Charlotte School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
StudentAthlete

New

Re: Charlotte School of Law

Post by StudentAthlete » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Im a 2nd semes 2L here and I enjoy it. The bar passage rate this past year beat wake forest (a Top 50) and was third in the state.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 pm

StudentAthlete wrote:Im a 2nd semes 2L here and I enjoy it. The bar passage rate this past year beat wake forest (a Top 50) and was third in the state.
Not everyone who passes the bar gets a job.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am

StudentAthlete wrote:Im a 2nd semes 2L here and I enjoy it. The bar passage rate this past year beat wake forest (a Top 50) and was third in the state.

Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudent Atttttttttttttttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlete

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:02 pm

ja88ck01 wrote:It should be noted that CLS offers pros and cons, but a few pros don't immediately meet the eye. Indeed, out of the 7 ABA law schools in NC, it is near the bottom of the list. But this isn't really a shocker. This should be expected because of how young the school is - you have to start somewhere right? However, despite the fact the school is young and thus has very few alumni, some very worthwhile connections can be made. Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and is a hub for many things. Many lawyers from in-state and beyond find work in Charlotte. That being said:

1) It is dim-witted to assume that people of law professions will exclusively extend hands to only alumni from their school. Again, because Charlotte is such a large city, and the school is *drum roll* IN CHARLOTTE, this poses an advantage in making connections in the three years (and beyond perhaps) that you spend in Charlotte.
2) Once again, because of the city's size, many more internship / clerking type positions while in school are available in the city than, say, in Chapel Hill, where UNC is located. UNC is a better school no doubt, but Chapel Hill is a fairly small town compared to Charlotte.
3) The school is temporarily ABA certified, and honestly, I do not see their ABA certification going away anytime soon... at worst, they will stay on temporarily ABA certified status.

My 2 cents.
I am personally an undergrad and haven't even started applying anywhere yet. BUT, I grew up in Charlotte, and this city is the business, commerce, population, and money center in the state of North Carolina. New York City is to New York as Charlotte is to North Carolina. Plain and simple.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:18 pm

It is laughable that T4 schools always boast their bar passage rates. Who cares if you passed the bar if your school is only provisionally approved? If you are going to CSOL you will have to compete with Carolina (T1), Wake (T1), and some Duke (T1-top 14) grads that chose to remain in the state, along with NCCU (T4), which isn't that great of a school but at least has a tiny bit of legitimacy and is well-established in NC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm

DeeCee wrote:
It is laughable that T4 schools always boast their bar passage rates. Who cares if you passed the bar if your school is only provisionally approved? If you are going to CSOL you will have to compete with Carolina (T1), Wake (T1), and some Duke (T1-top 14) grads that chose to remain in the state, along with NCCU (T4), which isn't that great of a school but at least has a tiny bit of legitimacy and is well-established in NC.
Campbell too.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 pm

deadpanic wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Campbell too.

Yes this is true, too.....I forgot about them, but they seem to have OK job prospects locally, within NC. OP, you should consider attending any other school in NC instead of CSOL.

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 pm

I applied on Monday and got in Today with $32,000 per year as long :D as I keep a 3.0 GPA. I was really just applying to every school that was free to apply. On the other hand I happy to be in somewhere. does any know the medians for Charlotte (with $32,000 per year I looks an option a low ranked one but an option)

Pirates13

New

Post by Pirates13 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:03 am

I was accepted and with a 12.5k scholarship. My double major GPA stinks but thats primarily due to the military and my deployment. I also applied to 29 other schools so Ill see what happens. While Charlotte might not be my first choice, and it may take longer to pay off student loans I havent ruled them out yet. If they are the only one Im accepted at Ill have to do some serious thinking.

I believe I read that its wanting full accreditation sometime this summer. Of course seeking and actually gaining full accreditation are two different things.

"The School recently received provisional ABA approval and is in the process of seeking full accreditation by 2011."
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/academ ... e-law.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Pirates13 wrote:I was accepted and with a 12.5k scholarship. My double major GPA stinks but thats primarily due to the military and my deployment. I also applied to 29 other schools so Ill see what happens. While Charlotte might not be my first choice, and it may take longer to pay off student loans I havent ruled them out yet. If they are the only one Im accepted at Ill have to do some serious thinking.

I believe I read that its wanting full accreditation sometime this summer. Of course seeking and actually gaining full accreditation are two different things.

"The School recently received provisional ABA approval and is in the process of seeking full accreditation by 2011."
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/academ ... e-law.html
don't do it. go ahead and rule it out. it is a complete scam.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:58 pm

deadpanic wrote:
don't do it. go ahead and rule it out. it is a complete scam.
+1. Not sure how many times it has to be posted but if you want honest advice, do not go to Charlotte. They are dead last in NC Law schools for credibility and you'll have a hell of a time getting a job. This is a for-profit school that only cares about your money and keeping accreditation to continue bringing in money. If they do get accreditation this summer, they'll be ranked at the bottom of the T4 and it's not likely they'll move from there. This is because they will let people in with a very low GPA or LSAT who will pay the money that don't have too many other options. Your job prospects would be better at any other school in NC besides this one. Finally, if this school is one of your only other options, should should heavily consider a strict LSAT study schedule to do better on a retake. This will exponentially increase your chances of getting into a respectable school.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:09 pm

i would take a pass on Charlotte. Im always leery of schools that let you start in either semester. Most other law schools( and graduate level programs) only start in the fall. if they only give you a few days to make a decision- choose to declilne. You will be making a rushed decision, and with the implications of your decision, you most likely will regret it.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 pm

While I have a hunch that going here really is a bad decision, anyone considering should go there and talk to as many students as you can. Not only will they know far more than we do about what it's like, I personally feel better making decisions based on advice from real people with experience. The internetz is no trustworthy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:While I have a hunch that going here really is a bad decision, anyone considering should go there and talk to as many students as you can. Not only will they know far more than we do about what it's like, I personally feel better making decisions based on advice from real people with experience. The internetz is no trustworthy.
No. They most likely won't know how bad of a school it is until they graduate with no job.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:50 am

northwood wrote:i would take a pass on Charlotte. Im always leery of schools that let you start in either semester. Most other law schools( and graduate level programs) only start in the fall. if they only give you a few days to make a decision- choose to declilne. You will be making a rushed decision, and with the implications of your decision, you most likely will regret it.
The pushy reps and quick response needed for the spring start were exactly why I decided not to bother applying for the spring. I did apply for the fall just in case my LSAT came back low. I ended up with a 170 and I could not even get a full tuition scholarship to CSOL. $70K in debt over 3 years for a school that doesn't have many alumni (and doesn't appear to even post information about alumni employment on their website) hardly seems worth it. I might as well stay at my current job and relish the fact that I got my liberal arts BA debt free.

The second UR accepted me, I decided not to waste my time visiting.

ranman333

New

Post by ranman333 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 am

Should be noted that CSOL placed 3rd on the July 2010 NC Bar results

http://www.charlottelaw.edu/mediacenter ... spx?ID=168

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 am

Why should that be noted?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 am

TyrodTaylor wrote:Why should that be noted?
TCR

BMWonFire

New

Post by BMWonFire » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:44 pm

baboon309 wrote:
islandmouse wrote:Anyone have any info on this school? I know it graduates its first class this year... how legit is it? Average starting salaries?
It`s a for profit law school managed by a corporation called InfiLaw. This company owns 3 different brands of law school.

Flagship law school : FLorida Coastal School of Law
Secondary law school : Charlotte school of Law & Phoenix School of Law

One thing insteresting about this company is that it's backed by a private equity firm called "Sterling Partner". Personally, I wouldn't throw in 30-40k a year to feed those greedy Wall Street pigs.
All law schools are "for profit," including University of California Schools. Do you really think it costs $35,000.00 per student to educate someone in the practice of law? A sizable portion of medical schools are the same price, though medical schools tuitions include massive materials and lab fees for each student that are included in said cost. Do you realize that the head of the UC School System lives in a $5-million home on top of a hill looking over UC Berkeley? Oh wait, too many people found out where he lived, so he moved to an even finer home. The UC Law System is also a for profit school system, as the State of California does not give each school nearly enough to "play ball." Anyone who think that law schools are not businesses, knows absolutely nothing about the manner by which law schools function, and at that, they know nothing about the very nature of how all upper division schools function.

Schools in the United States are in the business of making money. Wake up! Do you believe that because infilaw makes a profit, there is causation for its schools to be subpar? That thought pattern is ridiculous. If you compare the current faculty of PSL to any US State Law School, you'll see that PSL's faculty is equally qualified, if not more so, to teach their students their respective subjects.

Law school is easy compared to the practice of law folks...I hope some of you realize this sooner, rather than later.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 pm

BMWonFire wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
islandmouse wrote:Anyone have any info on this school? I know it graduates its first class this year... how legit is it? Average starting salaries?
It`s a for profit law school managed by a corporation called InfiLaw. This company owns 3 different brands of law school.

One thing insteresting about this company is that it's backed by a private equity firm called "Sterling Partner". Personally, I wouldn't throw in 30-40k a year to feed those greedy Wall Street pigs.
All law schools are "for profit," including University of California Schools. Do you really think it costs $35,000.00 per student to educate someone in the practice of law? A sizable portion of medical schools are the same price, though medical schools tuitions include massive materials and lab fees for each student that are included in said cost. Do you realize that the head of the UC School System lives in a $5-million home on top of a hill looking over UC Berkeley? Oh wait, too many people found out where he lived, so he moved to an even finer home. The UC Law System is also a for profit school system, as the State of California does not give each school nearly enough to "play ball." Anyone who think that law schools are not businesses, knows absolutely nothing about the manner by which law schools function, and at that, they know nothing about the very nature of how all upper division schools function.

Schools in the United States are in the business of making money. Wake up! Do you believe that because infilaw makes a profit, there is causation for its schools to be subpar? That thought pattern is ridiculous. If you compare the current faculty of PSL to any US State Law School, you'll see that PSL's faculty is equally qualified, if not more so, to teach their students their respective subjects.

Law school is easy compared to the practice of law folks...I hope some of you realize this sooner, rather than later.
Oh my God. Stop talking about useless shit like, bar passage and quality of the faculty. The point of going to law school is to get a law related job. This for-profit scam does not adequately do that. That should be the end of the story.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 am

I havent followed this entire thread but you PSL/CSL admissions trolls need to stop.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 pm

aspire2more wrote:
northwood wrote:i would take a pass on Charlotte. Im always leery of schools that let you start in either semester. Most other law schools( and graduate level programs) only start in the fall. if they only give you a few days to make a decision- choose to declilne. You will be making a rushed decision, and with the implications of your decision, you most likely will regret it.
The pushy reps and quick response needed for the spring start were exactly why I decided not to bother applying for the spring. I did apply for the fall just in case my LSAT came back low. I ended up with a 170 and I could not even get a full tuition scholarship to CSOL. $70K in debt over 3 years for a school that doesn't have many alumni (and doesn't appear to even post information about alumni employment on their website) hardly seems worth it. I might as well stay at my current job and relish the fact that I got my liberal arts BA debt free.

The second UR accepted me, I decided not to waste my time visiting.
+1 This describes my exact decision making process so well, even down to the 170 LSAT, that I had to check and make sure I didn't write this post!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:59 pm

BMWonFire wrote:
baboon309 wrote:

Meh. 2/5.

paratrooper06

New

Post by paratrooper06 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 am

I live in charlotte, My father is an attorney (went to NCCU) my younger brother graduated law school in 09 (UNC) and I just put in my deposit for Wake Law for next fall. Listen carefully if you are considering CSL... DON'T GO. You are WASTING your time AND money. It has nearly no reputation, EVEN IN CHARLOTTE. I have never heard of anyone working for a firm from CSL. You will come out with a ton of debt, no job prospects, and wondering how/why you made such a horrible decision. If CSL is the only school you can get into, retake your LSAT and at least aim for Campbell or NCCU, both of which have much better reputations even though they are T4's.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:29 am

paratrooper06 wrote:I live in charlotte, My father is an attorney (went to NCCU) my younger brother graduated law school in 09 (UNC) and I just put in my deposit for Wake Law for next fall. Listen carefully if you are considering CSL... DON'T GO. You are WASTING your time AND money. It has nearly no reputation, EVEN IN CHARLOTTE. I have never heard of anyone working for a firm from CSL. You will come out with a ton of debt, no job prospects, and wondering how/why you made such a horrible decision. If CSL is the only school you can get into, retake your LSAT and at least aim for Campbell or NCCU, both of which have much better reputations even though they are T4's.
this. THIS. /thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”