LLM Program Applicants Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ignorantfoot96

New

LLM Program Applicants

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Hello,

I have just started to sort of think about LLM programs, so bear with me as some of my questions may not be particularly relevant. However, I was wondering what are the statistics on like average GPA that gets into LLM programs? I am thinking taxation and am currently a 2L. Is school rank an important factor along with GPA? Are there ABA disclosures akin to the 509 reports? Any and all information would be appreciated!

QContinuum

Re: LLM Program Applicants

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 pm

There's a lot of good discussion in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=305038

While that thread was tailored to a foreign lawyer, most of the points apply to U.S. J.D.s as well. Specifically for U.S. J.D.s: Absent unique circumstances (we recently had someone looking to burn their last year's worth of GI bill benefits on an LL.M.), don't do a non-tax LL.M. - it won't enhance your employability. And don't do a Tax LL.M. unless you're committed to becoming a tax lawyer. And if you do do a Tax LL.M., probably only NYU and Georgetown are worth doing (and maybe Florida or Northwestern).

For admissions into Tax LL.M. programs, generally top ~quarter from T1/T2 schools are safe to get into NYU and Georgetown. Obviously, the better your grades, the better your odds. If you're at a T3/T4, GPA expectations will be higher. (And if you're at a T14, you're probably safe to get into NYU/Georgetown with any GPA above 3.0, so long as you've done reasonably well in tax courses - see below.) Also, while overall GPA is important, your grades in tax courses will be most important, as you might expect. You would have ideally taken 2-3 (or more) tax courses during your J.D. program, and done well in them (preferably at least one A- or better in your tax courses). Having taken at least Federal Income Tax (and done well in the course) is probably a de facto prerequisite to being considered for admission (and rightly so; how'd you know whether you want to do tax if you haven't even taken Federal Income Tax?), and again, there's a preference for having taken 2-3.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”