C&F Issue

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

C&F Issue

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:57 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleeplessindc

New

Re: C&F Issue

Post by sleeplessindc » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 am

Oy.

I think you should listen to your C&F attorney.

For the record, I do think a professor giving you a zero on an assignment for plagiarism is a clear instance of formal disciplinary action. You did it twice. I'm not a C&F lawyer or expert, but based on all my studying of this issue, my hunch is that a state bar might approve an applicant in your situation if a lot of time has passed since the incidents and the applicant has not just led an exemplary life since then but has also shown a lot of redeeming effort. But if the bar counts your 2016 law school application as another instance of deceit, well, 4 years ago isn't that long ago.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:34 pm

sleeplessindc wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 am
Oy.

I think you should listen to your C&F attorney.

For the record, I do think a professor giving you a zero on an assignment for plagiarism is a clear instance of formal disciplinary action. You did it twice. I'm not a C&F lawyer or expert, but based on all my studying of this issue, my hunch is that a state bar might approve an applicant in your situation if a lot of time has passed since the incidents and the applicant has not just led an exemplary life since then but has also shown a lot of redeeming effort. But if the bar counts your 2016 law school application as another instance of deceit, well, 4 years ago isn't that long ago.
Yeah, OP, you need an attorney.

In our state, honest mistakes are okay. So if the question on you LS application wasn't clearly worded and you really didn't think that a zero constituted formal discipline, I think that would be okay.

I think you need to disclose on the C&F out of an abundance of caution.

But then there is the second layer of concern, which will be that you plagiarised twice, with the second instance being a year removed from the first. I'm not sure if the timing makes it better or worse, but its not a one time error in judgment.

You're doing the right thing by getting an attorney. Maybe the fact that it was a long time ago and you haven't been caught cheating through law school will weigh in your favor, but I think an attorney will best know how to represent your case.

When I had a C&F issue, I think I got a letter from my law school saying, essentially, that they would have admitted me even if I had told them about the issue. It was a long time ago, so it's hard to remember, but I think that conversation and letter happened.

But get an attorney OP!

ETA - oh wow, was re-reading and the application specifically asked about instances of plagiarism and you said no.

I'm sorry OP, I know I always say the sky is falling with c&f issues, but this time....it might be.

I think the bar would accept a different and acceptable interpretation of "formal discipline"

But "forgetting" two instances of plagiarism less than five years before filling out the application? I don't see that being okay.

And if your LS directly asked about plagiarism and you lied about two instances of it (maybe you didn't mean to lie, but that's what it amounts to) it's unlikely you'll get a letter saying they would have accepted you regardless.

Please go see and C&F attorney. Hopefully you can get ahead of this issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:12 pm

I’d get an attorney. It’s pretty common to have to amend your law school application because you forgot something (I forgot an underage drinking ticket... for similar reasons, it was several years ago and I was embarrassed about it and pushed it out of my mind, but I amended during 2L), but the fact that you never amended while you were in law school seems problematic. Also seems problematic that you forgot to disclose not one, but two pretty clear instances of plagiarism.

deanrobbins1

New

Post by deanrobbins1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 am

rcharter1978, did you get dinged by C&F?

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:43 am

deanrobbins1 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 am
rcharter1978, did you get dinged by C&F?
I'm not sure what you mean by dinged? The bar sent an inquiry, but I got an attorney and we cleared it up before it went beyond the initial inquiry.

I'm not being recalcitrant, I'm just not sure if by dinged you meant being denied for a c&f issue or having to attend a hearing or even any inquiry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”