Is following Barbri PSP enough?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Is following Barbri PSP enough?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 pm

I’m a September taker. So far I’ve mostly just been following the Barbri PSP while reviewing my notes/model answers. That ends up being around 3-6 hours a day. It’s very hard to judge where I should be at this point, especially with the extra time I have to study now. I don’t want to get to comfortable with that. In the experience of those who took the bar, is it worth supplementing much outside the PSP? I figured I might start doing so once I reach the halfway point if I feel like I’m not memorizing enough, as it seems like just memorizing the frequently tested black letter law is probably the most important thing to do. Does the PSP start to transition to more memorization-oriented tasks at some point, or does Barbri just leave the memorizing part up to you?

hello9876

New

Re: Is following Barbri PSP enough?

Post by hello9876 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:10 pm

I am studying for July and about halfway done with the PSP. I have been doing Barbri + Critical Pass Flahscards when I feel like I need to brush up on a subject - so far that has been working very well for me. I do about 4-5 hours of studying a day (I started early).

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:54 pm

The hope is that the program is enough. BarBri has been doing this a very long time and for sure they should be providing a product that covers what you need to pass the exam. I'd just say that you shouldn't be against supplementing if you feel like the program moving too slow or that you could be doing more, etc. In other words, people shouldn't feel that it's required to supplement, but working through Adaptibar and such to supplement the bar-review course works for many people.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Bump because I share OP's concerns. I just started bar prep on Monday for a September exam (so 9 full weeks of studying). I've just been following the PSP so far but the assignments only consist of lectures and small question sets. I feel like I am missing something.....is reading your outline/taking practice tests and additional practice problems not built into the PSP (i.e. is reading outlines and doing practice problems something you do in addition to the PSP, or is it part of the PSP)?

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:54 pm

My running list of MBE supplements for when you feel that Barbri or Themis isn’t enough for passing the bar.

1) Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - available on Amazon. Fairly cheap book. Has good tips on approaching the MBE and contains lots of practice questions.

2) Adaptibar (http://www.adaptibar.com) - I didn't use this, but wish I had since it has received raving reviews. The only con to Adaptibar is the price.

3) Barmax MBE Questions (https://getbarmax.com/barmax-mbe-questions/ - supposedly "comparable" to Adaptibar). At only $249, it's a good price, but Adaptibar has tracking tools to individualize your MBE study and show your progress in a method that Barmax can't. But Barmax seems to be more economical than Adaptibar. You also need an iOS device to use it.

4) OPE from the MBE site to practice the most recent test questions: http://store.ncbex.org/all-online-practice-exams/. OPE it isn't the cheapest option, but these are real, recent MBE questions and not the souped up Barbri ones. Barbri questions are not representative of the modern MBE. I hear Barmax has all these OPEs included.

5) Critical Pass (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/MVL2ZG3 referral link contains a discount) - Great flashcards for the MBE! You can't apply the law to an MBE question, if you don't know the law. I used Critical Pass for my bar study along with the CMR from Barbri and their simulated questions (although the Barbri questions are very different than actual MBE questions). I also used Emanuel's S&T during my study period, but not as much as I should have since it's a great resource.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”