More marketable to be licensed in more than 1 jurisdiction? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LAWYER2

Silver

More marketable to be licensed in more than 1 jurisdiction?

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Since my state is a UBE state, I'm wondering would be it be advantageous to become licensed in more than one state? I'm already planning on taking the Feb bar in my home state of Michigan but wondering about getting licensed in other UBE jurisdictions.

horriblegb

Bronze

Re: More marketable to be licensed in more than 1 jurisdiction?

Post by horriblegb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:15 pm

I dont think so imo. I am also UBE and the market here is still concerned with people wanting to stay. Unless you have a position with a firm that has locations in those states and they ask you to, I wouldnt spend the money. I planned to sit for a second bar myself that was not UBE because it was my home state and my job told me not to.

I think the places it is really marketable is like NY/NJ and PA/NJ, but the west changes that. Idk sorry rambled

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:00 pm

I am actually considering taking the UBE after having just taken the July CA bar since my wife's family is in CO and us moving there at some point is a distinct possibility.

I am not sure how much more marketable it makes you, though. If you are in a market with another semi-populated state within 50 miles, I would say it would help.

jigglypuffdreams

New

Post by jigglypuffdreams » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Theoretically it might make sense if two states are close together or one of the states was a hub of business or importance, but wouldn't it just look like you're planning to go back home to Michigan? Not sure which UBE state you're in but they tend to be western states, so I'm not sure how many firms have a need for an attorney to be licensed in a random state a thousand miles away. Ties are usually more important.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”