MBE Hacks? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
juniormint33

New

MBE Hacks?

Post by juniormint33 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:41 pm

CBX repeated here. Failed in July by about 15 points. MBE was low. I think about 120 raw. So I'm looking to bring that up this time around. I've been doing the slow and steady MBE grind, quality over quantity, writing out answer explanations in my own words and all of that. It's making a bit of a difference score-wise, but nothing major.

I guess I'm just wondering whether anyone substantially increased their MBE score with a new realization or strategy. I know there's no golden key or anything but any tips, tricks, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated.
Last edited by juniormint33 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Re: MBE Hacks?

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Do you think you are getting messed up by not knowing/misunderstanding the law or does the MBE multiple choice confuse you? I had problems with the latter and I felt like Emanuels Strategies and Tactics was extremely helpful. The kindle preview on Amazon has most of the first part of the book dealing with general approach to all MBE topics, which I have found to be the most valuable part of the book.

Disclaimer: first time taker here, but I was doing pretty miserably at practice questions before reading that section of the book.

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Also a repeater and am doing much better overall (+10% on my overall Adaptibar average) this time around on the MBE questions.

I think what has made the biggest difference for me so far was really taking my time reading the CMR and outlining the subjects before I started doing questions. I feel like I never had a good "framework" for my weak subjects in July and this method has really helped me in approaching problems/issue spotting. Lectures were not sufficient for me and forcing myself to read/outline has made rules stick much better.

juniormint33

New

Post by juniormint33 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for your input, guys.
UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Do you think you are getting messed up by not knowing/misunderstanding the law or does the MBE multiple choice confuse you? I had problems with the latter and I felt like Emanuels Strategies and Tactics was extremely helpful. The kindle preview on Amazon has most of the first part of the book dealing with general approach to all MBE topics, which I have found to be the most valuable part of the book.

Disclaimer: first time taker here, but I was doing pretty miserably at practice questions before reading that section of the book.
Ah, thank you so much for reminding me to do this. I have the book, but have gone straight to each subject and never read the introductory chapters. A friend who passed also mentioned that they were very helpful. Will do this tonight!
THE_U wrote:Also a repeater and am doing much better overall (+10% on my overall Adaptibar average) this time around on the MBE questions.

I think what has made the biggest difference for me so far was really taking my time reading the CMR and outlining the subjects before I started doing questions. I feel like I never had a good "framework" for my weak subjects in July and this method has really helped me in approaching problems/issue spotting. Lectures were not sufficient for me and forcing myself to read/outline has made rules stick much better.
Lectures are the worst. I'm more or less skipping them this time around. How are you liking Adaptibar?

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:02 pm

juniormint33 wrote:Thanks for your input, guys.
UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Do you think you are getting messed up by not knowing/misunderstanding the law or does the MBE multiple choice confuse you? I had problems with the latter and I felt like Emanuels Strategies and Tactics was extremely helpful. The kindle preview on Amazon has most of the first part of the book dealing with general approach to all MBE topics, which I have found to be the most valuable part of the book.

Ah, thank you so much for reminding me to do this. I have the book, but have gone straight to each subject and never read the introductory chapters. A friend who passed also mentioned that they were very helpful. Will do this tonight!
THE_U wrote:Also a repeater and am doing much better overall (+10% on my overall Adaptibar average) this time around on the MBE questions.

Lectures are the worst. I'm more or less skipping them this time around. How are you liking Adaptibar?
I love it and would highly recommend it if you have the money to spare. I agree with most people that it seems to be much better preparation than the unrealistic, often convoluted Barbri questions. Not that Adaptibar is easy or easier than Barbri. Just feels closer to what I saw in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Honestly I think quantity over quality is better for the MBE

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 pm

juniormint33 wrote:CBX repeated here. Failed in July by about 15 points. MBE was low. I think about 120 raw. So I'm looking to bring that up this time around. I've been doing the slow and steady MBE grind, quality over quantity, writing out answer explanations in my own words and all of that. It's making a bit of a difference score-wise, but nothing major.

I guess I'm just wondering whether anyone substantially increased their MBE score with a new realization or strategy. I know there's no golden key or anything but any tips, tricks, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated.
Texas repeater here. MBE was pretty much the reason I failed. I was like 126. This time I bought Critical Pass and Adaptibar. So far Adaptibar's questions feel a lot more like what was on the July exam.

Besides the obvious tip to practice a bunch, I want to share what my bar prep professor at my school told me. He had me take a diagnostic in December and we went over it together. He thinks my problem with the MBE wasn't that I didn't know enough law--I was fine on that, and you probably were too. He said where most people screw up on the MBE is 1) not reading carefully enough and 2) overthinking the question. In a way, a confidence issue.

Remember, every MBE question was written with an answer in mind. Some questions are tricky AF, but the more you practice, the more confident you become. Analyze every fact in the question. Remember, if they throw some seemingly unimportant fact in there (e.g. a torts defamation question where the plaintiff was a "well known politician"), it's probably there for a reason. Especially with contracts. Man, if there's one subject where you have to read every detail of the question, that's it.

After lots of practice you also get good at eliminating obviously incorrect answers. You also can't let yourself spend too much time on one question, or you might overthink the answers. I know lots of smart people from my class who failed the bar. I don't know what hurt them but I'd probably bet that lots of them freaked out about the MBE and overthought the questions, and were looking for tricks in them (I sure was). When lots of the time there is no trick-- the answer is right there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”