NY Second Department Admission

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tavy7610

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:57 pm

NY Second Department Admission

Post by tavy7610 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:38 pm

For those who passed the July 2019 NY Bar and apply for Admission in the Second Department, when did you submit the application package and have you heard anything back?

I submitted mine in mid-October. I received a survey email in mid-November saying I am receiving this survey because I recently submitted application for admission in the Second Department. However, I have yet heard any official confirmation.

I know the holiday season is coming up, but is it normal to wait this long for the confirmation of receipt? Should I call them to find out? Thanks for sharing your experience.

User avatar
tlsadmin3

Moderator
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by tlsadmin3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Here is another link that may have some great information for you.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10408587

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:39 pm

I passed in October and submitted my C&F packet the day after receiving results. Interviewed two weeks ago; just learned today that I’m scheduled for the 12/11 bar admission ceremony.

lawyersHATEhim

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 pm

Any update on Second Department? Completed application a month ago with no word since.

alex114

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by alex114 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:23 pm

lawyersHATEhim wrote:Any update on Second Department? Completed application a month ago with no word since.
I’m assuming you sat for July 2019? I’m waiting to hear back about the app I sent in last week after passing February 2020.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


lawyersHATEhim

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Wed May 06, 2020 12:31 pm

alex114 wrote:
lawyersHATEhim wrote:Any update on Second Department? Completed application a month ago with no word since.
I’m assuming you sat for July 2019? I’m waiting to hear back about the app I sent in last week after passing February 2020.
Yes. Completed in March. Sent non-expired moral character affidavits in early April upon request... nothing since.

alex114

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by alex114 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:49 pm

lawyersHATEhim wrote:
alex114 wrote:
lawyersHATEhim wrote:Any update on Second Department? Completed application a month ago with no word since.
I’m assuming you sat for July 2019? I’m waiting to hear back about the app I sent in last week after passing February 2020.
Yes. Completed in March. Sent non-expired moral character affidavits in early April upon request... nothing since.
Hm. Here’s to hoping I can get admitted by July, since my job requires it. I can’t tell if the 1st Department is faster or slower than the 2nd. I know a few people who submitted their apps to the 1st in October after passing, who just got admitted this month. I’d like to hear from more people in the 2nd department who sat July 2019.

When you say “completed in March,” do you mean that you sent the completed application with all parts over, or that they notified you that your application was complete?

lawyersHATEhim

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Wed May 06, 2020 4:13 pm

alex114 wrote:
lawyersHATEhim wrote:
alex114 wrote:
lawyersHATEhim wrote:Any update on Second Department? Completed application a month ago with no word since.
I’m assuming you sat for July 2019? I’m waiting to hear back about the app I sent in last week after passing February 2020.
Yes. Completed in March. Sent non-expired moral character affidavits in early April upon request... nothing since.
Hm. Here’s to hoping I can get admitted by July, since my job requires it. I can’t tell if the 1st Department is faster or slower than the 2nd. I know a few people who submitted their apps to the 1st in October after passing, who just got admitted this month. I’d like to hear from more people in the 2nd department who sat July 2019.

When you say “completed in March,” do you mean that you sent the completed application with all parts over, or that they notified you that your application was complete?
I submitted at the beginning of March (~3-5). On March 12, I was asked to send 2 character affidavits that had been completed in the last 60 days (2nd Dep't has an expiration date). I submitted those on March 19. Today, I was asked to submit an employment affidavit for my 2018 Summer Associate position--I had been under the impression that since I'm working there now only one affidavit was required. I guess I'll be waiting another 2 months.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm

I applied at the end of March and have heard literally nothing, not even that they have received my app. Is this typical in these times? I can't even get in touch with them to confirm receipt. Very frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


lawyersHATEhim

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Thu May 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm
I applied at the end of March and have heard literally nothing, not even that they have received my app. Is this typical in these times? I can't even get in touch with them to confirm receipt. Very frustrating.
Previous Anon.
If my experience is any indication, you would expect something back around 2 months after submission due to the current circumstances. Maybe by the end of May you'll get something, but they are at least back to processing now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am

I submitted beginning of March. Recieved a call near the end of April stating my application was complete and that I would receive a call soon either scheduling or waiving my interview. Haven't heard a word since.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am
I submitted beginning of March. Recieved a call near the end of April stating my application was complete and that I would receive a call soon either scheduling or waiving my interview. Haven't heard a word since.

Two things: (1) So you received a call and not an email? (2) Did you mail or e-mail your app?

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am
I submitted beginning of March. Recieved a call near the end of April stating my application was complete and that I would receive a call soon either scheduling or waiving my interview. Haven't heard a word since.
Why don't you call and ask?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am
I submitted beginning of March. Recieved a call near the end of April stating my application was complete and that I would receive a call soon either scheduling or waiving my interview. Haven't heard a word since.
Why don't you call and ask?
I tried to call today and got a recorded message that operations are suspended due to COVID-19, but I heard they were open and answering calls, so idk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am
I submitted beginning of March. Recieved a call near the end of April stating my application was complete and that I would receive a call soon either scheduling or waiving my interview. Haven't heard a word since.

Two things: (1) So you received a call and not an email? (2) Did you mail or e-mail your app?
No email just a call and I mailed in my application.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am
I submitted beginning of March. Recieved a call near the end of April stating my application was complete and that I would receive a call soon either scheduling or waiving my interview. Haven't heard a word since.
Why don't you call and ask?
I tried to call today and got a recorded message that operations are suspended due to COVID-19, but I heard they were open and answering calls, so idk.
Who did you receive a call from saying your app was complete? If it was someone who works there, you can call them on their direct line, and they may pick up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Does anyone know if the Second Department is accepting electronic submissions during Covid? The Joint Statement from April said PDF submissions are allowed, but I don't see anything referencing this on the 2nd Dept site or materials.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


lawyersHATEhim

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:07 pm
Does anyone know if the Second Department is accepting electronic submissions during Covid? The Joint Statement from April said PDF submissions are allowed, but I don't see anything referencing this on the 2nd Dept site or materials.
They are.
Has there been any movement in the 2nd Department?

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am

lawyersHATEhim wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:07 pm
Does anyone know if the Second Department is accepting electronic submissions during Covid? The Joint Statement from April said PDF submissions are allowed, but I don't see anything referencing this on the 2nd Dept site or materials.
They are.
Has there been any movement in the 2nd Department?
They are now open and you can call them to receive an update on your application.

I was informed that they have a lengthy backlog of applications to process and review. So it will be slow moving.

They are holding swearing-in ceremonies virtually on most Wednesdays.

lawyersHATEhim

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am
lawyersHATEhim wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:07 pm
Does anyone know if the Second Department is accepting electronic submissions during Covid? The Joint Statement from April said PDF submissions are allowed, but I don't see anything referencing this on the 2nd Dept site or materials.
They are.
Has there been any movement in the 2nd Department?
They are now open and you can call them to receive an update on your application.

I was informed that they have a lengthy backlog of applications to process and review. So it will be slow moving.

They are holding swearing-in ceremonies virtually on most Wednesdays.
I called and the automated message said that operations are suspended due to Covid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Any updates from anyone?

I submitted my materials in January, had to get a revised form to them in April, and haven’t heard back since being told the app was complete shortly thereafter. I called for a status check and I got the (what I assume to be) generic “your app is under review” response. I know they’ve been backlogged and doing ceremonies virtually, but it just seems like this has been an awfully long (and a bit concerning) wait even considering their backlog.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:49 pm
Any updates from anyone?

I submitted my materials in January, had to get a revised form to them in April, and haven’t heard back since being told the app was complete shortly thereafter. I called for a status check and I got the (what I assume to be) generic “your app is under review” response. I know they’ve been backlogged and doing ceremonies virtually, but it just seems like this has been an awfully long (and a bit concerning) wait even considering their backlog.
Did you ever hear back from them? I'm in a similar boat. Have been complete for several months. Am starting a new gig soon and need to be sworn in before that time. Just how bad is this backlog?

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm

I was notified that my app was complete as of mid-May, and on July 24, I got an email stating my app was approved without an interview. So, with my interview waived, I was invited to a virtual swearing in ceremony for July 31. (This isn’t the anonymous poster who submitted in January.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm
I was notified that my app was complete as of mid-May, and on July 24, I got an email stating my app was approved without an interview. So, with my interview waived, I was invited to a virtual swearing in ceremony for July 31. (This isn’t the anonymous poster who submitted in January.)
Congrats! That is promising news.

Anonymous User
Posts: 353825
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY Second Department Admission

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm
I was notified that my app was complete as of mid-May, and on July 24, I got an email stating my app was approved without an interview. So, with my interview waived, I was invited to a virtual swearing in ceremony for July 31. (This isn’t the anonymous poster who submitted in January.)
Congrats! That is promising news.
Thanks so much! Yes, I was very happy to finally be sworn in, and good luck to you and everyone else still waiting for the 2nd Dep! (I had noticed the other departments moving a little faster, based on classmates and coworkers, but they (2nd) seem to be adding more ceremonies more times a week to get rid of the backlog.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”