Below Median T1 Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eagle2a

Bronze

Below Median T1

Post by eagle2a » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Slightly below median at UH/SMU after 1L, no desire for big law, no debt, hoping to find a small firm, do I have a shot still?

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Below Median T1

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:25 pm

If you hustle, of course

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:17 pm

eagle2a wrote:Slightly below median at UH/SMU after 1L, no desire for big law, no debt, hoping to find a small firm, do I have a shot still?
Are you learning anything in school?

This may seem like an odd question, but many small firms don't really care about grades. Many do, but some don't. As the above poster said, you have to hustle. Small firms don't hire often because their case load doesn't permit it. And many are making enough revenue as it it is so they are not interested in growth.

I'm a small firm owner and I will be hiring soon because business has exploded for me. Each firm is different, but for me, grades aren't as important to me as they might be for other people. What I want to know is if you have learned a lot and do you have a solid understanding of the material.

There's more to it, but for me, I wouldn't necessarily disqualify you for grades. I think it just depends on a lot of different factors. You just need to make sure that you are showing gradual improvement. Don't take the second and third year off. Small firms are going to look at your entire transcript. They usually don't hire until after you've graduated. And they usually don't even give you a sniff until then, unlike large firms that allow you to clerk for them during the summer.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:If you hustle, of course

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:35 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:
eagle2a wrote:Slightly below median at UH/SMU after 1L, no desire for big law, no debt, hoping to find a small firm, do I have a shot still?

This may seem like an odd question, but many small firms don't really care about grades. Many do, but some don't. As the above poster said, you have to hustle. Small firms don't hire often because their case load doesn't permit it. And many are making enough revenue as it it is so they are not interested in growth.

I'm a small firm owner and I will be hiring soon because business has exploded for me. Each firm is different, but for me, grades aren't as important to me as they might be for other people. What I want to know is if you have learned a lot and do you have a solid understanding of the material.

There's more to it, but for me, I wouldn't necessarily disqualify you for grades. I think it just depends on a lot of different factors. You just need to make sure that you are showing gradual improvement. Don't take the second and third year off. Small firms are going to look at your entire transcript. They usually don't hire until after you've graduated. And they usually don't even give you a sniff until then, unlike large firms that allow you to clerk for them during the summer.
I improved a bit from first semester to the second. Definitely feel like I've leaned a lot but disappointed at the results. So you think I've still got a chance? Really don't want to spend 2 more years and thousands of bucks in tuition if my chances of getting a job are small.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 pm

eagle2a wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:

I improved a bit from first semester to the second. Definitely feel like I've leaned a lot but disappointed at the results. So you think I've still got a chance? Really don't want to spend 2 more years and thousands of bucks in tuition if my chances of getting a job are small.
You said you don't want big law. So that changes the dynamic completely. You must keep in mind that you had a challenge when you wanted to go to law school, to begin with, considering where you are.

That being said, your chances of employment with a small firm have not changed at all since you first enrolled in school. If you are learning stuff, I think you should keep plugging away. If you're right around the middle, whether a little above or a little below, you appear average. And to have a realistic shot of ever getting hired by any small firm that wants to make money, you want to appear, at least, average at a school like U of H. UH has a pretty good rep among small firm practioners in Texas, especially Houston. The best thing you could do would be to get in front of these people in person. That goes for anyone regardless of grades. Find out about informal networking events from your career services office. Or ask new lawyers or new grads about how they landed jobs with small firms. And ask them about any happy hours for TYLA (Texas Young Lawyers Association) or the Houston Bar Association or HYLA Houston Young Lawyers Association.

Small firm jobs never fall in your lap no matter where you go to school or what types of grades you make. The key to getting hired by a small firm is getting in front of the right people so they can see who you are.

Big law is far more uniform in their hiring. Small law firms differ drastically from each other because they may have completely different practice areas and needs.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:16 am

utlaw2007 wrote:
eagle2a wrote:
utlaw2007 wrote:

You said you don't want big law. So that changes the dynamic completely. You must keep in mind that you had a challenge when you wanted to go to law school, to begin with, considering where you are.

That being said, your chances of employment with a small firm have not changed at all since you first enrolled in school. If you are learning stuff, I think you should keep plugging away. If you're right around the middle, whether a little above or a little below, you appear average. And to have a realistic shot of ever getting hired by any small firm that wants to make money, you want to appear, at least, average at a school like U of H. UH has a pretty good rep among small firm practioners in Texas, especially Houston. The best thing you could do would be to get in front of these people in person. That goes for anyone regardless of grades. Find out about informal networking events from your career services office. Or ask new lawyers or new grads about how they landed jobs with small firms. And ask them about any happy hours for TYLA (Texas Young Lawyers Association) or the Houston Bar Association or HYLA Houston Young Lawyers Association.

Small firm jobs never fall in your lap no matter where you go to school or what types of grades you make. The key to getting hired by a small firm is getting in front of the right people so they can see who you are.

Big law is far more uniform in their hiring. Small law firms differ drastically from each other because they may have completely different practice areas and needs.
I really appreciate the advise. Will definitely start reaching out to more attorneys/attending more networking events.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”