How is life going post-bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Neve

Bronze

Re: How is life going post-bar?

Post by Neve » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 pm

JenDarby wrote:
adonai wrote:The biggest dilemma I have right now is whether to return the barbri books or keep them in case I failed. Some of my books are in pretty bad condition to resell if I keep them.
Does barbri not let you retake for free? This makes no sense to me, Kaplan let's you as long as you hit a certain percentage of "attendance".

I started back at work full-time on Monday after working part-time while studying. It's strange being back in the monotonous life that is full-time work with no end in sight.
I emailed Barbri about their retake policy, and the Regional VP emailed me back saying that you do get one free retake for the next exam (February), but you have to put a new book deposit down for updated books. I sent mine back since they will be worthless due to the new Civ Pro section on the MBE. I think it's better to get your money back now while you still have the chance.

And post-bar....it's getting worse by the day since I'm used to having a full schedule. Worked part-time during 2L and 3L and took a full load (5 classes). My summers were usually busy working, too. It's so depressing to have this much free time available. I think I might try to get a part-time job somewhere until I can find a permanent position.

JoanSloan

New

Post by JoanSloan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:23 am

So, I just found out the following: firms get suspicious when you offer to work for them for free.
Being told "no, you can't be abused here for free" tastes like a different brand of failure.

Thankfully, I have plenty of free time to ruminate about this. Horray!

Law-So-Hard

Bronze

Post by Law-So-Hard » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:54 am

Slowly trying to get out of my laziness cave...slowly... Just mailed the Barbri books back today via fedex. Frigging 50 bucks! Looking into some places I can volunteer though I really need some $$$ soon. On an unrelated note the film The Birdcage was so funny I laugh-cried. RIP RW.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 am

Should I buy your used books? I'm a rising 3L

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 am

Honestly, the only barbri book I really used faithfully was the CMR & MEE. The MBE & MPT's I used occasionally. Literally EVERYTHING else is online and printable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InTheWideLand I Walk

Bronze

Post by InTheWideLand I Walk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:42 pm

I went to Washington DC for a post-bar trip. While I was at the archives museum and was looking at the original copy of the Bill of Rights, a little kid asked me which amendment was the right to bear arms, and I told him it was the 8th amendment. He responded by saying "uh... Im pretty sure its the second amendment." Then i looked it up on my cell phone and felt like an idiot when i found out he was right. fml. my excuse is that I am not dumb but the little kid was just really smart.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:52 am

LoLz

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:12 pm

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:I went to Washington DC for a post-bar trip. While I was at the archives museum and was looking at the original copy of the Bill of Rights, a little kid asked me which amendment was the right to bear arms, and I told him it was the 8th amendment. He responded by saying "uh... Im pretty sure its the second amendment." Then i looked it up on my cell phone and felt like an idiot when i found out he was right. fml. my excuse is that I am not dumb but the little kid was just really smart.
LOL that's awesome. You should have told him you went to law school, then recommended against it.

CBXfail

New

Post by CBXfail » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:02 pm

I felt oddly happy coming out of the exam--I finished all the sections, felt like I wrote a solid amount, didn't have any obvious, catastrophic screw-ups. But every day that goes by now I think of another reason who I likely bombed this or that section--it's absolutely grueling.

It's really hard to decide whether to start studying for February now or wait until Nov. 21. I can't believe how little turnaround time CA gives you with its interminable release date.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:30 pm

CBXfail wrote:I felt oddly happy coming out of the exam--I finished all the sections, felt like I wrote a solid amount, didn't have any obvious, catastrophic screw-ups. But every day that goes by now I think of another reason who I likely bombed this or that section--it's absolutely grueling.

It's really hard to decide whether to start studying for February now or wait until Nov. 21. I can't believe how little turnaround time CA gives you with its interminable release date.
The majority of folks I talked to whom felt confident after taking the exam passed. I'm hoping to be one of them. I plan on taking another state bar in Feb so I figure I'll crank back up around October when the results come out.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 am

I'M SO BORED

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Hannibal wrote:I'M SO BORED
Likewise. I don't start until early-mid (?) September. I wish my start date was a week earlier for a variety of reasons.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Likewise. I don't start until early-mid (?) September. I wish my start date was a week earlier for a variety of reasons.
Yeah, same here (though I think we don't start until a week AFTER the bar results). But I had to move down here this month despite not knowing anyone, so basically I'm playing Diablo 3 for 8 hours a day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:07 pm

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:I went to Washington DC for a post-bar trip. While I was at the archives museum and was looking at the original copy of the Bill of Rights, a little kid asked me which amendment was the right to bear arms, and I told him it was the 8th amendment. He responded by saying "uh... Im pretty sure its the second amendment." Then i looked it up on my cell phone and felt like an idiot when i found out he was right. fml. my excuse is that I am not dumb but the little kid was just really smart.
That was cruel and unusual bro

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:46 am

Hannibal wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Yeah, same here (though I think we don't start until a week AFTER the bar results). But I had to move down here this month despite not knowing anyone, so basically I'm playing Diablo 3 for 8 hours a day.
I'm the 7th for dinner/8th for orientation. I've been at my place since a couple weeks before the bar, so there isn't too much to do. Mainly, the problem is cash flow. Waiting on the bonus to come in the mail. Fortunately, should be here any time now. Is super welcome and necessary.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:04 am

alicrimson wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
I'm the 7th for dinner/8th for orientation. I've been at my place since a couple weeks before the bar, so there isn't too much to do. Mainly, the problem is cash flow. Waiting on the bonus to come in the mail. Fortunately, should be here any time now. Is super welcome and necessary.
While cash flow is nice, remember this is the start (or resumption for those of us that worked full time before law school) of working for the rest of your life.

I started back at work August 4th and realized after the fact I really should have taken at least ONE full week off.

dallaseagle

New

Post by dallaseagle » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Obviously you are an urban liberal if you don't know that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”