Is law school worth it Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Is law school worth it

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:31 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio wrote:it's absolutely not worth it.
TLS absolutism at its best. It's not enough to write "it's usually not worth it" or "I don't think it would be worth it in your circumstances." Instead, law school is ABSOLUTELY, NEVER worth it. Can't people allow for the possibility that, in some circumstances, law school is worth it for those who want to be lawyers?
Yea sure there are a lot of caveats. And we do need some lawyers.

But there's a countervailing aesthetic value to pithy quoted phrases that capture the majority of circumstances that might arise online

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 pm

you are probably one of the few who should go to law school. only thing i would do, is if youre considering these jobs thta make a difference i.e. PSLF eligible jobs, id max out the loans while youre in school and focus on saving your husbands salary.

law is a bad way to get rich. but its a good way to hit the comfy middle class with a chill job. i wouldnt expect your job ot be fulfilling though except in a couple circumstances.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm in a lot of debt and don't make a difference and I worked 80 hours this week and I make less than $100k and I really enjoy it. I think it's worth it. It's good to be a professional. Otherwise your job is something you dred and do just to have money. But you have to like law.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:I'm in a lot of debt and don't make a difference and I worked 80 hours this week and I make less than $100k and I really enjoy it. I think it's worth it. It's good to be a professional. Otherwise your job is something you dred and do just to have money. But you have to like law.
Also keep in mind that the law can take you in all sorts of career paths.

I too make a lot less than 100k but only work 40 hours per week.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Didn't read your post. But given how long it was, in the context of the subject of this thread, I fervently advocate that you do not go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Also the debt thing doesn't matter. It's just a 10% extra tax on your income.

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:48 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Also the debt thing doesn't matter. It's just a 10% extra tax on your income.
Only if you plan to IBR it

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:04 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Didn't read your post. But given how long it was, in the context of the subject of this thread, I fervently advocate that you do not go to law school.
this sounds like a convincing argument :roll:

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I went to law school married. I'm a lawyer now, still married. Law school isn't going to fuck up a strong relationship. If law school breaks you up, you weren't going to last anyway.
Is it safe to assume you are female? (AKA not the expected breadwinner)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:13 pm

cooleygrad wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I went to law school married. I'm a lawyer now, still married. Law school isn't going to fuck up a strong relationship. If law school breaks you up, you weren't going to last anyway.
What the...

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:15 pm

zot1 wrote:
cooleygrad wrote:
What the...
There are things a wife can do that have a different impact on a relation than a husband. Blame it on social programing if you want (it probably is) but it is what it is all the same. Think military spouse as an example if it helps, sure there are men, but people shame them if they sit at home all day not working. And support the woman if she does the same for her "Sacrifice".

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:19 pm

cooleygrad wrote:
zot1 wrote:
cooleygrad wrote:
What the...
There are things a wife can do that have a different impact on a relation than a husband. Blame it on social programing if you want (it probably is) but it is what it is all the same. Think military spouse as an example if it helps, sure there are men, but people shame them if they sit at home all day not working. And support the woman if she does the same for her "Sacrifice".
I still don't understand how this fits into Nony's comment that his/her relationship was strong through law school.

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm saying that if she is a wife, it is WHY her marraige survived it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:36 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Didn't read your post. But given how long it was, in the context of the subject of this thread, I fervently advocate that you do not go to law school.
Who are you trying to impress?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:57 pm

cooleygrad wrote:I'm saying that if she is a wife, it is WHY her marraige survived it.
You don't know shit about my life or my relationship. Or anything, it sounds like.

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:21 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cooleygrad wrote:I'm saying that if she is a wife, it is WHY her marraige survived it.
You don't know shit about my life or my relationship. Or anything, it sounds like.
No shit, thus why I asked.
But based on how you responded...........100% female.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:51 am

cooleygrad wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Damn.

Check and mate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:14 am

cooleygrad wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
You really did go to cooley, didn't you?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Hand wrote:
cooleygrad wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
You really did go to cooley, didn't you?
I kind of figured it was just shtick designed to mock Cooley.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Hikkomorist wrote: I kind of figured it was just shtick designed to mock Cooley.
Yeah, I did as well. And I must confess that I appreciate the posts on that level, because mocking Cooley is cutting-edge satire. You see, Cooley is one of the worst of the ABA-accredited law schools—and, therefore, its grads are dumb!! HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! it's side-splitting hilarity!!!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:59 pm

cooleygrad wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Yes, I am a woman, and I have been the breadwinner in my marriage. My husband and I have traded off being the breadwinner/going to school. At the moment I'm actually more the breadwinner, if you can divide things up that way. Except that we don't define each other as "breadwinner" or "not breadwinner," because we're actual individuals who support each other's choices and goals, and don't share whatever ridiculously regressive ideas you happen to be projecting onto the universe. And even if men were expected to the breadwinner, and women weren't, I don't get how that would make it easier on a marriage for the woman to go to law school to enter a profession that might well make them the breadwinner in the couple, and would certainly take them away from being able to support the sacred male breadwinner. Besides, what if there are 2 wives? or 2 husbands?

So I'll say again: law school isn't always fun, but if it breaks up a marriage, that marriage wasn't going to last long anyway. Regardless of the gender who attends.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yes, I am a woman, and I have been the breadwinner in my marriage. My husband and I have traded off being the breadwinner/going to school. At the moment I'm actually more the breadwinner, if you can divide things up that way. Except that we don't define each other as "breadwinner" or "not breadwinner," because we're actual individuals who support each other's choices and goals, and don't share whatever ridiculously regressive ideas you happen to be projecting onto the universe. And even if men were expected to the breadwinner, and women weren't, I don't get how that would make it easier on a marriage for the woman to go to law school to enter a profession that might well make them the breadwinner in the couple, and would certainly take them away from being able to support the sacred male breadwinner. Besides, what if there are 2 wives? or 2 husbands?

So I'll say again: law school isn't always fun, but if it breaks up a marriage, that marriage wasn't going to last long anyway. Regardless of the gender who attends.
Your response, while cogent and effective, was totally unnecessary. This troll lacks the subtlety necessary to achieve greatness.

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
cooleygrad wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Yes, I am a woman, and I have been the breadwinner in my marriage. My husband and I have traded off being the breadwinner/going to school. At the moment I'm actually more the breadwinner, if you can divide things up that way. Except that we don't define each other as "breadwinner" or "not breadwinner," because we're actual individuals who support each other's choices and goals, and don't share whatever ridiculously regressive ideas you happen to be projecting onto the universe. And even if men were expected to the breadwinner, and women weren't, I don't get how that would make it easier on a marriage for the woman to go to law school to enter a profession that might well make them the breadwinner in the couple, and would certainly take them away from being able to support the sacred male breadwinner. Besides, what if there are 2 wives? or 2 husbands?

social norms just are, well, social norms
I have no agenda-just the ability to see to my left and my right.

HxAxDxExS

New

Post by HxAxDxExS » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:34 am

Exactly, I, as well am married. For three years now. If anything your spouse should encourage it for you, if you guys are at the honest phase of your relationship (Not all people are meant to get married). I feel it is an advantage being married in law school, undergraduate as well (just my opinion)

cooleygrad

New

Post by cooleygrad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:06 pm

HxAxDxExS wrote:
Exactly, I, as well am married. For three years now. If anything your spouse should encourage it for you, if you guys are at the honest phase of your relationship (Not all people are meant to get married). I feel it is an advantage being married in law school, undergraduate as well (just my opinion)
Factor in age too. If you are 22, and she is 18 and thinks motels and noodle dinners are cool then you are probably just as likely to survive as anyone else crazy enough to marry an 18 year old.

If she is 30 and wants to wash her clothes everyday......maybe not.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”