CIA jobs- General Counsel Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sgt Brody.

Bronze

CIA jobs- General Counsel

Post by Sgt Brody. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Does anybody have an idea on how working in the office of the general council at the CIA is? Anybody did internships there, or any first year attorneys?. Would love to hear about the work/ any positives/negatives?

Teoeo

Silver

Re: CIA jobs- General Counsel

Post by Teoeo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Sgt Brody. wrote:Does anybody have an idea on how working in the office of the general council at the CIA is? Anybody did internships there, or any first year attorneys?. Would love to hear about the work/ any positives/negatives?
That information is classified. Any further attempts to elicit it will result in immediate arrest and deportation.

Sgt Brody.

Bronze

Post by Sgt Brody. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Sgt Brody. wrote:Does anybody have an idea on how working in the office of the general council at the CIA is? Anybody did internships there, or any first year attorneys?. Would love to hear about the work/ any positives/negatives?
That information is classified. Any further attempts to elicit it will result in immediate arrest and deportation.
But...I like living life on the edge..

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Can I choose where I am deported to?

Sgt Brody.

Bronze

Post by Sgt Brody. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm

I will have a one way ticket to paris please.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Sgt Brody. wrote:I will have a one way ticket to paris please.
Paris?

Fuck that.

I want to be deported to the International Space Station.

Then hope to cause enough of a ruckus practicing space law that I get deported to Tibet. I heard it was free.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:58 pm

/not off-topic. Apologies to all.

owlofminerva

New

Post by owlofminerva » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 am

I think one of the main things to understand is that CIA GC is going to handle a lot more than just "operational/intelligence law" and it is important for somebody applying there to realize that. Yes, there are going to be people there who are doing the cool things like reviewing proposals for various intelligence operations and advising on the legality of those operations or counseling on the risks involved. However, there are also going to be people who are still going to be doing things like reviewing contracts with various defense/intelligence contractors, handling employment-related issues, and so on like you would find in any other GC's office (a lot of which, admittedly, will still be classified for one reason or another). I think a lot of people when they think aobut working at a place like this tend to think only about the "cool" aspects and not those other more mundane aspects like government contracting and acquisitions. I think it would still be a cool job, no doubt about it, but think it's important for people to manage their expectations.

**Note: Not speaking from direct experience, but I know somebody who did go there and I imagine this operational/administrative distinction is similar to that in the military, with which I am more familiar.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am

UDC is a strong feeder school to the CIA...but "shhhhhh" keep it on the down low.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:42 am

owlofminerva wrote:I think one of the main things to understand is that CIA GC is going to handle a lot more than just "operational/intelligence law" and it is important for somebody applying there to realize that. Yes, there are going to be people there who are doing the cool things like reviewing proposals for various intelligence operations and advising on the legality of those operations or counseling on the risks involved. However, there are also going to be people who are still going to be doing things like reviewing contracts with various defense/intelligence contractors, handling employment-related issues, and so on like you would find in any other GC's office (a lot of which, admittedly, will still be classified for one reason or another). I think a lot of people when they think aobut working at a place like this tend to think only about the "cool" aspects and not those other more mundane aspects like government contracting and acquisitions. I think it would still be a cool job, no doubt about it, but think it's important for people to manage their expectations.

**Note: Not speaking from direct experience, but I know somebody who did go there and I imagine this operational/administrative distinction is similar to that in the military, with which I am more familiar.
This is pretty accurate. I attended a CIA recruiting event during school, and spoke at length with the hosts. The CIA, for all its mystique, is still essentially a giant corporation / government entity and deals with the same problems as everyone else. They have hundreds of employees, so you'd be doing a lot of employment-related law, doc and contract review, etc. If you're lucky enough to actually get a job as an attorney there (a huge, huge, huge "if"), it would take quite some time before you've gained enough experience to be called in on the "cool" stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”