Police/attorney interactions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Post Reply
kingofkingz

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:20 am

Police/attorney interactions

Post by kingofkingz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Can someone provide the lay of the land in terms of entry level jobs that involve extensive interactions with the police / law enforcement? Is it mostly trial-level prosecutors?
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to appropriate form (0Ls cannot post in Legal Employment forums).

User avatar
cavalier1138

Moderator
Posts: 7381
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Police/attorney interactions

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Two questions:

1. What do you mean by "extensive interactions?" Are you hoping to work alongside police? Or against them? Suing them?

2. Why are you also posting about cross-border M&A job opportunities? That's almost the polar opposite of criminal practice.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Police/attorney interactions

Post by nixy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Depending on what you mean by interactions, it's going to be trial-level prosecutors or private firms that represent the police in civil suits (for things like excessive force). Maybe defense attorneys, to the extent that cross-examination counts as an interaction.

kingofkingz

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:20 am

Re: Police/attorney interactions

Post by kingofkingz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:30 pm
Two questions:

1. What do you mean by "extensive interactions?" Are you hoping to work alongside police? Or against them? Suing them?

2. Why are you also posting about cross-border M&A job opportunities? That's almost the polar opposite of criminal practice.
1. Any of the above.
2. Why not.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Police/attorney interactions

Post by nixy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 am

kingofkingz wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 am
cavalier1138 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:30 pm
Two questions:

1. What do you mean by "extensive interactions?" Are you hoping to work alongside police? Or against them? Suing them?

2. Why are you also posting about cross-border M&A job opportunities? That's almost the polar opposite of criminal practice.
1. Any of the above.
2. Why not.
Any of the above doesn’t really make any sense. If you don’t care whether you’re working with them or against them, why does it matter that your work involves the police?

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Police/attorney interactions

Post by bretby » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:25 pm

nixy wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm
Depending on what you mean by interactions, it's going to be trial-level prosecutors or private firms that represent the police in civil suits (for things like excessive force). Maybe defense attorneys, to the extent that cross-examination counts as an interaction.
At least in NYC, if you work for the City Law Dept. there seems to be a good chance you will work on a 1983 case involving the police. Not sure how it works in other cities/municipalities though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”