Barbri paced program question? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mvpforme

Bronze

Re: Barbri paced program question?

Post by mvpforme » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Over the course of a bunch of Qs (barbri, ncbex, emanuels), I have seen the correct answer as both 14A EPC and 14A PoI clause. I think it is technically the latter of the two. I don't think A4 P&I is implicated because the statute does not deprive out-of-staters access to livelihood or fundamental rights. A guy who moves to California and is denied benefits would not have standing under A4 P&I as a citizen of Cali, just as much as a corporation or alien would not have P&I A4 standing.

Edited.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm

State laws that condition government benefits on length of state residency have also been deemed suspect by the Supreme Court. In Shapiro v. Thompson, 394 U.S. 618, 89 S. Ct. 1322, 22 L. Ed. 2d 600 (1969), the Court ruled that legislation denying government benefits to persons residing in a state for less than a year violated the Equal Protection Clause. Although states may restrict Welfare, educational, and other government benefits to bona fide residents, the Court wrote, they may not restrict the dispensation of government benefits in a way that would unduly burden the right to interstate travel or deprive interstate travelers of the right to be treated as equal to other state residents. Since Shapiro, the Supreme Court has occasionally applied more moderate scrutiny to legislation burdening interstate travelers, prompting critics to assail the Court for its inconsistent application of the three-tiered analysis.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictiona ... ion+Clause

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:54 pm

it still kind of blows my mind about how much they expect you to know for the state essays. especially in Virginia, the questions are very specific on tiny details of the law (im talking days of SoLs, etc). Is it like this in all states or did I just pick the worst state possible

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:01 pm

jd20132013 wrote:it still kind of blows my mind about how much they expect you to know for the state essays. especially in Virginia, the questions are very specific on tiny details of the law (im talking days of SoLs, etc). Is it like this in all states or did I just pick the worst state possible
My state sucks too. I kind of gave up on state distinctions and am just counting on getting a 150 raw on the MBE.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:04 pm

jd20132013 wrote:it still kind of blows my mind about how much they expect you to know for the state essays. especially in Virginia, the questions are very specific on tiny details of the law (im talking days of SoLs, etc). Is it like this in all states or did I just pick the worst state possible
Taking the UBE, but the MEE questions vary tremendously from question to question. One question will test the basic points on a major area of law (e.g., subject matter jurisdiction). The next question will test on something incredibly specific. It's a little frustrating, as there's always a risk I might end up with a question on the real thing that I just don't know what to do with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:07 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
My state sucks too. I kind of gave up on state distinctions and am just counting on getting a 150 raw on the MBE.
is your state 50/50 MBE/essays?
Taking the UBE, but the MEE questions vary tremendously from question to question. One question will test the basic points on a major area of law (e.g., subject matter jurisdiction). The next question will test on something incredibly specific. It's a little frustrating, as there's always a risk I might end up with a question on the real thing that I just don't know what to do with.
similar issue here

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
MoneyMay wrote:
is your state 50/50 MBE/essays?
similar issue here
Yeah. I mean I didn't completely give up but I can only do so much so I am memorizing the main ones as best I can.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:12 pm

i think 50/50 essays MBE is near autopass with 150 mbe.

i am hoping that i can pull out a 160 because my state is 60/40

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:14 pm

jd20132013 wrote:i think 50/50 essays MBE is near autopass with 150 mbe.

i am hoping that i can pull out a 160 because my state is 60/40
Yeah luckily I saw the thread by Desert Fox and MBE being an autopass early and have spent the vast majority of time on the MBE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:26 pm

If a commercial lessee has a month-to-month lease, and he impermissibly holds over, is the result a m-2-m periodic tenancy or a y-2-y?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:30 pm

mvpforme wrote:If a commercial lessee has a month-to-month lease, and he impermissibly holds over, is the result a m-2-m periodic tenancy or a y-2-y?
implied year to year

LouEVille

New

Post by LouEVille » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
mvpforme wrote:If a commercial lessee has a month-to-month lease, and he impermissibly holds over, is the result a m-2-m periodic tenancy or a y-2-y?
implied year to year
I thought that was only if the original lease was for a term of >1 yr or was a year-to-year tenancy.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:34 pm

oh yeah my bad, 8 hours of reading will do that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 pm

All you folks going HAM on the MBE subjects -- what's your level of confidence with respect to the essay portion of the exam?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:25 pm

ditch digger wrote:All you folks going HAM on the MBE subjects -- what's your level of confidence with respect to the essay portion of the exam?
relatively low

i'm hoping the essays only cover a certain set of subjects, and only certain topics within those subjects

completely punting admin, tax, suretyship

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
ditch digger wrote:All you folks going HAM on the MBE subjects -- what's your level of confidence with respect to the essay portion of the exam?
relatively low

i'm hoping the essays only cover a certain set of subjects, and only certain topics within those subjects

I was all over the MBE until last week when I realized I was close to screwed on state law. Focused on state law all week, and while I don't feel confident, I think I can BS most of it. A few days ago I felt much worse.

Law-So-Hard

Bronze

Post by Law-So-Hard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:36 pm

Ugh.....Evidence essays............. Throw up as much mud as will stick. I read the model answers and some random hearsay exceptions I didn't think to apply because I thought I already covered it are written. In the real world if you have one exception that's good enough but I guess on the Bar you have to just list them all :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Does anyone know what the February 2014 UBE essays were?

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 pm

The 2014 February MEE questions are out in the internet somewhere. I stumbled upon them a few weeks ago, but I can seem to find my way back to the website. I do remember that secured transactions was tested.

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 pm

mvpforme wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
relatively low

I was all over the MBE until last week when I realized I was close to screwed on state law. Focused on state law all week, and while I don't feel confident, I think I can BS most of it. A few days ago I felt much worse.
I'm in the same boat as you. My MBE performance is above Barbri's target and I'm starting to plateau, so I figured that it would be best to brush up on the essay subjects during week leading up to exam day.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Low to very low. I basically am looking at the 5 past essays for major topics tested and have blown off topics rarely tested.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 pm

not going to lie, now that I've done it I definitely won't recommend Barbri if simply because of the limited essay grading.

Anyone can self-grade MBE questions, but it's nearly impossible to get a gauge for how much you need to know and how much you do know for purposes of essay questions when all you have is model answers.

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 pm

jd20132013 wrote:not going to lie, now that I've done it I definitely won't recommend Barbri if simply because of the limited essay grading.

Anyone can self-grade MBE questions, but it's nearly impossible to get a gauge for how much you need to know and how much you do know for purposes of essay questions when all you have is model answers.

Good point. As an aside, I have seen a million barbri model answers, but what does an average bar exam answer look like? I would love to see the avg answer in my state.

TitoSantana

New

Post by TitoSantana » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 pm

It is important that you watch this link in its entirety in order to pass the bar exam. You're welcome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKSVXp03Ytk

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:26 pm

TitoSantana wrote:It is important that you watch this link in its entirety in order to pass the bar exam. You're welcome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKSVXp03Ytk
That was... earth-shaking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”