How is life going post-bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Law-So-Hard

Bronze

How is life going post-bar?

Post by Law-So-Hard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:30 am

Hard to believe that it's been only a week since the bar exam began, harder still to believe this entire summer actually happened. I've definitely relaxed enough to have killed some brain cells, I haven't even started discarding papers and returning the Barbri books, much less looking for a job (no job lined up here!) exercise, and Netflix... I almost miss it, the structure, the thrill of putting in the time and seeing the returns when you can recall information.... ALMOST! It was incredibly stressful and I feel like I still haven't dealt with it all completely and I just feel really slow and bored these days.

OhScalia

New

Re: How is life going post-bar?

Post by OhScalia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 am

I still haven't done much with all my free time. It's almost surreal. I plan to finish some shows: The Good Wife and Boardwalk Empire; and to begin one show: The Wire. Other that, I will stay busy reading random articles online and engaging in long phone conversations before I take a quick bar trip in two weeks. Good luck chillin and jerb searching

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:21 pm

I think life is horrible because I don't know how I'm going to function waiting until November for results :( And since I'm going into family law - and literally basically useless unless I am licensed! - it just adds more stress to my life.

I keep thinking I've failed the exam and that thought just won't leave my mind so it's going pretty horrible. I still have all of my bar exam stuff in my apartment and have yet to move anything so that's another thing. It's impossible to completely relax. I planned on taking a trip post-bar but I've since post-poned that because I wouldn't enjoy it feeling this anxious about results.

Any tips for thinking about other stuff?!?

I think I'll put all of my bar prep stuff in the closet today and take down the charts I've posted in my room; hopefully that'll be a some kind of start.

JoanSloan

New

Post by JoanSloan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Any tips for thinking about other stuff?!?
Do something structured, commitment-based, and goal-oriented for a while. Preferably, non-law. Preferably, something that will let you channel that anxiety. For example, train for a marathon. Pick up weight training.

I actually have no idea where the last week went. It flew by in a cloud of beer, sleep, and netflix. I don't have a bar-trip planned, but I don't think I need one. I want R&R more than anything else (also, I'm broke from this summer, so can't do it even if I wanted to).

Until bar results come out, I have a paid internship/clerkship to keep me entertained. Man, it'll be nice being on a 40/wk schedule for once. And man, it'll be nice being able to afford beer and take-out again. :oops: Hopefully this unemployed/clerkship situation won't become an insufferable hell in a few months.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 pm

The biggest dilemma I have right now is whether to return the barbri books or keep them in case I failed. Some of my books are in pretty bad condition to resell if I keep them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DorothyV

New

Post by DorothyV » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Since I came down with a bad cold the day after the bar exam ended, post-bar life has sucked so far for me.

jigglypuffdreams

New

Post by jigglypuffdreams » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:55 pm

It's weird, but I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble adjusting. And people are already asking "So you started applying for jobs yet????" and so on, and it hasn't even been a week yet. But I'm a true K-JD in every sense of the word so it's weird to not have something to study for once in my life. And I think bar prepping really kicked my anxiety into overdrive so now it's just like a crash. My energy is still sapped haha.

Law-So-Hard

Bronze

Post by Law-So-Hard » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:06 pm

I am very relieved to not be the only one feeling this way. It was such a "high" in a way to prepare and go thru all three days (here in CA) and afterwards I felt sooooo glad to be done, that now I'm just too wiped out to do anything. I lack motivation, and I'm broke after this summer which doesn't help :?

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:04 pm

adonai wrote:The biggest dilemma I have right now is whether to return the barbri books or keep them in case I failed. Some of my books are in pretty bad condition to resell if I keep them.
I think I'm going to return mine because I don't know why you would go back to a test prep company/materials that didn't work for you the first time. If I have to retake, I'm looking at Themis or Kaplan plus Adaptibar.

The further in time it gets from the exam, the more doubt grows in my mind...it will be a long 13 weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jay Heizenburg

New

Post by Jay Heizenburg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Bad case of post-Bar depression. I've been drinking a lot ... way too much, watching TV, playing video games, and generally just being lazy.

Time to clean my act up and get a job, for sure. :wink:

iLoveFruits&Veggies

Bronze

Post by iLoveFruits&Veggies » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 pm

I definitely feel strange. Missing the structure, which is odd since when I was studying, I hated it. I'm not feeling good about the exam (CA) - really messed up the first PT, and thought the MBEs were really difficult - so I might start studying again in a bit... just in case :oops: I never mastered Civ Pro, so I might force myself to finally understand it since there will be no escaping it in Feb, should I have to sit for the Bar again. Ugh. Post-Bar Pre-Results Twilight Zone :shock: :shock: :shock:

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:08 pm

adonai wrote:The biggest dilemma I have right now is whether to return the barbri books or keep them in case I failed. Some of my books are in pretty bad condition to resell if I keep them.
Does barbri not let you retake for free? This makes no sense to me, Kaplan let's you as long as you hit a certain percentage of "attendance".

I started back at work full-time on Monday after working part-time while studying. It's strange being back in the monotonous life that is full-time work with no end in sight.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:13 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Does barbri not let you retake for free? This makes no sense to me, Kaplan let's you as long as you hit a certain percentage of "attendance".

I started back at work full-time on Monday after working part-time while studying. It's strange being back in the monotonous life that is full-time work with no end in sight.
I heard thats no longer the case. You just get a discount. Makes me hate them even more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:47 am

Getting married on Saturday, its been real.

Kind of sucks that I can't just have a day where I just sit back and do nothing. After the wedding I head back to work for a couple weeks then we go on the honeymoon, even that will be a bit hectic though. I just want a day on nothingness!

JoanSloan

New

Post by JoanSloan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Time to clean my act up and get a job, for sure.
Tomorrow, tomorrow...

Law-So-Hard

Bronze

Post by Law-So-Hard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Has it only been one week since walking out of the bar last Thursday?? Okay, that makes me feel slightly better about being (1) jobless (2) depressed (3) feeling like I've let myself go looks wise (hello potato chips and late nights studying and little exercise) and I haven't instantly bounced back yet (4) feeling like a total b**** and catty for some reason which is really unlike me.

I kind of feel like I need professional help but I don't know how to get it and I am not sure I still have health insurance thru school to see a counselor. I guess that would be a good thing to figure out since I have nothing else to do...

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Law-So-Hard wrote:Has it only been one week since walking out of the bar last Thursday?? Okay, that makes me feel slightly better about being (1) jobless (2) depressed (3) feeling like I've let myself go looks wise (hello potato chips and late nights studying and little exercise) and I haven't instantly bounced back yet (4) feeling like a total b**** and catty for some reason which is really unlike me.

I kind of feel like I need professional help but I don't know how to get it and I am not sure I still have health insurance thru school to see a counselor. I guess that would be a good thing to figure out since I have nothing else to do...
I noticed just about everyone looked a bit heftier during the bar. I'm finally starting to shed my bar pounds, lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm

hous wrote:
Law-So-Hard wrote:Has it only been one week since walking out of the bar last Thursday?? Okay, that makes me feel slightly better about being (1) jobless (2) depressed (3) feeling like I've let myself go looks wise (hello potato chips and late nights studying and little exercise) and I haven't instantly bounced back yet (4) feeling like a total b**** and catty for some reason which is really unlike me.

I noticed just about everyone looked a bit heftier during the bar. I'm finally starting to shed my bar pounds, lol.
I lost weight from the heavy duty July studying. When I get stressed, I tend to eat less or skip meals altogether. :/

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:17 am

iLoveFruits&Veggies wrote:I definitely feel strange. Missing the structure, which is odd since when I was studying, I hated it. I'm not feeling good about the exam (CA) - really messed up the first PT, and thought the MBEs were really difficult - so I might start studying again in a bit... just in case :oops: I never mastered Civ Pro, so I might force myself to finally understand it since there will be no escaping it in Feb, should I have to sit for the Bar again. Ugh. Post-Bar Pre-Results Twilight Zone :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'd go to disneyland and go to the tower of terror

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:33 am

adonai wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

I heard thats no longer the case. You just get a discount. Makes me hate them even more.
It's still one free retake. You just have to pay to have new books shipped

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:30 am

Flew home to see my family this week, even read a fiction novel for pleasure! "Hostile Witness" still law related but entertaining.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YYZ

Bronze

Post by YYZ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 am

I was told that we can retake the course for the February bar for a $25 fee and receive new books. Also, they told me to return the books for the deposit refund. So, you can double check with your Barbri rep, but I think you should return the books for the refund.

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:58 am

Not giving 0 fux about anything for the next few weeks. I deserve it After this torturous summer.

sammykeb

New

Post by sammykeb » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:14 am

Dreamt last night that I had to pee during the MBE. Couldn't find the restroom, so I found a wall in the exam room and decided, "This will do."

I didn't say it was a great dream.

Like many of you, I am jobless. May try to tutor SAT/ACT while I wait for the results. Anyone else conflicted over the I-should-work-for-free-at-any-legal-gig-that-will-have-me-and-hope-they'll-hire-me-after-bar-results plan v. the I-should-find-a-paying-job-any-job-now plan?

dallaseagle

New

Post by dallaseagle » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:28 am

sammykeb wrote:Dreamt last night that I had to pee during the MBE. Couldn't find the restroom, so I found a wall in the exam room and decided, "This will do."

I didn't say it was a great dream.

Like many of you, I am jobless. May try to tutor SAT/ACT while I wait for the results. Anyone else conflicted over the I-should-work-for-free-at-any-legal-gig-that-will-have-me-and-hope-they'll-hire-me-after-bar-results plan v. the I-should-find-a-paying-job-any-job-now plan?
McDonalds > free legal gig

McDonalds AND free legal gig > McDonalds

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”