Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MattThiessen

Bronze

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by MattThiessen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm

hibiscus18 wrote:Thank you both for your input. Yeah, I'm definitely bringing my car. How is the commute in traffic?
Really not bad at all. I mean, there is construction on the road I usually take -- Highway 52 (there has been ever since I moved here) but it usually isn't a problem. If I leave during the early morning "rush hour" times then there's some traffic, but it really isn't anything terrible... Might delay me a few minutes, but I can make it to school in 15 minutes from my house. 20 minutes is just about the worst. There are some dumb roads in WS and there is a good amount of construction going on ATM, but even with all that it's not terrible.
Gail wrote:If you don't mind me asking, are you renting the house or did you buy?
I bought a house. It's not for everyone, but I was out of school for a few years and foreclosures here were *dirt cheap*. I'll PM you more details if you are interested.

anglemerchant

New

Post by anglemerchant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:36 am

Sorry, let me clarify.........Wake law alum graduated in past 5 years, currently employed at small law firm. Most everyone from Wake will find legal employment, however as Gail stated previously and correctly approx 10% do biglaw a smaller % get nice clerkships while the rest get mostly low paying midsize, govt, and small firm gigs. If you add up Gails % numbers where are the other 50%?........many are working at low paying smaller firms, doing non legal work (not by choice) or doing doc review or contract work. I am in no way saying you cannot be successful by going to Wake, but I am saying if you are taking out loans to go to Wake it may not work out as you planned. If you finish in the top 10 to 20% you will probably be ok, but no one ever goes to law school thinking they will finish at the 50th percentile. Look to your left, and look to your right, and the dude sitting in front of you......only one of you will do well enough or get lucky enough to make the tuition at Wake and 3 years worth the effort and cost. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 am

Dang, angry troll is angry today. Let me indulge him for a moment to make him feel better.

He's right, if you come to Wake paying sticker and expecting $160k straight out of the chute, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Unless daddy's a partner or you had a 20-year career in a related field prior to law school, just forget about biglaw.

That being said, it IS possible to find a decent job if you work for it. I'm at median after the first semester and have a fantastic job lined up for the summer, where I know people in the top 1% who don't have anything yet (sorry, not trying to rub it in). Part of it is luck, part of it is that I'm from this area and networked my butt off. Yes, the market is terrible right now and you will not be handed a job upon graduation. You will have to work for it, but that's not a fault of Wake, it's the case at every law school. There are people at T14s not getting jobs, too.

Look, if you're paying sticker and would be financing the whole thing with loans, you're probably better off at a state school where tuition is lower. However, Wake is quite generous with scholarship money and this won't be the case for many people. Further, if you're interested in PI work they have a generous LRAP program. You shouldn't be dissuaded from coming here just because there's only a slim chance of getting biglaw.

Don't let the "rabblerabbleBIGLAWORBUSTscrewurTTT" crap on sites like this get to you.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm

For housing I defnitely recommend Robinhood Court. Its alittle further away from the school (about 5 miles), buts its in a very nice part of WS, dirt cheap if you get roommates (I pay under $400/month) and really nice.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:59 pm

YankeesFan wrote:For housing I defnitely recommend Robinhood Court. Its alittle further away from the school (about 5 miles), buts its in a very nice part of WS, dirt cheap if you get roommates (I pay under $400/month) and really nice.
I don't live over there, but I will +1 that. The Robinhood Road area is very nice, for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Regardless of where you decide to live, be sure to check it out before signing a lease. Make time for this, even if you're coming from the West coast. Your first year is going to be stressful enough as it is, dont add an asshole landlord or cockroaches to the list.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 pm

SteelyDan wrote:Regardless of where you decide to live, be sure to check it out before signing a lease. Make time for this, even if you're coming from the West coast. Your first year is going to be stressful enough as it is, dont add an asshole landlord or cockroaches to the list.
This is TCR no matter where you go to Lawl School.

tylercocinas

New

Post by tylercocinas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of the apartments that you all had mentioned are fully furnished?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:11 pm

The Crowne apartments are not furnished. Neither are most of the other complexes that I looked into when I was searching for housing.
tylercocinas wrote:Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of the apartments that you all had mentioned are fully furnished?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 pm

tylercocinas wrote:Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of the apartments that you all had mentioned are fully furnished?
Yeah, most all of these mentioned are not furnished. You can probably find some that are in the area, but you will definitely have to look for those. Some of the houses/apartments available through Wake's system may be furnished, so I would definitely suggest looking there when it opens up (it's not running yet, but can be found here: http://law.wfu.edu/housing/ ...). If not, there's an Ikea in Charlotte (only 1 hr 15-30 minutes away) that you could pretty much get everything you need if you need to get a bed, couch, kitchen stuff, etc... Plus, if you get roommates you can probably share *some* stuff. Just a thought.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Robinhood wasn't furnished, but it had all the kitchen appliances. Otherwise I just got furniture from Overstock.com for bedroom/living room and staples for office furniture and I don't think that I paid more than $800-$900 for everything.

Otherwise you can check out Deacon station. I aw them advertise at the basketball game the other day. Theyre new apts. by the school, insanely cheap with utilities included, and fully furnished, but they are quite small. They are more live nice dorm living then apt. living.

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 pm

One place I would definitely NOT recommend are any houses owned by a gentleman named Worth Mitchell. He has a block of houses near campus that he calls "The Row." The guy is complete tool and should be avoided at all costs.

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 pm

SteelyDan holds a grudge like a boss.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelyDan

Bronze

Post by SteelyDan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:01 pm

MattThiessen wrote:SteelyDan holds a grudge like a boss.
You betcha. The guy was a total a-hole, I want to save people the trouble.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: i love you guys.

I have nothing useful to say really. I live at the corners but will be moving when my lease is up because my roomate and I need more space. I would recommend the corners for a few reasons though: good location, shuttle service, pool, nice landscaping, it's pretty safe for not being gated, and the neighbors are all very nice people (from those i've met). if youre planning on living alone or with one other person (and neither of you has pets or a regularly visiting SO), i think this is a good place to live for the price.

hibiscus18

New

Post by hibiscus18 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Do any of these complexes come with a washer/dryer already included?

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm

girlonfire wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: i love you guys.

I have nothing useful to say really. I live at the corners but will be moving when my lease is up because my roomate and I need more space. I would recommend the corners for a few reasons though: good location, shuttle service, pool, nice landscaping, it's pretty safe for not being gated, and the neighbors are all very nice people (from those i've met). if youre planning on living alone or with one other person (and neither of you has pets or a regularly visiting SO), i think this is a good place to live for the price.

Why do you say that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 pm

When is Wake Law going to get a new website, complete with comprehensive information and a nice virtual tour? Your website sucks. :evil:

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 pm

PDaddy wrote:When is Wake Law going to get a new website, complete with comprehensive information and a nice virtual tour? Your website sucks. :evil:
Not sure what comprehensive information you want that the website doesn't contain? It has the admission stats, employment stats (including where and with whom the students worked during the summer), a directory for anybody you would need to talk to, cost of attendance info, etc. If there's something in particular you can't find, I'll see what I can do to find it for you (or, if I can't, I'm sure one of the other students can). As for the virtual tour, you're right. That would definitely be nice. While we don't have a virtual tour, there are plenty of other random photos of the school though. Just let us know what you're looking for, and we'll be happy to help out if we can.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:06 pm

I dont know of any that come with a washer an dryer but Azume rents them out to most apt. complexes in the area for 30 a month for both the washer and dryer.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am

Gail wrote:
Why do you say that?
the apts are a modest size, and the walls are thin.
hibiscus18 wrote:Do any of these complexes come with a washer/dryer already included?
There are some apts at the corners that come with a washer/dryer. It's like 10$ extra on the rent, monthly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

parebare23

Bronze

Post by parebare23 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm

tylercocinas

New

Post by tylercocinas » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:11 am

Does anyone know anything about the apartments owned by Wake Forest? I believe they're called Wake Properties?

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 pm

tylercocinas wrote:Does anyone know anything about the apartments owned by Wake Forest? I believe they're called Wake Properties?
Some of my friends live there, they seem to like it. Do you have any specific questions that I could pass along?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am

This is going to be a random few questions, but here goes:

1. Does anyone know of any fun things for my parents and sister to do while I am at ASD? They are coming with me to explore W-S and see the school on their own since they wanted to take a vacation to NC anyway (We are from FL and love vacationing throughout NC each year). Any "vacation-y" things for them to do?

2. Does anyone know of any doggie day cares or dog parks in the area? My chihuahua is coming with me and he is used to living with my parents two dogs and being around a lot of others so I want him to make some puppy friends. On that note, does anyone else have a dog that wants a new friend (LOL)? Any vet recommendations?

3. This is a more personal question... How has been people's experience with moving to a new state away from family and friends? I'm excited to move, but also a bit nervous, to be honest. How was the adjustment for those coming from out of state?

Thanks guys!! I hope to see some of you on Friday!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”