Maryland Bar Exam (July 2014)

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
phooey182

Bronze

Maryland Bar Exam (July 2014)

Post by phooey182 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Just starting a topic for Maryland's Summer 2014 bar exam. I'm using Themis to study while working full-time. So I have no life at the moment.
Last edited by phooey182 on Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdx2014

Bronze

Re: Maryland Bar Exam (July 2014)

Post by jdx2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:35 am

phooey182 wrote:Just starting a topic for Maryland's Summer 2014 bar exam. I'm using Themis to study while working full-time. So I have on life at the moment.
Do you plan to keep working fulltime while studying?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:52 am

jdx2014 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:Just starting a topic for Maryland's Summer 2014 bar exam. I'm using Themis to study while working full-time. So I have on life at the moment.

Yup. I gots bills to pay!

jdx2014

Bronze

Post by jdx2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:32 pm

phooey182 wrote:
jdx2014 wrote:

ok, but Statistically you are going to fail then though.
Not any bad wishes, just hope you are factoring that in.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 pm

jdx2014 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
jdx2014 wrote:

ok, but Statistically you are going to fail then though.
jfc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdx2014

Bronze

Post by jdx2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:38 pm

@JFC

It doesn't help people to lie to them
Be prepared, I think a boyscout told me that as a kid once before he got lost in the woods or something.
But the moral remains accurate.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:34 am

jdx2014 wrote:@JFC

Be prepared, I think a boyscout told me that as a kid once before he got lost in the woods or something.
Well I've already passed the NY and NJ bar. And I'm working as a lawyer here in Maryland (that's my full-time job). And my boss is giving me time during the workday to study as well. Just not a lot of time. It's not like I'm working full-time in McDonald's.

Grapes

New

Post by Grapes » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:05 pm

phooey182 wrote:

Well I've already passed the NY and NJ bar. And I'm working as a lawyer here in Maryland (that's my full-time job). And my boss is giving me time during the workday to study as well. Just not a lot of time. It's not like I'm working full-time in McDonald's.
Did you use Themis for NY and NJ?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 am

You do get that practicing attorneys do this all the time, right? You don't normally take two months off to go to BarBri lectures.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BmoreSmarter

New

Post by BmoreSmarter » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:53 pm

anyone in here (im assuming most are) taking the barbri class online only?

I signed up for the live version but was trying to see how different the schedule was since theres a delay between them recording the session and posting online

So to online takers what subject was "today" for example (no need to post full schedule, Im sure that would violate some barbri policy anyhow)

JDorBust

New

Post by JDorBust » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am

BmoreSmarter wrote:anyone in here (im assuming most are) taking the barbri class online only?

I signed up for the live version but was trying to see how different the schedule was since theres a delay between them recording the session and posting online

So to online takers what subject was "today" for example (no need to post full schedule, Im sure that would violate some barbri policy anyhow)
Yesterday was Crim Law. Today is Crim Pro.

BmoreSmarter

New

Post by BmoreSmarter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:54 am

^^thanks

Just switched over from the live course to online only (i was wasting 2 hrs a day just driving) and now Im like 4 days ahead of schedule lol

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Grapes wrote:
phooey182 wrote:

Did you use Themis for NY and NJ?
I used BarBri for NY and NJ. I would recommend BarBri, even though its very expensive. I am taking Themis for Maryland and its pretty good too. But a lot of this material is 'review' for me. The MBE hasn't changed much in two years. I do think the BarBri lecturers are a bit better; more entertaining. The Property Law lectures for BarBri are phenomenal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 pm

jdx2014 wrote: ok, but Statistically you are going to fail then though.
Source?

Also, checking in. Using Themis. Heads up for y'all using Themis: it looks like starting next week shit's gonna be getting much busier. Not looking forward to that simulated MBE morning and afternoon sessions. Then a week after that I'm looking forward even less to the essay morning and afternoon sessions.

eta;

So when is it that we pay the fee to use our laptops during the exam?

And on that note, presumably we can bring in our laptops in a backpack/briefcase, right? It's just that I remember reading somewhere that backpacks were not allowed into the testing site.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Anyone have a condensed MD Civ Pro outline? Hell, a condensed outline on any MD subject?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:32 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabeapd2014

New

Post by wannabeapd2014 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Hope everyone gets good news tomorrow!

And putting it out there: I will buy your materials. PM me if you are willing to sell me your books, please!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dce7

New

Post by dce7 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:13 pm

By my calculations there was a 71.7% pass rate for July 2014, based on the results posted this afternoon. The pass rate in July 2013 was 78%.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crimsontide

New

Post by crimsontide » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:55 pm

@TheFutureLawyer: Sorry to hear.

Me, I haven't checked my bar results yet. And waking up to 16 (yes, sixteen) phone messages from the parentals eager to know my results really doesn't help one iota. I feel confident about the MBEs, but after not triumphing the past 2 times, I kind of want to escape to a desert island somewhere...ugh.

I am currently working (contract role) in a high-profile agency but I'm just so sick of my parents pressuring me to retake constantly. It's made me come to hate the law/legal industry with every fiber of my very being.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:23 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crimsontide

New

Post by crimsontide » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:33 am

Re: dropping out of legal industry/profession altogether: I don't know.

When I was in law school, I held an internship at a major organization (ie. equivalent to world's top pharma, Johnson & Johnson or AstraZeneca) policy-related. I always knew I wanted a policy role, and when I had a legal assistant role in-house a couple years previous, I was bored out of my mind--the work topics always stayed the same.

I've never pictured myself as a run-of-the-mill atty or anything. I don't have any family members or friends in the legal industry--they all went into nursing, medicine, or medical biotechnology studies.

And I still haven't checked my bar score, and told the parentals as much. I really don't care at this point.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:10 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hncsarge34

New

Post by hncsarge34 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:34 pm

I was really disappointed that no one got to be seat number 0666.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/ble/examresults.html

That would have been metal.

crimsontide

New

Post by crimsontide » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 pm

@TheFutureLawyer: I dunno about stressing. More like extreme family pressure making me a tad jumpy. It's not essential to a policy role. It could actually be a detriment if they think you're too overqualified.

I didn't check my numerical seat number. I did log into my jportal account though, and noticed it looked heck of a lot sparser than usual, saying "you do not have a valid petition to show." It does *not* mention "retake," or "petition" or "retake order."

I was also wondering how your approach to the exam changed each time?
First time: I was burned out, it was right after law exams, I came home to a tense situation (mother screaming at me all the time--literally, because I wanted to do a masters and she didn't want me to. Yes, the one I got cum laude in). It was absolutely impossible to concentrate. I took night bar classes, studied during the day.

Second time: 2 years post law school, right after masters program. Used BarBri. Since I was studying 3200+ miles from home, I missed the deadline to look at my past exam answers. Repeated my mistakes, plus had added stress from work re: a horrible manager who almost didn't let me take time off. Also, a lot of self-sabotage re: MBEs because I doubted myself too much and switched several answers to (probably) wrong ones.

Third (now) time: Wised up, moved to a different state/region/county away from the family, got my exam answers mailed to me, had the summer to study. I honed in on my essay weak areas, looked at/reframed MPTs carefully. MBEs were rough on me, so I had to completely reframe my train of thought. Lots of self-study.

MBE questions:
Is it a trick answer meant to trip you up? (Do you know what answer they want you to pick, do you know why that's wrong, and do you know the true answer and why?)
Also, I left 1/2 an hour early on both MBE sections because I didn't want to repeat my mistake of self-sabotage where I switched around 7-10 answers in round 2.

Hope this helps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”