ITT: Working full time and taking the bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bildungsroman

Platinum

ITT: Working full time and taking the bar

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 pm

This sucks dick.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Re: ITT: Working full time and taking the bar

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:08 pm

5:30am comes early. 11:30pm comes late.

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:56 am

Bildungsroman wrote:This sucks dick.
when i worked full time and studied for the cal bar, I had to wake up 3am every morning and studied about four hours before I headed to work. i also listened to lectures on my phone whenever I was on the go (i.e., walking to get lunch, working out at gym, driving home, etc.).

Scarletlady

New

Post by Scarletlady » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 am

Just checking in to see how the other full-time workers are holding up. Also, I'm curious about others' study schedules and law school experiences.

Personally, I went PT through school, so I have been trying to stick to my 1L schedule of studying 7:30-8:30am, an hour at lunch, and 6:30-11:00 pm, M-F and racking up another 15-20 on the weekend. I'm hitting BarBri's targets, but I can't shake off the feeling that I could be doing more if I wasn't working (sadly not an option), adding more stress to what already is pretty terrible.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 am

i've given up...way too behind. Focusing on the feb test....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 am

Is anyone doing a pre-clerkship SA? I heard that some firms pretty much just let you study all day while you're at work and don't give you any assignments. I was wondering whether that was true or not?

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am

duskfall wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:This sucks dick.
when i worked full time and studied for the cal bar, I had to wake up 3am every morning and studied about four hours before I headed to work. i also listened to lectures on my phone whenever I was on the go (i.e., walking to get lunch, working out at gym, driving home, etc.).
You studied for the bar more than I am and I'm not working!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:14 am

I've gone full on PT at this point and I've already given notice that I won't be working the last 2 weeks of July.
Cannot imagine how the FT people are doing it.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:28 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I've gone full on PT at this point and I've already given notice that I won't be working the last 2 weeks of July.
I am very lucky to get the last two weeks of July off, but I am still working full time until then. Basically I keep getting further behind and am really counting on making efficient use of those two weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:I've gone full on PT at this point and I've already given notice that I won't be working the last 2 weeks of July.
I am very lucky to get the last two weeks of July off, but I am still working full time until then. Basically I keep getting further behind and am really counting on making efficient use of those two weeks.
Hey, Bilds!
How are you ??
I had a drink tonight with my law school mentor (a big firm partner I've known for years) and I asked him about this. He said to take it with a grain of "it was a couple decades ago" salt, but that he worked FT up until the last two weeks and then SLAMMED. He said it was the worst two weeks of his life, but he pulled it off... and I (we) can, too.
I'm doing Barbri and I realized fairly early on that I wouldn't be able to keep up with their schedule AND work (even PT.) Which course are you doing?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm doing Kaplan and have been able to (more or less) keep up with the lecture schedule. I've been scoring 60-70% on the practice questions, and from what I can tell I need to get in the 65% range. Kaplan's content ends more than a week before D-day, so I'm hopeful I can use that time to catch up.

The toughest thing for me is knowing that my friends have nothing to do but study. And seeing them complain about bar prep on Facebook. On the other hand, I'd rather be in this position than have to look for work.

Has anyone actually talked to their employer about what happens if you don't pass? It's insane to put us in this position and then punish us if we aren't able to pull off a pretty nifty trick.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 pm

I think if you take the last 2 weeks off and if you finish all the lectures by first week of July, you should be in decent shape. It's the videos that are holding me back. They take forever. That's why I'm focusing more on Feb. Debating if I should show up for the July test just to get a feel.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:32 pm

How is everyone holding up?

I requested the last two weeks off prior to the exam, however I will not get paid for it. So it'll literally cost me 2 grand to do so. I only work part-time, and generally have the liberty to study while at work (lectures, Online MBE's & outlining). I'm debating if should cut it back one-week off so I won't have to take such a financial hit. Any input?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scarletlady

New

Post by Scarletlady » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:03 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:How is everyone holding up?

I requested the last two weeks off prior to the exam, however I will not get paid for it. So it'll literally cost me 2 grand to do so. I only work part-time, and generally have the liberty to study while at work (lectures, Online MBE's & outlining). I'm debating if should cut it back one-week off so I won't have to take such a financial hit. Any input?
I just took this past week off and will back to FT through exam week, it honestly felt like enough for me, but I thrive under pressure.

Maybe negotiate with work for 1 week that may extend into 2 depending on how you feel?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:19 pm

I did this last year while working volunteer clerking for a FedGov ALJ for ~30 hours a week. I tried to go to the library after work, but when I did, I was usually too tired to focus. By the time the fourth of July rolled around, I had only gotten through like 4 of the 19 subjects, and hadn't even started on the MBE. I ended up taking 3 weeks off before the exam and basically did 15-hour study days.

I passed, but it was Illinois, which is kind of a joke bar exam. 90% pass rate for first-time takers.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:16 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:How is everyone holding up?

I would take the two weeks off. Maybe when you come back you can make up the hours, but it's much more important that you pass.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm

So extremely behind and jealously snorting at the complaints of people who had unlimited free time over the past two months to study.

This is a problem of my own making but it's still a problem. Thank goodness for the MBE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:So extremely behind and jealously snorting at the complaints of people who had unlimited free time over the past two months to study.

This is a problem of my own making but it's still a problem. Thank goodness for the MBE.
IKR! I've been taking the posted complaints with a boulder of salt, thinking to myself about the grown folk problems I have as well. (work, family, bills, etc).
The MBE is my money shot, although I've been going over the essays with a fine tooth comb, I have nothing memorized, but can put together coherent rule statements when the rubber meets the road.
I took this week off work, and praying that I've been using my time wisely.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 am

How did it all go for y'all?

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:21 am

sparty99 wrote:How did it all go for y'all?
Seemed pretty straight forward for me, but hearing everyone else complain about how tough the MBE was both worried and gave me hope. I was back at work this morning. It was good to be surrounded by people who all went through the same thing at some point. Can't wait till Oct. 4th, till then, back on the grind!

How'd you feel about it?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:29 am

I worked full time while taking a second state bar exam. It was a bitch but I passed. I also didn't have to take the MBE or I may not have made it. Also, to be fair, I got 5 days off before the bar exam to really cram, so that probably helped too.

It can be done--you just have to study smarter. And if you're doing BarBri (I self-studied for the bar I took while working full time) then you should know it is impossible (and pointless) to keep up with their schedule even without working.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:34 am

LAWYER2 wrote:
sparty99 wrote:How did it all go for y'all?
Seemed pretty straight forward for me, but hearing everyone else complain about how tough the MBE was both worried and gave me hope. I was back at work this morning. It was good to be surrounded by people who all went through the same thing at some point. Can't wait till Oct. 4th, till then, back on the grind!

How'd you feel about it?
I think it wasn't too bad. Prepping to take another state's bar in February starting Sept 1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”