0L/Can't Find BigLaw Paralegal Position for Gap Year Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CLS2020

New

0L/Can't Find BigLaw Paralegal Position for Gap Year

Post by CLS2020 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Preface: I'm sorry for sounding like a brat. That is not my intention. I'm ok with constructive criticism, but please don't call me out.

Hello. I graduated from NYU with a 3.9 GPA and a double major in sociology and politics back near the end of September 2019, and I have been job searching ever since. Despite my efforts, I can't get a BigLaw paralegal position. I've had interviews with a couple, but I can't seem to get an offer. Now, I'm 6 months in and I'm still unemployed, although I am volunteering, so I'm not spending my time doing nothing. I just don't know what is wrong with me. I've graduated from a good school, have a good GPA, and I've done internships throughout my undergraduate career, but I can't seem to get this. Meanwhile, my peers who are also pre-law, 0Ls are doing just fine and have landed BigLaw paralegal positions. And now, I'm starting to worry if I can't get a BigLaw paralegal position, then maybe I'll strike out during OCI when it comes my time. Yeah, I just don't know what is up with my stupid fucking brain. I can't do anything right.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to appropriate form (0Ls cannot post in Legal Employment).

cavalier1138

Re: 0L/Can't Find BigLaw Paralegal Position for Gap Year

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Being a paralegal before law school will have a negligible impact on... well, everything, but especially OCI. If you can't land a paralegal gig, look for something else. I highly doubt any firms are hiring right now, so I'd look for jobs in industries that are looking for people.

CLS2020

New

Post by CLS2020 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm trying to aim for HYSCCN. Bump.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Doesn't matter. Paralegal is completely fine pre-law work, but so is basically anything else. Basically, the only job experience that will make any measurable difference for admissions isn't something you're going to achieve in a gap year (it would be something like being an Olympic athlete or prize-winning writer, maybe). And what will matter most for OCI are your law school grades and school name. Not getting a paralegal gig now says pretty much nothing for your chances at OCI.

(Also, you state "gap year" in your title. Are you planning only to work for a year, and are you telling law firms this? I thought a lot of firms wanted people for 2 years.)

CLS2020

New

Post by CLS2020 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:54 pm

nixy wrote:Doesn't matter. Paralegal is completely fine pre-law work, but so is basically anything else. Basically, the only job experience that will make any measurable difference for admissions isn't something you're going to achieve in a gap year (it would be something like being an Olympic athlete or prize-winning writer, maybe). And what will matter most for OCI are your law school grades and school name. Not getting a paralegal gig now says pretty much nothing for your chances at OCI.

(Also, you state "gap year" in your title. Are you planning only to work for a year, and are you telling law firms this? I thought a lot of firms wanted people for 2 years.)
By gap year, I mean 2-3 years. **gap years

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CLS2020

New

Post by CLS2020 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:47 am

=)

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:43 am

I'll join the chorus and say that the specific job you do between college and law school won't matter for admissions or for OCI, except at the margins as Nixy mentioned. I would add that working can help you achieve ties in a target market or develop connections in a particular industry---so, say, if you wanted to do environmental work in Houston, you could work for FERC or TCEQ to make your resume stand out specifically to lawyers who do that work. I suspect that your interest isn't that narrow, and I will add that no biglaw lawyers are going to care or appreciate that you worked as a paralegal in a biglaw firm before law school. Similarly, no biglaw lawyers will care that you *didn't* do that.

That said, I'll go ahead and call you out: get a job. Any job. It's going to be hard to do in this economy, but unemployment between college and law school might actually be a red flag for future employment. Go be a runner for an insurance defense firm. Work for Amazon or a food delivery company. Restock shelves at Walmart. Just go do something with the next year or so, and quit stressing about whether it's preftigious. Nobody cares.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:51 pm

decimalsanddollars wrote:I'll join the chorus and say that the specific job you do between college and law school won't matter for admissions or for OCI, except at the margins as Nixy mentioned. I would add that working can help you achieve ties in a target market or develop connections in a particular industry---so, say, if you wanted to do environmental work in Houston, you could work for FERC or TCEQ to make your resume stand out specifically to lawyers who do that work. I suspect that your interest isn't that narrow, and I will add that no biglaw lawyers are going to care or appreciate that you worked as a paralegal in a biglaw firm before law school. Similarly, no biglaw lawyers will care that you *didn't* do that.

That said, I'll go ahead and call you out: get a job. Any job. It's going to be hard to do in this economy, but unemployment between college and law school might actually be a red flag for future employment. Go be a runner for an insurance defense firm. Work for Amazon or a food delivery company. Restock shelves at Walmart. Just go do something with the next year or so, and quit stressing about whether it's preftigious. Nobody cares.
Co-sign.

Also, for OP's benefit: Being a paralegal isn't 'prestigious,' and is not viewed as such by admissions officers or at OCI. Carries absolutely zero weight. You'd probably have a more interesting admissions essay if you were an Uber driver tbh. You're not missing out on anything if you can't get a gig.

Seanathon

New

Post by Seanathon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:49 am

Current biglaw paralegal taking a couple years between undergrad and law school. My advice to you, if you haven't found anything by then, is to reach out to the firms you applied to again in the fall to inquire about their 2021 hiring cycle (aka Summer of 2021 start). At least at my firm, we finished up paralegal hiring over a month ago.

I do think it can be helpful for OCI because it shows firms that you've been in the environment and know what you're getting yourself into. It can be helpful for some local law schools if they have ties with the firm. But, like some other comments alluded to, it's not going to help with OCI if you have bad grades. I think working as a paralegal in biglaw will be most helpful to you in actually figuring out if you want to do biglaw.

My advice in terms of applying as a paralegal is to REALLY sell that you want to work at THAT firm. I got so many "so why 'insert law firm'?". The first place to do that is in your cover letter when applying. Additionally, you have to show how you're an effective communicator to people that are above you in stressful situation (associates; partners; clients, in rarer cases).

My advice to you otherwise would be to not stress too much and pound the LSAT. It's becoming an incredibly difficult environment to find a job in right now. Your GPA is amazing and a good LSAT score will get you in anywhere in the country. Once you're at your T6 on a full ride and firms are lining up to offer you a summer associate position, you'll forget all about wanting to be a paralegal. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leavingfirm

New

Post by leavingfirm » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:19 pm

Why would you ever want to be a biglaw paralegal? Don't answer that.

Just go find another job. That may be hard right now because you sat through some of the best economy unemployed until a global pandemic shut everything down. Go drive for Uber.

Are you rich? Are you parents supporting you?

leavingfirm

New

Post by leavingfirm » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:21 pm

Seanathon wrote: My advice in terms of applying as a paralegal is to REALLY sell that you want to work at THAT firm. I got so many "so why 'insert law firm'?". The first place to do that is in your cover letter when applying. Additionally, you have to show how you're an effective communicator to people that are above you in stressful situation (associates; partners; clients, in rarer cases).
This is sad. It's a secretary position at a giant law firm. They're indistinguishable positions in indistinguishable law firms.

Legalassist

New

Post by Legalassist » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:33 pm

I am a big law paralegal. It is hard work and hardly anybody cares about you.
I am 23 and went to a small school and had an average GPA. I got hired because I am a young girl they could pay less.

CLS2020

New

Post by CLS2020 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:31 pm

leavingfirm wrote:Why would you ever want to be a biglaw paralegal? Don't answer that.

Just go find another job. That may be hard right now because you sat through some of the best economy unemployed until a global pandemic shut everything down. Go drive for Uber.

Are you rich? Are you parents supporting you?
''

I wasn't just sitting around. I was applying for jobs constantly, although my approach might have been horrible because looking back, I should have broadened my search. I come from a financially well-off family, thank you for being concerned. I wouldn't have gone to NYU had I not come from a well-off family.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Seanathon

New

Post by Seanathon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:10 am

leavingfirm wrote:
Seanathon wrote: My advice in terms of applying as a paralegal is to REALLY sell that you want to work at THAT firm. I got so many "so why 'insert law firm'?". The first place to do that is in your cover letter when applying. Additionally, you have to show how you're an effective communicator to people that are above you in stressful situation (associates; partners; clients, in rarer cases).
This is sad. It's a secretary position at a giant law firm. They're indistinguishable positions in indistinguishable law firms.
Haha I definitely can't disagree with your implication that the job isn't glamorous. It's not. I just meant people who interviewed me during the interview process were looking for applicants who could show a genuine interest in their firm. I imagine that's a pretty common concept at most places one would be applying, regardless of industry?

I'm going to (generously) assume you're also a paralegal at a large law firm or at least work at one and that you're speaking to your own experience, not just your assumption of the job. If that's the case, I'm sorry you have to work every day feeling indistinguishable.

Also, the secretaries are the shit. Most of them have been with the firm for longer than I've been alive and know the place like the back of their hands. Another piece of advice for OP - when you do find a job (any job) try not to have the same outlook for it or your coworkers as the person who posted this comment seems to have for theirs.

CLS2020

New

Post by CLS2020 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:25 am

Seanathon wrote:
leavingfirm wrote:
Haha I definitely can't disagree with your implication that the job isn't glamorous. It's not. I just meant people who interviewed me during the interview process were looking for applicants who could show a genuine interest in their firm. I imagine that's a pretty common concept at most places one would be applying, regardless of industry?

I'm going to (generously) assume you're also a paralegal at a large law firm or at least work at one and that you're speaking to your own experience, not just your assumption of the job. If that's the case, I'm sorry you have to work every day feeling indistinguishable.

Also, the secretaries are the shit. Most of them have been with the firm for longer than I've been alive and know the place like the back of their hands. Another piece of advice for OP - when you do find a job (any job) try not to have the same outlook for it or your coworkers as the person who posted this comment seems to have for theirs.
Thanks, Seanathon! I hope your cycle goes well, whenever that may be.

leavingfirm

New

Post by leavingfirm » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:48 pm

Seanathon wrote:
leavingfirm wrote:

Lmao is this a joke?

"I'm going to (generously) assume you're also a paralegal at a large law firm or at least work at one and that you're speaking to your own experience, not just your assumption of the job. If that's the case, I'm sorry you have to work every day feeling indistinguishable."

Yes I work at one of these mega firms. If you don't feel "indistinguishable" you are deluding yourself. You need to escape that and see the light. I can't imagine showing up every day to a parasitic V20 biglaw firm that views staff (and lawyers) like interchangeable cogs and would fire your ass in two seconds if it made financial sense and think "I'm distinguishable."

"Also, the secretaries are the shit. Most of them have been with the firm for longer than I've been alive and know the place like the back of their hands."

Lol! Have you ever met a biglaw secretary? They are for the partners and only for the partners. I guess they are halfway competent and I always tip big at christmas but lmfao at "they are the shit." No they aren't. Otherwise they wouldn't be biglaw secretaries.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”