Do you feel like Barbri adequately prepared you for...? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Neve

Bronze

Re: Do you feel like Barbri adequately prepared you for...?

Post by Neve » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:20 pm

lmr wrote: Kind of funny but i'm pretty sure the FHA question was actually in my easier (PM) set. Does that mean it's experimental? I have no clue how the test forms work. I just know for sure my PM session was more aligned w previous NCBE exams minus a few weird questions that made me roll my eyes and shrug in disbelief.
From my understanding, everyone gets the same 200 questions, but the questions are mixed up in different orders as set out in 10 Different Forms of the MBE. Different forms of the same test prevents cheating.

I think I got Form 3 of the MBE. Form 3 was very top-heavy, nearly all my difficult questions were in the morning. My afternoon questions were a lot better - easier and more "Barbri-like" compared to my AM set. I got the FHA and 8th amendment questions in the AM (my difficult set).

lmr

Bronze

Post by lmr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Neve wrote:
lmr wrote: Kind of funny but i'm pretty sure the FHA question was actually in my easier (PM) set. Does that mean it's experimental? I have no clue how the test forms work. I just know for sure my PM session was more aligned w previous NCBE exams minus a few weird questions that made me roll my eyes and shrug in disbelief.
From my understanding, everyone gets the same 200 questions, but the questions are mixed up in different order as set out in 10 Different Forms of the MBE. Different forms of the same test prevents cheating.

I think I got Form 3 of the MBE. Form 3 was very top-heavy, all my difficult questions were in the morning. My afternoon questions were a lot better - easier and more "Barbri-like" compared to my AM set.
So i guess it's possible that some people thought both sets were hard or easy based on how the questions were presented? That makes sense-i'm actually relieved that one of my sets was easier. I'm just going to hope the curve works out for us.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Saying Am or PM is actually confusing. In my test center, a group of people received the morning one in the afternoon while others got it in the right order (like I did). That's why everyone is saying one part was more difficult than the other. In the end, most of us are referring to the Fair Housing and Civ Pro 100 sets.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:38 pm

alicrimson wrote:
OhScalia wrote:I completed 35% of the Babri Pace program and I feel that I was adequately prepared. There were some tricky questions in the MBE, but Barbri's simulated MBE was way harder and only comparable to the PM MBE. I never finished Barbri 100 questions sets with time to spare, but I finished the MBE with about 20 minutes to spare for each section.
I'm the opposite. I did 100% of the paced program and all of the MBE questions (well, minus two mixed sets). I was getting 80%+ correct through the last three weeks and was finishing about an hour early. On the real thing? lol. Much slower and seemed much more difficult. Maybe it wasn't and I'm just more on edge because it's real? Everyone says it was more difficult. I don't know if it was tougher, it was just different. And game day jitters are a very real thing that slows many down.
How in the world did you complete 100% of the Pace Program? My life was absolutely miserable in trying to complete just 35%. I can only imagine. Man, you are a hardworker!!

Correct me if I am wrong, you took FL bar, right? I thought the FL MC was so easy even a caveman could do them. But then I heard everyone was complaining about them. I must have done something wrong.

lmr

Bronze

Post by lmr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 pm

OhScalia wrote:Saying Am or PM is actually confusing. In my test center, a group of people received the morning one in the afternoon while others got it in the right order (like I did). That's why everyone is saying one part was more difficult than the other. In the end, most of us are referring to the Fair Housing and Civ Pro 100 sets.
You are assuming the fair housing was in the same set for everyone. I had zero civ pro questions-fairly certain those were experimental.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 pm

lmr wrote:
OhScalia wrote:Saying Am or PM is actually confusing. In my test center, a group of people received the morning one in the afternoon while others got it in the right order (like I did). That's why everyone is saying one part was more difficult than the other. In the end, most of us are referring to the Fair Housing and Civ Pro 100 sets.
You are assuming the fair housing was in the same set for everyone. I had zero civ pro questions-fairly certain those were experimental.
I think I had some civ pro-like questions. I also felt like I got way more than 33 evidence questions...but I wasn't counting.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 pm

lmr wrote:
The civ pro were probably experimental, and that makes sense since the MBE will include Civ Pro next July.

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 pm

lmr wrote:
Neve wrote:
lmr wrote:Don't feel like this is Barbri's fault. NCBE is changing the way they are testing these subjects. I did over 1200 NCBE problems and all the OPE sets that were released. The AM session was just different. Fair housing? Bail/8th Amendment? 50% of prop questions were mortgage questions that were tested differently. There's only so much barbri can teach us.
We must have received the same exam form because after I got done with that very difficult AM session with those questions on the 8th and Fair Housing Act and circling a ton of questions (I circled the ones I wasn't sure on with the intent of going back to review them, but didn't have time in the end), I wanted to know why I didn't bring a noose with me to hang myself during the break. Instead, I had coffee and a sandwich in my car and reviewed my notes (and yes, looked up some AM questions) and got back for a far better PM session.....but still...those AM questions :shock:
Kind of funny but i'm pretty sure the FHA question was actually in my easier (PM) set. Does that mean it's experimental? I have no clue how the test forms work. I just know for sure my PM session was more aligned w previous NCBE exams minus a few weird questions that made me roll my eyes and shrug in disbelief.
Could totally be wrong, but I don't think the FHA was experimental. Part of NCBE's Real Property outline has the following:

E. Special problems
1. Rule Against Perpetuities: common
law and as modified
2. Alienability, descendibility, and devisability
3. Fair housing/discrimination

So I guess the FHA was fair game.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 pm

i don't think FHA was experimental either, because I remember doing a practice question where it appeared. can't remember if it was an old NCBE question or a made up barbri one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SammyJ

New

Post by SammyJ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 pm

jd20132013 wrote:i don't think FHA was experimental either, because I remember doing a practice question where it appeared. can't remember if it was an old NCBE question or a made up barbri one.
Barbri had a practice question where one of the incorrect answer choices was the FHA... Definitely not covered in the lecture, though.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 am

The FHA probably was not experimental. Although my law school property class covered the FHA, Barbri did not.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:15 am

I don't think the MBE's questions were mixed up such that someone could have an afternoon question in the morning and vice versa. After the morning session, people were talking about what they saw. I know NCBE says not to, but I heard those types of conversations and I'm sure everyone else did too. NCBE are not so stupid as to think that doesn't happen. So it would be crazy to possibly give an afternoon test taker an advantage by allowing a morning taker who got those questions to put him or her wise to them.

If people got the afternoon session in the morning, I am sure that must have been a mistake and not by design.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 am

For people taking the bar where you law firm is paying for the prep course, is Barbri the choice? Will the firm pay for more than one course?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 am

ze2151 wrote:I don't think the MBE's questions were mixed up such that someone could have an afternoon question in the morning and vice versa. After the morning session, people were talking about what they saw. I know NCBE says not to, but I heard those types of conversations and I'm sure everyone else did too. NCBE are not so stupid as to think that doesn't happen. So it would be crazy to possibly give an afternoon test taker an advantage by allowing a morning taker who got those questions to put him or her wise to them.

If people got the afternoon session in the morning, I am sure that must have been a mistake and not by design.
It did happen. First, you wouldn't have enough context to understand what the question was about if your friend started to talk about a question you did not have. Second, you would need to have little to no confidence in yourself to believe your friend was right and to simply pick whatever she told you is the right answer.

OhScalia

New

Post by OhScalia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:For people taking the bar where you law firm is paying for the prep course, is Barbri the choice? Will the firm pay for more than one course?
Barbri is the more expensive one, so if you are billing the firm, you should go with them. But Barbri makes you do a ton of shits that most people can't finish. I completed 35% of my program and have little doubt I'll pass the bar.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:28 pm

OhScalia wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
OhScalia wrote:I completed 35% of the Babri Pace program and I feel that I was adequately prepared. There were some tricky questions in the MBE, but Barbri's simulated MBE was way harder and only comparable to the PM MBE. I never finished Barbri 100 questions sets with time to spare, but I finished the MBE with about 20 minutes to spare for each section.
I'm the opposite. I did 100% of the paced program and all of the MBE questions (well, minus two mixed sets). I was getting 80%+ correct through the last three weeks and was finishing about an hour early. On the real thing? lol. Much slower and seemed much more difficult. Maybe it wasn't and I'm just more on edge because it's real? Everyone says it was more difficult. I don't know if it was tougher, it was just different. And game day jitters are a very real thing that slows many down.
How in the world did you complete 100% of the Pace Program? My life was absolutely miserable in trying to complete just 35%. I can only imagine. Man, you are a hardworker!!

Correct me if I am wrong, you took FL bar, right? I thought the FL MC was so easy even a caveman could do them. But then I heard everyone was complaining about them. I must have done something wrong.
Adderall is a helluva drug...:p

As for FL MC, I thought the guy that did business entities was spot on. Most of the questions were straight memorization type questions that were in the lecture handouts. I read those tons and I felt really solid about FL like you. I think Barbri did well. I can't speak re: FL civ pro because I took a course for that this past year, so Idk if it was Barbri or that course that prepared me. Either way, FL MC is notoriously you either know the rule or you do don't. It didn't seem like they tried to hide the ball. A lot of barbri studiers liked it, a lot of themis/kaplan kids didn't.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:01 pm

OhScalia wrote:The FHA probably was not experimental. Although my law school property class covered the FHA, Barbri did not.
It most definitely was not experimental. In my barbri course, we were explicitly told to watch out for FHA on the mbe because it was increasingly becoming frequently tested. We were given a quick definition. Fha was only one question on the mbe so it wont matter much if you got it right or wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:51 pm

I really would like to know what the answer to that one was just for my curiosity's sake because it appeared to have two right answers

Lilly76

New

Post by Lilly76 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

A specific MBE answer used to be here.
Last edited by Lilly76 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Lilly76

New

Post by Lilly76 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AJS30

Bronze

Post by AJS30 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:34 pm

I've seem to have gotten a lot wrong so far. Between remembering questions and reading other posts on other forums, I wouldn't be surprised if I make history for the lowest score in history.

Also, I think it's funny that people are making statements on how some questions were definitely experimental. While I get that the civ pro questions were most likely experimental, other questions covering the FHA or the 8th amendment are on the NCBE MBE outline, despite whether barbri taught them or not. The only people (unfortunately) who really know what questions were experimental are those in Wisconsin putting the test together. I just hope that the questions I did find easy and straight forward are actually counted.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:39 pm

AJS30 wrote:I've seem to have gotten a lot wrong so far. Between remembering questions and reading other posts on other forums, I wouldn't be surprised if I make history for the lowest score in history.

Also, I think it's funny that people are making statements on how some questions were definitely experimental. While I get that the civ pro questions were most likely experimental, other questions covering the FHA or the 8th amendment are on the NCBE MBE outline, despite whether barbri taught them or not. The only people (unfortunately) who really know what questions were experimental are those in Wisconsin putting the test together. I just hope that the questions I did find easy and straight forward are actually counted.
I think a lot of the questions people think were Civ Pro Questions were really evidence questions. I think.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:50 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
AJS30 wrote:I've seem to have gotten a lot wrong so far. Between remembering questions and reading other posts on other forums, I wouldn't be surprised if I make history for the lowest score in history.

I think a lot of the questions people think were Civ Pro Questions were really evidence questions. I think.

Yes. I had a very similar question in a practice set to one of the alleged civ pro questions. not to say there may have not been others--as mentioned, there were several "forms"

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:18 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”