Serious - Challenging MEE scoring in my jurisdiction

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bananalaundrey

New

Serious - Challenging MEE scoring in my jurisdiction

Post by bananalaundrey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:16 am

My MEE results are bizarre. There are several anomalies.

I have also head several issues with the bar examiners in my jurisdiction. I am seriously questioning the integrity of my MEE scores.

Is there anything, at all, that I can do to address this?

nixy

Gold

Re: Serious - Challenging MEE scoring in my jurisdiction

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:57 am

Probably only whatever avenue for review of your scores the bar regularly offers. I have a hard time seeing bar examiners taking the time/energy to interfere with any one person’s scores. Lots of people don’t agree with grading of their essays but it’s a really hard thing to have perspective on.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:17 am

nixy wrote:I have a hard time seeing bar examiners taking the time/energy to interfere with any one person’s scores.
I have a hard time seeing how it would be possible. The exams are anonymous throughout the grading process.

Agree that the OP should refer to their state rules for challenging scores.

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:26 pm

NCBE recommends to UBE jurisdictions to avoid formal appeals and simply do a re-grade if the examinee was close to passing (which occurs before your results are released). Therefore, you are probably out of luck. Even having an answer that seems very similar to a released or model answer won't help. see Krutell v. New York State Bd. of Law Examiners, 21 A.D.3d 674, 799 N.Y.S.2d 680 (2005) (finding there was a rational basis for NY BOLE's determination of examination grades and the grading was not arbitrary and capricious or irrational). In this case, the examinee failed by 4 points. The examinee's essay answers were automatically regraded because her preliminary score was within 10 points of passing. The initial essay answer scores and the regraded scores were averaged, again producing a failing grade. After filing an action in Supreme Court, the Court found that petitioner's answers to the essay questions were remarkably similar to the sample answers provided by respondent and ordered respondent to conduct a further review of petitioner's answers. NYBOLE appealed and appellate court found that there was a rational basis for the Board’s determination of the examinee's grade.

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/ap ... 06359.html

If you have your essays, I gave give you a free 45+ MEE/MPT Analysis report (but you wont get it until late-June). It will tell you whether you used the likely issue spotting keywords along with a whole host of other statistical and comparison info. A sample of a July 2018 analysis report can be viewed here: https://seperac.com/pdf/SAMPLE-Essay%20 ... %20UBE.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”