So Stressed I Can't Focus?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

So Stressed I Can't Focus?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 pm

I have never before had problems concentrating, but I feel so stressed and anxious that I cannot concentrate on studying for the bar. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with this? I feel like simple tasks and chores easily overwhelm me now, and there have been a number of days where I sit and stare blankly at my computer screen all day.

miro

New

Re: So Stressed I Can't Focus?

Post by miro » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:30 pm

Have you tried using a Pomodoro timer or another timer/app where you work on one task for 25 minutes, then take a short break? It's helpful to break tasks down like that, at least for me.

Another thing I found helpful while studying for the bar (which is less feasible now) was going to the library to study. I think there's something about being around other (stressed) people who are also studying for the bar that helps you focus. You could try to replicate that with something like a group text/videochat where you check in regularly.

rhs67858

New

Post by rhs67858 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Likely, you need to get some fresh air or exercise. It does not matter for how long just take a long walk outside at a minimum. Shock your system into an unknown-having-to-quickly-adapt situation like pushups/situps/yoda stuff from YouTube or a quick run, and then see how you feel coming back to studying. I am assuming you're taking Oct? Everyday get some fresh air or exercise until then. Bonus: That oxygen to the brain with help.

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:40 pm

These symptoms really do define "burnout." You could use a couple days away from the books so that when you come back to them you'll be better able to focus and concentrate. For sure any time lost will be made up if your productivity increases as a result of the break.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:27 pm

OP - my stress and anxiety markedly decrease when I have a plan b.

Essentially when I have a plan for the worst case scenario, it just decreases my stress.

Right now there is so much pressure on you because you feel like you MUST pass.

But sit down and really plan out what will happen if the worst thing occurs.

For you, the worst thing that will happen is that you don't pass. So what happens if you don't pass? Have a real plan for that.

For me, I figured that if I didn't pass I would have to dip into my savings, I would give myself at least one more opportunity to pass the California bar, I might take on some side jobs, etc etc.

Having an alternate plan for the worst case scenario took so much stress and anxiety off of my shoulders.

If you pass that's great but having a plan for not passing gets some stress off of you and you'll just attack your studies as you would anything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”