What is "boutique litigation?" Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seagan823

Bronze

What is "boutique litigation?"

Post by seagan823 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:30 am

I see this phrase come up on occasion and I am wondering what people mean by it. I was doing some research on some public interest plaintiff firms and was also wondering if that type of firm falls under the boutique litigation umbrella.

handsonthewheel

Bronze

Re: What is "boutique litigation?"

Post by handsonthewheel » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:44 am

It's a marketing term. It refers to firms that are smaller (i.e., not biglaw firms and not large regional firms), and generally which will focus on some particular practice. It's supposed to imply quality.

Think "we are a boutique patent litigation firm" versus "we are an international, full-service firm".

Doesn't really mean anything.

bk1

Diamond

Re: What is "boutique litigation?"

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 am

The term itself is kind of broad and meaningless since all it means is a smaller firm that is well regarded or specialized in some area. Usually people on TLS mean smaller (at least relative to biglaw) top tier firms such as Boies Schiller, Keker Van Nest, Farella Braun Martel, etc. I think there is an argument that at least some of these kinds of firms straddle the line between biglaw and boutique which is why some people throw around terms like "bigtique."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”