Cornell 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
markakis

New

Re: Cornell 1L taking questions

Post by markakis » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:50 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:I just found this thread and it stole my brain.

So I have a somewhat random question, do current students find themselves eating out a lot? I have a really hard time sticking to a food budget, mostly because I'm a snob, so if I'm going to be eating out a lot I'm gonna have to figure out how to deal with that.
markakis wrote:
missv463 wrote:i think if you are pursuing a jd/llm the semester away restrictions are different.

but as someone already said, if you do 2 or more semesters away, the question is, are you really earning a Cornell degree? it made sense to me when they discussed it during ASW. oh, and i don't think people want to do 2 semesters away because cornell sucks, but rather because they had the opportunity to.

but yeah, call the admissions office for the official reponse.
I really hope this is the case. i'll definitely present my case to whom it may concern when the time comes. I love Cornell, but I'm all about pursuing my dreams.

Question for Cornell students: how far is Myron Taylor from the main undergrad campus? Is there ever any occasion for undergrad students to intermingle with grad students?

At the ASW they said the change they made for JD/LLM folks was to allow them to take more credits on their semester away, not to let them spend more time away, and only because they have take more credits.

My sense on the 1 semester limit was something like the ABA was getting all hung up on people spending an entire year not actually at the school... but I don't know why I thought that so....
why, they make it sound like they are in control of the policies of the other school involved. when i say JD/LLM, I actually mean that my LLM will be coming from another institution and the JD from cornell. If the ABA is cracking down on such a program then it should somehow reflect on the policies of the institutions that let JD candidates from other ABA-approved schools to participate in such programs. Anywho....

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:43 pm

markakis wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:I just found this thread and it stole my brain.

So I have a somewhat random question, do current students find themselves eating out a lot? I have a really hard time sticking to a food budget, mostly because I'm a snob, so if I'm going to be eating out a lot I'm gonna have to figure out how to deal with that.
markakis wrote:
missv463 wrote:i think if you are pursuing a jd/llm the semester away restrictions are different.

but as someone already said, if you do 2 or more semesters away, the question is, are you really earning a Cornell degree? it made sense to me when they discussed it during ASW. oh, and i don't think people want to do 2 semesters away because cornell sucks, but rather because they had the opportunity to.

but yeah, call the admissions office for the official reponse.
I really hope this is the case. i'll definitely present my case to whom it may concern when the time comes. I love Cornell, but I'm all about pursuing my dreams.

Question for Cornell students: how far is Myron Taylor from the main undergrad campus? Is there ever any occasion for undergrad students to intermingle with grad students?

At the ASW they said the change they made for JD/LLM folks was to allow them to take more credits on their semester away, not to let them spend more time away, and only because they have take more credits.

My sense on the 1 semester limit was something like the ABA was getting all hung up on people spending an entire year not actually at the school... but I don't know why I thought that so....
why, they make it sound like they are in control of the policies of the other school involved. when i say JD/LLM, I actually mean that my LLM will be coming from another institution and the JD from cornell. If the ABA is cracking down on such a program then it should somehow reflect on the policies of the institutions that let JD candidates from other ABA-approved schools to participate in such programs. Anywho....
Well, I was talking about the three year JD/LLM in international law Cornell offers, if you are talking about a program offered by another institution, then you seem to be a special case.

soul_echoes

New

Post by soul_echoes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am

Do any of the current law students live at Schuyler and have opinions about it? I'm considering it as an option in case Hughes fills up.

schlam

New

Post by schlam » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:22 pm

thanks for the answers re: the timeline for housing! i guess i'll start looking earlier rather than later.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:00 pm

soul_echoes wrote:Do any of the current law students live at Schuyler and have opinions about it? I'm considering it as an option in case Hughes fills up.
Everyone I know who lives there seems to like it. I don't know if any of them are TLSers, but I can ask around.
It's pretty close to the law school and prolly better than Hughes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soul_echoes

New

Post by soul_echoes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 pm

kn6542 wrote:
soul_echoes wrote:Do any of the current law students live at Schuyler and have opinions about it? I'm considering it as an option in case Hughes fills up.
Everyone I know who lives there seems to like it. I don't know if any of them are TLSers, but I can ask around.
It's pretty close to the law school and prolly better than Hughes.
okay thanks!

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm

jxk wrote:
Adele wrote:Hello All! I was put on reserve and will be visiting in the 2 weeks. What hotels can/should i stay in? Does Cornell have a hotel/conference center associated with the school? If not what is the closest? Thanks! I will be trying my darnest to get off this list!! ( along with a few hundred others :lol: )
the closest hotel is the statler hotel on central campus. it's attached to the hotel school which is about one long block away from the law school. rates vary depending on when you go but it will probably not be cheap. due to its convenient location, most people traveling to cornell for business or to visit the school are willing to pay a premium for proximity to the central campus buildings. however, the service is great and the rooms are nicely appointed (cornell hotelie alum here, so i had to throw in a shameless plug for the statler!) you can check rates here: http://www.statlerhotel.cornell.edu/

the next closest one is probably the hilton garden inn in the commons. it's a very short bus ride away from campus and will probably be more affordable. let me know if you have any more questions!
Thank you soo much! Another question, I am trying to decide whether to visit next week or the week after. When are classes over? I would like to attend a class while I'm there, are classes over by May 1st? Thankss!

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Adele wrote:
jxk wrote:
Adele wrote:Hello All! I was put on reserve and will be visiting in the 2 weeks. What hotels can/should i stay in? Does Cornell have a hotel/conference center associated with the school? If not what is the closest? Thanks! I will be trying my darnest to get off this list!! ( along with a few hundred others :lol: )
the closest hotel is the statler hotel on central campus. it's attached to the hotel school which is about one long block away from the law school. rates vary depending on when you go but it will probably not be cheap. due to its convenient location, most people traveling to cornell for business or to visit the school are willing to pay a premium for proximity to the central campus buildings. however, the service is great and the rooms are nicely appointed (cornell hotelie alum here, so i had to throw in a shameless plug for the statler!) you can check rates here: http://www.statlerhotel.cornell.edu/

the next closest one is probably the hilton garden inn in the commons. it's a very short bus ride away from campus and will probably be more affordable. let me know if you have any more questions!
Thank you soo much! Another question, I am trying to decide whether to visit next week or the week after. When are classes over? I would like to attend a class while I'm there, are classes over by May 1st? Thankss!

next friday is the last day of classes... hurry up!!

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Oh craaap!! Booking my ticket tonight! Thanks Neskerdoo!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hokoelc

New

Post by hokoelc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:05 pm

2 questions:

1. What do students typically wear to classes on weekdays? Is it like college where sweats and jeans are acceptable? During the ASW in the civ pro class I saw people wearing full business attire...

2. What do students usually do over the summer after the 1L year?

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 pm

hokoelc wrote:2 questions:

1. What do students typically wear to classes on weekdays? Is it like college where sweats and jeans are acceptable? During the ASW in the civ pro class I saw people wearing full business attire...

Was Moot Court/Mock Trial (I forget which applies) right afterwards by any chance... I know that competition was running recently...

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:45 pm

hokoelc wrote:2 questions:

You saw people in suits because people had oral arguments for lawyering class that day. People don't normally wear a suit unless they have an interview or something that day that calls for it. People just wear jeans or whatever. People usually wear something nicer than sweats, but really it doesn't matter. The profs don't give a crap what you're wearing. Wear what you want.

In the summer after 1L you should get a job that allows you to practice research/ writing. Some people land firm jobs (but they're not easy to come by without connections). Others work for public interest orgs, clerk for a judge, or do research for a prof. Just don't spend your summer doing something unrelated to law unless you want to have to explain why you would do that to interviewers later.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:So I have a somewhat random question, do current students find themselves eating out a lot? I have a really hard time sticking to a food budget, mostly because I'm a snob, so if I'm going to be eating out a lot I'm gonna have to figure out how to deal with that.
I've been eating out pretty much every day for lunch lately. There're cheap/decent options available in collegetown (near law school), but they get old. There's some really excellent cuisine in the commons (15 minute walk away), which tends to be in the $14-20 range.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:So I have a somewhat random question, do current students find themselves eating out a lot? I have a really hard time sticking to a food budget, mostly because I'm a snob, so if I'm going to be eating out a lot I'm gonna have to figure out how to deal with that.
Last semester I ate out for lunch every day. I'm sort of a snob about food in my own way, too, since I'd rather just not eat than eat something that doesn't get my appetite going. (I think the food in Ithaca sucks, but that's just my opinion.) I got sick of spending $8-10 a day on lunch and started to just make a large dinner and bring half to campus for lunch the next day. This is obviously only going to work if you both like to cook and like to eat your own cooking.

Like Sbrown said, there are options around campus - subway, various overpriced delis, fancy whole foods like salad bars, etc. Unfortunately, it's not like the city where you can find really awesome cheap Indian food to go or something. It's just too college-kid oriented near campus. What works for you and your budget is really going to depend on your taste and your preferences. I'm not sure anyone can advise you much about it. I'm sure when you get here, you'll figure it out pretty quick.

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:45 pm

So I have started looking for apartments and I am feeling a little clueless as to how I should go about this process. I found a really cute apartment that I loved for $600/month. BUT, the rent does not cover utilities. How important is that, considering the cost of heating in the winter? Also, the apartment is about 8 miles away from Cornell (in Lansing?). I will have a car while I am there, but one of my friends told me I should look for something closer nevertheless because of the complications of driving in the winter. Is this true? Is it better to look for something closer to campus?

Thanks for your help in advance!

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:01 pm

hopingtogo wrote:So I have started looking for apartments and I am feeling a little clueless as to how I should go about this process. I found a really cute apartment that I loved for $600/month. BUT, the rent does not cover utilities. How important is that, considering the cost of heating in the winter? Also, the apartment is about 8 miles away from Cornell (in Lansing?). I will have a car while I am there, but one of my friends told me I should look for something closer nevertheless because of the complications of driving in the winter. Is this true? Is it better to look for something closer to campus?

I don't have a car here (live within walking distance) but last winter we never had class canceled due to snow. There were days where it was a snow-storm and we had class (had one during our con-law final). You need to be able to drive in the snow. I've also heard parking is crappy but I'm not really sure there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Okay, thanks for your input. I live in the desert southwest of Texas and I have never had to drive through a snowstorm, so I guess that is an important consideration!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:09 pm

hopingtogo wrote:So I have started looking for apartments and I am feeling a little clueless as to how I should go about this process. I found a really cute apartment that I loved for $600/month. BUT, the rent does not cover utilities. How important is that, considering the cost of heating in the winter? Also, the apartment is about 8 miles away from Cornell (in Lansing?). I will have a car while I am there, but one of my friends told me I should look for something closer nevertheless because of the complications of driving in the winter. Is this true? Is it better to look for something closer to campus?

First, the cost of heating is some concern in the winter, but $600 is a good price for an apartment even if you're paying utilities. The cost is really gonna depend on the kind of heating and the insulation. Can you ask the landlord and/or another tenant in the building what it runs in the winter?

I don't think you need to worry about driving in the winter that much. Having front wheel drive will help, but it's really not that bad. Judging from the one winter I've been here (so take it for what's it's worth), it's just snow, and none of the stuff that causes road problems, like freezing rain and black ice. The city plows quickly and regularly during a snow bout.

Also, Lansing really isn't that far from the law school. Check the bus routes for where you're thinking of living. You might be able to avoid having to drive to school at all. http://www.tcatbus.com/
The 30 goes from Lansing to the law school, and it's full of really awesome people.
The bus runs frequently that you could use it to get to class without much hassle. Parking *is* crappy and expensive. Unless you can't stand the bus or really just want to drive to school, avoid it if you can.

jxk

New

Post by jxk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 pm

spanktheduck wrote:

I don't have a car here (live within walking distance) but last winter we never had class canceled due to snow. There were days where it was a snow-storm and we had class (had one during our con-law final). You need to be able to drive in the snow. I've also heard parking is crappy but I'm not really sure there.
this is true, class will never be canceled due to snow. in my four years at cornell, we never had a full snow day, no matter how hard it was snowing outside. the most we ever got was a half snow day. they made us go to class and at noon, told us to go home for the day. some of my friends from ithaca told me that one year, the entire city of ithaca was shut down because of the snow, but one particular university was still open....

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:42 pm

I remember that half day.

That was the only day I ever took the bus to school despite the fact that I had a sweet parking space & I have snow tires.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jxk

New

Post by jxk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:38 pm

lol i took the bus to school almost everyday when it was cold. the sad thing is i lived in collegetown and my classes were in statler, which is only a 5-10 minute walk away. true laziness!

LeahNic

Bronze

Post by LeahNic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:04 am

If it's really 8 miles from the law school it is probably North Lansing and buses run up there much less frequently. I would recommend looking for something closer. I live about 3 miles from the law school, and I like it, but a lot of my friends think its quite far away. I think 8 miles would just be inconvenient and you would get tired of it.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:34 am

can i mention how much I love that 8 miles is just "too far away"? :lol:

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 am

Wanted to repost over here to see if anybody knew...
From Dean Geiger interview on the Cornell Profile Ken wrote up...

"Many applicants view the waitlist as dreaded territory. At Cornell, how likely is it that a waitlist spot will turn into an offer of admission?

One thing about our waiting list that is different from most is that we offer interviews to everyone on the list. This gives us a real close-up view of the people on the list and this enriches our decision-making. For the last several years, our yield on initial offers has been very strong, which hasn’t left much room for applicants on our waiting list. This isn’t something we try to make happen, but sometimes it does. The anecdotal evidence at Cornell is that students who come in off the waiting list often do very well."

How old is this questionaire?? I was under the impression that Cornell didn't grant interviews to WL/Reserve candidates, is this the case? Im going to visit soon and would like to know if anyone has some insight. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”