I haven't been fired from any other job and Ive had several "real Jobs." I plan to disclose, obviously. I also defaulted on a PayPal credit card debit but it's fine now, and I have definitely gotten speeding tickets due to speed cameras where I live. Any thoughts or advice? Should I consult an attorney?
Target fired me when I was in undergrad for missing a shift I thought I had covered by a coworker. I disclosed it for C & F and it was a total non-issue. You'll be fine.

sleeplessindc

New

Post by sleeplessindc » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:34 pm

While preparing my own Character & Fitness application, I spent a huge amount of time researching how C & F applications are evaluated. Here's an example of a good resource: https://thebarexaminer.org/wp-content/u ... Update.pdf.

Based on all that, I think you shouldn't worry about that job. Just disclose what happened. I am pretty sure that bar examiners will make sure to contact employers for jobs where you were fired to fill out a recommendation form, so be aware of that. But even if your former boss says she wouldn't hire you again, it's hard for me to see how you being terminated from that job for that reason would be any bar to you passing C & F. I know people who had been fired more than once over their career pass C & F just fine.

I also haven't heard of applicants being rejected during C&F due to a few speeding tickets, and the credit card default sounds like an isolated incident. (If you had been fired from 10 consecutive jobs for missing shifts, or gotten a bunch of speeding tickets in the past few years, or defaulted on numerous debts, that'd be a different story, as those incidents would seem indicative of a troubling pattern. But that's not your situation.)

Again, I don't think you should worry. But read that article I linked to above to judge for yourself. And remember to disclose!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 am

sleeplessindc wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:34 pm
Here's an example of a good resource: https://thebarexaminer.org/wp-content/u ... Update.pdf.
Wow. That Alaska case is... something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm

I was fired from a job for missing a team meeting (which I assume is similar to missing a shift), and I disclosed it very matter-of-factly on my DC C&F app. Passed C&F with no problems at all. If that's the only issue with your app, just neutrally disclose the facts and you're fine.

ETA: I also had a speeding ticket, and no issues with that either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”