Barbri MEE Questions Rubric - Reliable?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MAPP

Bronze

Barbri MEE Questions Rubric - Reliable?

Post by MAPP » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:31 am

I have finishing taking 4 Barbri MEE questions (2 Contracts, Evidence, and Torts) and scored below passing on all of them when I self-graded. However, I have scored above passing on the practice MBE 25 question sets (74% correct for Torts and 80% correct for contracts). The self-graded MEE rubric seems odd to me. Is this Barbri's own rubric or is it based on how the actual UBE MEE will be scored? Because I addressed issues of law that clearly were implicated but were not part of the scoring rubric (also, there seems to be billions of points in the MEE rubric for simply stating things like "this is a hearsay within hearsay issue" which overall seems to give those minor issues too much weight). I'm also just wondering if anyone else is having issues with Barbri's MEE questions...

notorious_mig

Bronze

Re: Barbri MEE Questions Rubric - Reliable?

Post by notorious_mig » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 am

Wow yes I am having a very similar experience and it’s making me anxious af!!! I just did an evidence essay and I felt really good about it until I looked at the scoring rubric. For example re: impeachment I just went with the most specific relevant subtopic (“X can be impeached using their prior inconsistent statement”) and the rubric went into WAY more (what seemed like maybe extraneous/excessive) detail about impeachment in general (“Impeachment can be done using extrinsic evidence. Here, the extrinsic evidence being offered is X’s prior inconsistent statement”). I am trying not to stress because it’s July and I’m not even halfway done with the course but let me tell ya my attempts at not stressing have been 100% in vain

SilvermanBarPrep

Partner

Re: Barbri MEE Questions Rubric - Reliable?

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:57 pm

I don't know how close it comes to the actual rubric, but I'm certain Barbri intentionally scores low. Not a knock on them; they do this so that you continue to try to improve and ultimately (hopefully) score higher on the actual exam than you do on their practice essays. But it's for sure frustrating while going through the process.

Sean (Silverman Bar Exam Tutoring)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”