Scaling and the California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
s1m4

Bronze

Re: Scaling and the California Bar Exam

Post by s1m4 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Biotech wrote:So an easier MBE and more people pass CBX. Why the special brand of torture if it all comes down to that? (I missed Feb 2014 by 3 points. I'm especially bitter about that.) Statistically, it looks like I'm unlikely to have passed this time since my score dropped in July with the curve.
The point of all these stat analyzing is that exam is a crapshoot, possibly based on some quota outside our control, have faith.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Thu May 14, 2015 11:54 pm

s1m4 wrote:So any predictions as to whether Cali will push the mean MBE up to 137? Possible?
Only data I have is a screen shot I took of my Adaptibar averages next to CA state benchmark on Feb 25, 2015. I excluded Civ Pro because Adaptibars Civ Pro was just...awful, nothing like the real deal. So the 6 subject average on MBE day for the state was 127 raw. For July 2014 the average was 128 raw. A lot of people have reported they were pleasantly surprised the Civ Pro was so straight forward.

So it isn't as bad as a group (of CA Adaptibar users) for the average on game day. Whether that reflects the real deal or not, it's the only thing I can come up with.

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:58 pm

gaagoots wrote:
s1m4 wrote:So any predictions as to whether Cali will push the mean MBE up to 137? Possible?
Only data I have is a screen shot I took of my Adaptibar averages next to CA state benchmark on Feb 25, 2015. I excluded Civ Pro because Adaptibars Civ Pro was just...awful, nothing like the real deal. So the 6 subject average on MBE day for the state was 127 raw. For July 2014 the average was 128 raw. A lot of people have reported they were pleasantly surprised the Civ Pro was so straight forward.

So it isn't as bad as a group (of CA Adaptibar users) for the average on game day. Whether that reflects the real deal or not, it's the only thing I can come up with.
Is cali factored into the mean mbe ncbx statistics published after each exam? If so, mean mbe may be higher than 136.2, so maybe we are panicking w/o reason.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Fri May 15, 2015 12:06 am

s1m4 wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

Is cali factored into the mean mbe ncbx statistics published after each exam? If so, mean mbe may be higher than 136.2, so maybe we are panicking w/o reason.
We aren't the dumb ones, the NCBE can pick on the other states. Don't panick, it's your last night, relax and think positive.

Feb 2009 was a brutal scale, but this calculator isn't so horrible. Just put your guess of MBE scores as a total in one box rather than guess individual subjects. You didn't need 65's to offset two 55 PTs, that is with a 150 raw MBE.

Good luck.

http://www.davislegal.net/calc/
Last edited by gaagoots on Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 am

It's possible. I think also, they use our MBE's in California rather than the national mean. I was using the recently reported mean scaled MBE as a proxy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”