Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mez06

Bronze

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by mez06 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm

For any of the current students, are any of you aware of anyone who has transferred after their 1L year. And if so, what has been their rank and to what school they may have transferred to?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:43 pm

A couple people transfer every year. Personally I only know of one person from the rising 2l class that has transferred so far. They are going to CCN in the fall. They were at least top 10% but I don't know any more specifically than that. Some people are still thinking about it so check back in a month or so and we'll probably know who else transferred.

I know of someone last year who transferred to CCN and have heard second hand that they were ranked #3 but don't quote me on that.

I've heard that people in the past have transferred to HYS but don't know anyone by name. Assuming they were at least top 5%.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:15 pm

You haven't even started yet and you're already worrying about transferring? :shock:

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:47 pm

kk19131 wrote:You haven't even started yet and you're already worrying about transferring? :shock:
It's a simple question. If it offends you then by all means exit stage left. If you're threatened by someone's extreme desire of progression, exit law school.

To the person who commented. Thanks for the info!
Last edited by mez06 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:48 pm

mez06 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:You haven't even started yet and you're already worrying about transferring? :shock:
It's a simple question. If it offends you then by all means exit stage left. If you're threatened by someone's extreme desire of progression, exit law school.

To the person who commented. Thanks for the info.
Take a chill pill, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm

mez06 wrote:

You're going to be miserable in law school if that is the attitude you're going in with.

I wonder if your fellow Illini share the same inferiority complex and "desire of progression"...

As they say, 100% of 1Ls think they will be in the top 10% of their class... and 90% of them are wrong.

You should focus on doing the best you can in your school and not worrying about transferring before you've even attended one class.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 pm

kk19131 wrote:
mez06 wrote:

You're going to be miserable in law school if that is the attitude you're going in with.

I wonder if your fellow Illini share the same inferiority complex and "desire of progression"...

As they say, 100% of 1Ls think they will be in the top 10% of their class... and 90% of them are wrong.

You should focus on doing the best you can in your school and not worrying about transferring before you've even attended one class.
*Sigh* you assume too much based off of too little. I know you'd like to be viewed as a person giving sound advice, but quite frankly you're not. You simply regurgitated the basic math of a 5th grader that has been said over and over again on this website. That's an obvious fact my friend.

There is no INTENT on entering with the sole purpose of transferring. Is it an interesting topic that I would like to simply inquire about? Absolutely. And to infer some sense of inferiority regarding UIUC (my selected school) is just plain dumb and unfounded.

And I'm sure my fellow Illini and I share something in common that you obviously don't. The respect of a simple question. I'll leave you be so you can be a douche at some other school; or website forum. Good day.

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 pm

So Dean Pless sent me this list of firms/agencies that were present last year during OCI:

Allstate Insurance Company
Baker & Daniels LLP
Baker & McKenzie
Barnes & Thornburg
Bartell Barickman & Powell LLP
Berger Schatz
Bernstein Shur Sawyer & Nelson
Bingham McHale LLP
Bryan Cave LLP
Burke, Warren, MacKay & Serritella, PC
CAHILL GORDON & REINDEL LLP
Carmody & Torrance LLP
Central Intelligence Agency-Office of General Counsel
chapman and cutler llp
Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
Clark County Public Defender
Cook County State's Attorney's Office
DEBEVOISE & PLIMPTON
Deloitte Tax
dla piper LLP
Donohue Brown Mathewson & Smyth LLC
Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
dykema gossett pllc
Fitch Even Tabin & Flannery
Foley & Lardner LLP
foley hoag LLP
Gallagher, Callahan & Gartrell, P.A.
Godfrey & Kahn S.C.
goodwin procter llp
gray plant mooty
Greater Boston Legal Services
Greensfelder, Hemker & Gale PC
heplerbroom llc
Heyl, Royster, Voelker & Allen
Hodges, Loizzi, Eisenhammer, Rodick & Kohnz LLP
Holland & Knight LLP
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
Husch Blackwell Sanders Welsh & Katz LLC
ice miller llp
Jenner & Block LLP
Jones Day
K & L Gates
katten muchin rosenman llp
Keller and Heckman
Kirkland & Ellis LLP
Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham, LLP
Knobbe, Martens, Olson & Bear, LLP
Kopon Airdo LLC
krieg devault LLP
Latham & Watkins
Lewis, Rice & Fingersh L.C.
Leydig, Voit & Mayer
Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell LLP
Mahoney, Silverman & Cross LLC
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP
mayer brown llp
McAndrews, Held & Malloy Ltd.
McCormick, Barstow, Sheppard, Wayte & Carruth LLP
McDermott Will & Emery LLP
McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert & Berghoff LLP
mcguirewoods LLP
McLane, Graf, Raulerson & Middleton
Meyer Capel, A Professional Corporation
Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office
Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
Missouri Attorney General's Office
Modrall, Sperling, Roehl, Harris & Sisk
Morgan Lewis & Bockius
Moses and Singer
Neal Gerber & Eisenberg
New Hampshire Department of Justice
Nutter, McClennen & Fish LLP
NYC Law Dept
Office of the Attorney General
Orr & Reno, P.A.
Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker
Perkins Coie LLP
Pierce Atwood
Polsinelli Shughart PC
proskauer rose llp
Pullman & Comley, LLC
Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo
Reed Smith LLP
Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren SC
rhoades mckee PC
San Diego County Office of the Public Defender
Santoro, Driggs, Walch, Kearney, Holley & Thompson
schiff hardin llp
Seigfreid Bingham Levy Selzer & Gee PC
seyfarth shaw llp
Shearman & Sterling LLP
sheehan phinney Bass & Green, PA
sidley austin llp
Skadden Aarps Slate Meager & Flom LLP
Snell & Wilmer LLP
Social Security Administration, Office of the General Counsel
Sonnenschein
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch - Legal Research
Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox
Sullivan & Worcester
Swanson Martin & Bell LLP
Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
Thompson Coburn [homophobic language redacted] Haber
troutman sanders llp
U.S. Air Force JAG
U.S. Army JAG Corps
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. Dept of Labor, Office of Admn Law Judges
U.S. Dep't of the Treasury - Office of Chief Counsel IRS
U.S. Navy JAG - Corps
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Varnum, Riddering, Schmidt & Howlett LLP
Vedder Price P.C.
Verrill Dana, LLP
Ward, Murray, Pace & Johnson
Warner Norcross & Judd LLP
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
Wiggin & Nourie, PA
Wiggin and Dana
Wildman Harrold
williamsmccarthy llp
Winston & Strawn LLP

Does that mean that each of these firms/government agencies actually interviewed students or that many of them were just present to collect resumes? I would be very impressive if Skadden, K & E, W & S, Weil, Latham, J & B, J D, etc actually interviewed and hired SA's from Illinois at last year's OCI.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Skadden is a resume drop. Not sure about Weil, but assuming the same. The rest that you mentioned actually interview and hire at OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 pm

mez06 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
mez06 wrote:

*Sigh* you assume too much based off of too little. I know you'd like to be viewed as a person giving sound advice, but quite frankly you're not. You simply regurgitated the basic math of a 5th grader that has been said over and over again on this website. That's an obvious fact my friend.

There is no INTENT on entering with the sole purpose of transferring. Is it an interesting topic that I would like to simply inquire about? Absolutely. And to infer some sense of inferiority regarding UIUC (my selected school) is just plain dumb and unfounded.

And I'm sure my fellow Illini and I share something in common that you obviously don't. The respect of a simple question. I'll leave you be so you can be a douche at some other school; or website forum. Good day.
And he's the douche? Jesus.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 pm

mez06 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
mez06 wrote:

Holy fuck this has to be a joke. Nobody is this blatantly stupid.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Why is everyone jumping all over mez in the first place? He asked a simple question in a questions thread. Am I missing something?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm

naterj wrote:Why is everyone jumping all over mez in the first place? He asked a simple question in a questions thread. Am I missing something?
See his reaction when somebody responded with the cliched, but true, thing about transfers. Just a wee bit psycho.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ariluh

New

Post by ariluh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:12 pm

naterj wrote:Why is everyone jumping all over mez in the first place? He asked a simple question in a questions thread. Am I missing something?
Nobody jumped over him. His heated response was totally unwarranted and distasteful. My first thought was that guy's gonna be my classmate???
Guess it takes all types.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:41 pm

ariluh wrote:
Nobody jumped over him. His heated response was totally unwarranted and distasteful. My first thought was that guy's gonna be my classmate???
I don't know man. Now shrimp tacos at Taco Bell...now thats definitely distasteful. Too much mayonnaise on a sandwich(see Rally's)...that's distasteful.

I'd like to think I fall somewhere outside of those examples lol

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

mez06 wrote:I don't know man. Now shrimp tacos at Taco Bell...now thats definitely distasteful. Too much mayonnaise on a sandwich(see Rally's)...that's distasteful.

You'd like to think that, but you'd be wrong.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:46 pm

bk187 wrote:
mez06 wrote:I don't know man. Now shrimp tacos at Taco Bell...now thats definitely distasteful. Too much mayonnaise on a sandwich(see Rally's)...that's distasteful.

You'd like to think that, but you'd be wrong.

Sticks and stones man. Sticks and stones...lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ariluh

New

Post by ariluh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 am

mez06 wrote:
ariluh wrote:
I don't know man. Now shrimp tacos at Taco Bell...now thats definitely distasteful. Too much mayonnaise on a sandwich(see Rally's)...that's distasteful.

Then maybe you need to google the meaning...learn something new and stop littering the forum. Please. Don't respond...I have no desire to hear from you.
Now on with the healthy conveyance of useful information guys :)

specialblend35

New

Post by specialblend35 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:08 pm

I wonder if someone could convey some useful information regarding The Pointe apartments, at the corner of Florida & Philo? Not much in the way of reviews/ratings online...does anybody have first or secondhand knowledge of this place?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:46 pm

I don't know anything about those apartments but if you haven't already done so you should check with the Tenant Union. They are an awesome resource and can send you all sorts of info about places.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:47 am

specialblend35 wrote:I wonder if someone could convey some useful information regarding The Pointe apartments, at the corner of Florida & Philo? Not much in the way of reviews/ratings online...does anybody have first or secondhand knowledge of this place?
I lived there for a year. The rent is cheap, they come furnished, and bills are paid. The furniture was a little old and the internet service was spotty, but I loved my time there. I'd definitely recommend it.

The only potential negative is noise. The majority of the tenants are undergrads, so there would occasionally be parties on Wednesday or Thursday nights.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bball25

New

Post by bball25 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:22 am

If anyone is looking for a place to live I am looking to sublease my bedroom at a 3 bedroom apartment at the Village. The other two people living with you will be law school students.

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Does anyone know what the "non trad" situation is at Illinois?

I'm just curious if the law school has any contingent at all of older, married students that are more than a few years removed from undergrad.

I just came off of the wait list at Illinois and one of my other top choices and while I already HAD my fall plans in place at a 3rd school, now I am the middle of having to decide between Illinois and two other schools.

I fully understand that Champaign is a "college town," but I'm just curious if anyone out there has any experience as a non traditional Law student there and whether or not you would recommend U of I as a result of that experience.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:20 am

oldtimer wrote:Does anyone know what the "non trad" situation is at Illinois?

I'm just curious if the law school has any contingent at all of older, married students that are more than a few years removed from undergrad.

I just came off of the wait list at Illinois and one of my other top choices and while I already HAD my fall plans in place at a 3rd school, now I am the middle of having to decide between Illinois and two other schools.

I fully understand that Champaign is a "college town," but I'm just curious if anyone out there has any experience as a non traditional Law student there and whether or not you would recommend U of I as a result of that experience.
I was 31 when I started, have a life-in girlfriend, and I'm a 2L now. Granted, I'm from the C-U area, but it's always seemed totally reasonable to have a spouse here. The only issue would be finding employment for your significant other, as C-U isn't big. That said, the housing is super-cheap, so you don't have to make as much here as in other areas.

What kind of information are you looking for specifically?

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:01 am

oldtimer wrote:Does anyone know what the "non trad" situation is at Illinois?

I'm 32 and just graduated - definitely had a lot of trepidation about being in a town full of 18-22 year olds, BUT found over the past three years that the "college town" aspect of CU is much more beneficial than you'd think. Honestly, unless you live on campus, you completely forget that there are thousands of undergrads here - they stay on campus. The downtown Champaign and Urbana bars and restaurant have a lot of older grad students and local residents but you won't find undergrads there (the undergrad bars are on campus). When I say the "college town" aspect is more beneficial I mean that there's more to do here than there in similarly sized non-college-town midwestern cities (I'm from a town roughly the same size as CU and there's SO much more going on here, better restaurants, better shopping even though it's not great). Can't speak for the two classes that will be above you but in my class there were a lot of people who were married or were engaged and have since gotten married - some younger, some closer to my age. I will say I never felt out of place because I was older and sort of forgot by the end of the first week 1L year that there was such an age difference between me and some of my classmates. Happy to answer any more questions you might have.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”