Came Back from the Bar to a Cheating S.O. Advice Please Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Indy2014

New

Came Back from the Bar to a Cheating S.O. Advice Please

Post by Indy2014 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:43 am

So, I thought my biggest problems involved the bar/ExamSoft related anxiety. Turns out I was completely wrong.

I came back from the bar to find out my significant other was cheating. I only took the bar in Indiana because he lives here, and we were planning on getting engaged by the year's end.

Needless to say, that's not happening.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do about finding a job in a different state while bar results are pending? I don't have any close family or a "home" state. I'm pretty open geographically; biggest concern now is figuring out what state will accept an IN bar taker with no work experience. I don't know if states with reciprocity require several years of work experience. I guess I could stay in IN, but I'm not crazy about the idea (it's not my favorite climate-wise, and I have literally no other connection to the state besides my former S.O.). Of course, if I fail the IN bar, I guess I'm free to take elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help/resources/suggestions. Pretty devastated right now, to say the least.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Re: Came Back from the Bar to a Cheating S.O. Advice Please

Post by lacrossebrother » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:46 am

Don't break up

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:33 am

Sorry to hear that. Don't do anything abruptly. Make like its fixable and buy some time to get your shit in order. You deserve at least that much.

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:27 am

Indy2014 wrote:So, I thought my biggest problems involved the bar/ExamSoft related anxiety. Turns out I was completely wrong.

I came back from the bar to find out my significant other was cheating. I only took the bar in Indiana because he lives here, and we were planning on getting engaged by the year's end.

Needless to say, that's not happening.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do about finding a job in a different state while bar results are pending? I don't have any close family or a "home" state. I'm pretty open geographically; biggest concern now is figuring out what state will accept an IN bar taker with no work experience. I don't know if states with reciprocity require several years of work experience. I guess I could stay in IN, but I'm not crazy about the idea (it's not my favorite climate-wise, and I have literally no other connection to the state besides my former S.O.). Of course, if I fail the IN bar, I guess I'm free to take elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help/resources/suggestions. Pretty devastated right now, to say the least.
Waive into D.C. once you get licensed in Indiana. I believe you need to actually be licensed and in good standing with a state to do so. The process of waiving into to D.C. takes about 7-9 months (mostly on their end in reviewing your app) but you probably can find a job in D.C. for the time being. Thus, this scenario would probably be about a 1 year wait till you can practice law in D.C. (at least 7 months for the DC app + 3-4 months till results and licensing in Indiana). Essentially the two main requirements to waive in is being licensed in a state and an MBE score of 133 (scaled). The median for the nation, I believe, was higher than 133 so most passing scores will meet this requirement. App for D.C. is about $500-700 (can't remember).

You could also waive into Minnesota with a 143 scaled. Not sure of the wait time there. However, i've noticed the app for Minnesota to waive in is about $1000+.

The most obvious alternative option is to take another bar exam in February. You're going to have to face Civil Procedure on the MBE, however, which will be an entirely new beast. However, if you're taking in a MEE state, you won't need to worry about Commercial Paper (being removed from testing in 2015).

Think of D.C. as a key to other jurisdictions. D.C. has reciprocity with about 15-20+ other states, including Washington State, New York, and many others. Of course, the requirements to waive into other jx using the license from D.C. may be different (i.e., 5 years of legal work, etc.)

The other alternative is to kiss and makeup? Lol, then you wouldn't need to leave. My advice, give it some time. You're pretty upset right now but you might cool off later?

jigglypuffdreams

New

Post by jigglypuffdreams » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:26 am

Ouch, I'm so sorry. I wish I had any real life advice, but if you get a high enough score on the MBE (140 I believe), you only have to take the essay part in Illinois. Not perfect, but at least it's geographically close to Indiana and easier to justify taking both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:34 am

I disagree with anyone even joking about you making up with him. Cheaters are the fucking worst.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Assuming you pass, once you're officially licensed in Indiana, that will probably make it easier to look elsewhere. I got a job in a state other than the one I was licensed in, and pointed out to them that because I was already licensed elsewhere, I could appear pro hac vice until I get admitted there. As suggested above, you can also find out whether your score allows you to waive into DC. Although it's a long-ish process to actually get admitted there, putting "eligible to waive in to DC" may be enough for certain employers. Same with Minnesota, if you're interested in that at all.

Until then, just start applying in other states and see what happens.

Good luck!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am

Could get admitted in another state by taking a bar faster than waiving into DC. that shit takes forever. I passed the 13 july bar and I'm still nowhere near completion of the C&F for DC. Slow as shit.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah, def sign up to take another state in Feb.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 am

Cant you just tough it out in indiana a couple years for experience and then take it for another state at a later time?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:59 am

Just get a job in Indiana

n900mixalot

New

Post by n900mixalot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:39 pm

So ... were/are you working? Did you only just graduate? Do you have any financial resources to even move; i.e., what has been your major financial support for the last 6 months? Did you live together? Did you have mutual friends? How long can you remain living where you are?

Are you in a city or the middle of a cornfield?

You're lacking on the level of detail that would allow people to offer reasonable advice. Picking up and moving may be an option for some of these folks with "resources," but it sounds like you may need to be a little more ... creative.

And did he really cheat, how'd you find out? Was Bar exam anxiety and stress a factor? Was it with a man because if it was, girl there's really no going back with that one. Can't compete with that, no way, no how.

Try not to be a hot mess. If you can sit through two days of grueling examination, you can figure this one out no problem.

At least you aren't married. My husband confronted me DURING THE BREAK OF DAY ONE (I'm being dead serious right now, not joking) and accused me of cheating on him. I explained that I knew he'd been messing around himself, that I wasn't and am not cheating, and that it was a bad time. We talked about it and figured things out. It was a good distraction though.

Point is, we have 11 years under our belts. I don't know how long you two have/had been together, but relationships between different sets of people are complicated, and differ greatly from one to the next. All I need to know is that he'd take a bullet for me. Plus, we're both beyond our dating years. But if you're in a new relationship, and it's w/ a douche, yeah, split.

Anyway, this is about you and what you're going to do. Figure out your resources. The Bar exam will exist no matter where you are. You didn't take a UBE so that's out. You might as well find a job (if you don't have one already), and just stick it out and wait to see where you end up. If it ain't broke, don't go tryina fix it ... don't try to find more problems.

The place where you need to be will find you as long as you do your best, and try your hardest, and don't wallow in misery.

ALSO, federal government jobs don't typically require that you're licensed in the particular jurisdiction ... though they do typically want experience. Just get on USAJobs and give it a go.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 am

You should definitely leave him.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 pm

What do you look like?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Whatever your decision about career, you should DEFINITELY make your relationship decisions based on advice from top-law-schools dot com

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:52 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:What do you look like?
Also what does he look like?

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:15 pm

What if he trolls this forum? Lol

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Admission on Motion Chart is on page 46: http://www.ncbex.org/assets/media_files ... pGuide.pdf

I think it might be best to try to get a job in Indiana for the time being and wait for admission on motion in another state unless you just want to move back to your home state (or where you went to law school) and retake that bar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”