Taking the Bar in Oregon

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
plutarchy

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 pm

Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by plutarchy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi all,
Now that the NY bar exam has been rescheduled, I am considering taking the exam in a UBE jurisdiction like Oregon. Is anyone aware of any problems I may encounter in transferring my Oregon bar exam score to NY? Also, how I would sign up for the Oregon bar exam without applying for admission to the Oregon bar?

shao0529

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by shao0529 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Curious about this as well. Hope someone can answer. Thanks OP

Never been to Oregon my whole life, but Oregon is one of the few states that is offering a bar exam in July and can still apply. For anyone who is familiar, how was the experience of taking the bar in Oregon / transferring the score to NY? Also, NCBE says Oregon offers courtesy seating but nothing in their application materials/website suggests that so wondering how it works...

Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 am

I'm also interested! I'm deciding between Oregon, Missouri, and North Dakota for July bar. North Dakota seems like the cheapest. Missouri seems like the easiest of the 3. Oregon seems to have fast score release (7-8 weeks) But I have no plans of practicing in those states.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by QContinuum » Fri May 08, 2020 5:08 pm

shao0529 wrote:Also, NCBE says Oregon offers courtesy seating but nothing in their application materials/website suggests that so wondering how it works...
"Courtesy seating" (if true in Oregon; have not investigated this) just means you won't be asked, as part of your application to take the exam, to state that you intend to seek admission in Oregon. There's no particular "courtesy seating" form or anything.

In a non-"courtesy seating" state, you will be required, as part of your application to take the exam, to certify that you intend in good faith to seek admission to that state's bar. If you then go back on your word, it becomes a C&F issue that can impact your admission to any bar.

shao0529

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by shao0529 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 pm

QContinuum wrote:
shao0529 wrote:Also, NCBE says Oregon offers courtesy seating but nothing in their application materials/website suggests that so wondering how it works...
"Courtesy seating" (if true in Oregon; have not investigated this) just means you won't be asked, as part of your application to take the exam, to state that you intend to seek admission in Oregon. There's no particular "courtesy seating" form or anything.

In a non-"courtesy seating" state, you will be required, as part of your application to take the exam, to certify that you intend in good faith to seek admission to that state's bar. If you then go back on your word, it becomes a C&F issue that can impact your admission to any bar.
I see! I saw Maine has a separate set of application materials for examinees seeking courtesy seating and thought that was the norm. Thanks for your clarification.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 08, 2020 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also interested! I'm deciding between Oregon, Missouri, and North Dakota for July bar. North Dakota seems like the cheapest. Missouri seems like the easiest of the 3. Oregon seems to have fast score release (7-8 weeks) But I have no plans of practicing in those states.
Better move fast. Especially since ND can seat max 85 applicants...

kpp737

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 1:40 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by kpp737 » Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 am

shao0529 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 pm
QContinuum wrote:
shao0529 wrote:Also, NCBE says Oregon offers courtesy seating but nothing in their application materials/website suggests that so wondering how it works...
"Courtesy seating" (if true in Oregon; have not investigated this) just means you won't be asked, as part of your application to take the exam, to state that you intend to seek admission in Oregon. There's no particular "courtesy seating" form or anything.

In a non-"courtesy seating" state, you will be required, as part of your application to take the exam, to certify that you intend in good faith to seek admission to that state's bar. If you then go back on your word, it becomes a C&F issue that can impact your admission to any bar.
I see! I saw Maine has a separate set of application materials for examinees seeking courtesy seating and thought that was the norm. Thanks for your clarification.
We need to investigate this. QContin guy doesn't actually know anything... The whole point of courtesy seating is so that you don't have to go through the longer application--especially character and fitness portion. Shoa, please post any updates on information as you get it. I'm thinking we may not have to complete every section of the app--like the onerous character and fitness section (asking and waiting for repsonses from employers). Thanks

dfrosti3

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by dfrosti3 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 am

Has anyone had any update on this? what states are accepting an out of stater who wants to re-take in July?

shao0529

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by shao0529 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:06 am

kpp737 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 am
shao0529 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 pm
QContinuum wrote:
shao0529 wrote:Also, NCBE says Oregon offers courtesy seating but nothing in their application materials/website suggests that so wondering how it works...
"Courtesy seating" (if true in Oregon; have not investigated this) just means you won't be asked, as part of your application to take the exam, to state that you intend to seek admission in Oregon. There's no particular "courtesy seating" form or anything.

In a non-"courtesy seating" state, you will be required, as part of your application to take the exam, to certify that you intend in good faith to seek admission to that state's bar. If you then go back on your word, it becomes a C&F issue that can impact your admission to any bar.
I see! I saw Maine has a separate set of application materials for examinees seeking courtesy seating and thought that was the norm. Thanks for your clarification.
We need to investigate this. QContin guy doesn't actually know anything... The whole point of courtesy seating is so that you don't have to go through the longer application--especially character and fitness portion. Shoa, please post any updates on information as you get it. I'm thinking we may not have to complete every section of the app--like the onerous character and fitness section (asking and waiting for repsonses from employers). Thanks
I think Oregon is quickly reaching its seating limit (as of 5/11, 435/~500 has been filled) so maybe just file a full application for now?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 14, 2020 1:54 am

Has anyone had confirmation their app was received? I tried calling but can't get ahold of anyone.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by QContinuum » Thu May 14, 2020 2:21 am

kpp737 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:03 am
shao0529 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 pm
QContinuum wrote:"Courtesy seating" (if true in Oregon; have not investigated this) just means you won't be asked, as part of your application to take the exam, to state that you intend to seek admission in Oregon. There's no particular "courtesy seating" form or anything.

In a non-"courtesy seating" state, you will be required, as part of your application to take the exam, to certify that you intend in good faith to seek admission to that state's bar. If you then go back on your word, it becomes a C&F issue that can impact your admission to any bar.
I see! I saw Maine has a separate set of application materials for examinees seeking courtesy seating and thought that was the norm. Thanks for your clarification.
We need to investigate this. QContin guy doesn't actually know anything... The whole point of courtesy seating is so that you don't have to go through the longer application--especially character and fitness portion. Shoa, please post any updates on information as you get it. I'm thinking we may not have to complete every section of the app--like the onerous character and fitness section (asking and waiting for repsonses from employers). Thanks
I answered the question that was asked - it's entirely possible to have courtesy seating without having two different sets of application materials. I stand by that answer. I also noted that I haven't confirmed whether Oregon actually offers courtesy seating.

I realize this is a stressful process, but there's no need for gratuitous insults. I wish you both the best of luck, and hope you'll update the forum re: Oregon's process.

Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:54 am
Has anyone had confirmation their app was received? I tried calling but can't get ahold of anyone.
Not yet. My check has not been cashed. But friends of mine who paid online (by "buying") received a notice of "shipment" by email (could be an automatic email, not sure).

rmprasad1213

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by rmprasad1213 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm

I'm late to this thread, but I'm also on the OR UBE train with the plan of transferring my score to NY to practice as well. My check was cashed by OR, but I haven't heard anything else yet. I emailed a week ago to ask for further clarification about registering for courtesy seating (specifically, do I have to pay to have my MPRE score sent to them and will they be calling my CF references). I sent a follow up email today and will let you know if I hear anything. Based on my personal research, I agree with everything QContinuum has stated. "Courtesy seating" seems to be a term invented by NCBE, not the states. Maine is the only state I have come across that clearly delineates a separate process for courtesy seating. I'm also hoping to find out if OR plans to have a pre-test quarantine requirement. Please let me know if you have heard anything! Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


BrainsyK

Bronze
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by BrainsyK » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:02 pm

rmprasad1213 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm late to this thread, but I'm also on the OR UBE train with the plan of transferring my score to NY to practice as well. My check was cashed by OR, but I haven't heard anything else yet. I emailed a week ago to ask for further clarification about registering for courtesy seating (specifically, do I have to pay to have my MPRE score sent to them and will they be calling my CF references). I sent a follow up email today and will let you know if I hear anything. Based on my personal research, I agree with everything QContinuum has stated. "Courtesy seating" seems to be a term invented by NCBE, not the states. Maine is the only state I have come across that clearly delineates a separate process for courtesy seating. I'm also hoping to find out if OR plans to have a pre-test quarantine requirement. Please let me know if you have heard anything! Thanks.
OSB emailed me saying that while there is no formal courtesy seating, you do not have to attest to your willingness to be barred in OR so once you receive your score, you may request the transfer. I haven't heard any details as to that procedure, but you will be able to transfer your score without being admitted to OR.

shao0529

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by shao0529 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:47 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:02 pm
rmprasad1213 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm late to this thread, but I'm also on the OR UBE train with the plan of transferring my score to NY to practice as well. My check was cashed by OR, but I haven't heard anything else yet. I emailed a week ago to ask for further clarification about registering for courtesy seating (specifically, do I have to pay to have my MPRE score sent to them and will they be calling my CF references). I sent a follow up email today and will let you know if I hear anything. Based on my personal research, I agree with everything QContinuum has stated. "Courtesy seating" seems to be a term invented by NCBE, not the states. Maine is the only state I have come across that clearly delineates a separate process for courtesy seating. I'm also hoping to find out if OR plans to have a pre-test quarantine requirement. Please let me know if you have heard anything! Thanks.
OSB emailed me saying that while there is no formal courtesy seating, you do not have to attest to your willingness to be barred in OR so once you receive your score, you may request the transfer. I haven't heard any details as to that procedure, but you will be able to transfer your score without being admitted to OR.
Thank you for sharing the info!

shao0529

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by shao0529 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:49 pm

rmprasad1213 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm late to this thread, but I'm also on the OR UBE train with the plan of transferring my score to NY to practice as well. My check was cashed by OR, but I haven't heard anything else yet. I emailed a week ago to ask for further clarification about registering for courtesy seating (specifically, do I have to pay to have my MPRE score sent to them and will they be calling my CF references). I sent a follow up email today and will let you know if I hear anything. Based on my personal research, I agree with everything QContinuum has stated. "Courtesy seating" seems to be a term invented by NCBE, not the states. Maine is the only state I have come across that clearly delineates a separate process for courtesy seating. I'm also hoping to find out if OR plans to have a pre-test quarantine requirement. Please let me know if you have heard anything! Thanks.
Same here. Check cashed but silent otherwise. Wondering if we should expect to receive any sort of confirmation or no news is good news :P

rmprasad1213

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by rmprasad1213 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Good news! Oregon emailed me back the following:

1. [Re: submission of grad cert by email] You can email your grad certificate to this inbox with reference line: [Last name] Grad Cert.

2. You don’t need to submit your MPRE

3. Quarantine requirements are unknown at this time. Keep checking our website and the Oregon Health Department. Very changeable situation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


pleasantjourney

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:51 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by pleasantjourney » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Anyone not yet got confirmation from Oregon Bar? A friend of mine got seating confirmation from Oregon Bar like 10 days ago, but I haven't heard anything from them so far. Starting to get a bit concerned now.

BrainsyK

Bronze
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by BrainsyK » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:32 pm

pleasantjourney wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 pm
Anyone not yet got confirmation from Oregon Bar? A friend of mine got seating confirmation from Oregon Bar like 10 days ago, but I haven't heard anything from them so far. Starting to get a bit concerned now.
Received 6/5.

pleasantjourney

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:51 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by pleasantjourney » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:50 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:32 pm
pleasantjourney wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 pm
Anyone not yet got confirmation from Oregon Bar? A friend of mine got seating confirmation from Oregon Bar like 10 days ago, but I haven't heard anything from them so far. Starting to get a bit concerned now.
Received 6/5.
Thanks so much. I just found out the email is in my spam box.

Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Out of curiosity, are you guys planning to fly in on July 13 if you are a out of state test taker?

Oregon bar explicitly recommended doing it and said the health authority "may" require this at some point... how likely is it that the health authority suddenly comes up with14 days quarantine order on July 20 and screw us over? Can they do that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


doritoslocostacos316

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by doritoslocostacos316 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 pm
Out of curiosity, are you guys planning to fly in on July 13 if you are a out of state test taker?

Oregon bar explicitly recommended doing it and said the health authority "may" require this at some point... how likely is it that the health authority suddenly comes up with14 days quarantine order on July 20 and screw us over? Can they do that?
Bumping the above question because I'm stressing over this as well! Is anyone planning on flying there by Monday the 13th for the 2 week self isolation?! I'd rather not live in a hotel for 2 weeks but also don't wanna screw myself over...

Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 am

Has anyone received their staging area, seating, and room number email? I filled out all the forms that were supposed to have been filled out by 6/19 but have not received the email that was promised by July 7th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:35 am
Has anyone received their staging area, seating, and room number email? I filled out all the forms that were supposed to have been filled out by 6/19 but have not received the email that was promised by July 7th.
Not yet. Maybe there is a delay due to the whole DP/Oct exam thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 349008
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking the Bar in Oregon

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:27 pm

doritoslocostacos316 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 pm
Out of curiosity, are you guys planning to fly in on July 13 if you are a out of state test taker?

Oregon bar explicitly recommended doing it and said the health authority "may" require this at some point... how likely is it that the health authority suddenly comes up with14 days quarantine order on July 20 and screw us over? Can they do that?
Bumping the above question because I'm stressing over this as well! Is anyone planning on flying there by Monday the 13th for the 2 week self isolation?! I'd rather not live in a hotel for 2 weeks but also don't wanna screw myself over...
Because I am delaying thinking about this mess... as a result I am effectively deciding not to fly in early unless they officially say I have to before the 13th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”