Paralegal certificate worth it? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Shasta McNasty

New

Paralegal certificate worth it?

Post by Shasta McNasty » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Is an ABA paralegal program worth taking during my second gap year between UG and law school? I don't feel I will do too well on the LSAT this weekend and need to start weighing my options or cutting my losses if i forgo applying this cycle. I know some people have mentioned that it is not worth it if you already have a BA, but I don't have any legal connections or substantive work experience that would help my get my foot in the door of any firms. This program requires one complete an internship which the program helps students acquire and may possible help get myself into a firm.

mlopez2600

New

Re: Paralegal certificate worth it?

Post by mlopez2600 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I received my ABA paralegal certification and bachelors prior to law school. Didn't help job-wise, BUT helped tremendously with my legal writing in law school. It also helped with Civ Pro, Property, and Torts. Just gave me a good foundation to build on. I don't think it matters much to employers though. Usually they want 5-6 yrs experience to go with that certification.

Skool

Silver

Re: Paralegal certificate worth it?

Post by Skool » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:27 am

Shasta McNasty wrote:Is an ABA paralegal program worth taking during my second gap year between UG and law school? I don't feel I will do too well on the LSAT this weekend and need to start weighing my options or cutting my losses if i forgo applying this cycle. I know some people have mentioned that it is not worth it if you already have a BA, but I don't have any legal connections or substantive work experience that would help my get my foot in the door of any firms. This program requires one complete an internship which the program helps students acquire and may possible help get myself into a firm.
Can you afford to work for free/intern/voluteer at a local office (private or public interest-y)? You don't need a ton of experience to get the gig and a BA will do. If you can and someone is willing to hire you and is open to letting you have cooler projects than just photo copying once you prove your worth, you can get some experience/connections/references that may lead to a job somewhere within a year, even without a paralegal certificate.

On the other hand sometimes a paralegal certificate can help you stand out from the pack and give you some skills employers will value. But it's not a given anyone will care and if you can get these things by volunteering/interning without paying money to some random program, I think that makes sense and is less risky, especially if you're not sure law is where you want to be. Your para program would probably take as much time to lead to a job as just volunteering and networking.

But each of those paths are going to be filled with discouragements and disappointments. You might hate being a para/the law or may never get the experience you need to make an informed decision. Not to discourage, but please think about plan Bs. It's hard out there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”