Question about hiring Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Objection57

New

Question about hiring

Post by Objection57 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:15 pm

I have a question about law school and the hiring process that probably sounds naive but hopefully someone can explain it to me. I’ve heard people say that most firms offer jobs to students after their 1L year because the 1L classes are the most important. Is this true? If so, how exactly does that work? I mean, firms hire someone to start two years down the road? And what if you don’t get an offer after year one, does that make it a lot harder to get a good job offer later? Also, is this something that might change as the job market contracts? My apologies if this has been discussed already.

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Question about hiring

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 pm

It's the other way around. 1L grades are so important because the vast majority of large firm hiring happens the beginning of 2L yr.

Large firms interview on campus for their summer programs. You work at the firm the summer after 2L and usually get an offer after graduation

If you don't get a large firm offer at the beginning of 2L year you won't likely ever get another shot. 3L firm hiring is minuscule, in absolute terms and in comparison. Also, a lot of the 3L large firm hiring that does happen is geared towards people who have already worked at large firms 2L summer

People kept saying it was gonna change bc the economy got bad but that didn't really happen

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Big firm hiring occurs early in your 2L year and they only have your 1L grades to look at which is why they are so important. Usually the firm you spend your summer at is the one that offers you at the end of your 2L summer. There is not a lot of 3L hiring which is why this time period is so important however small law firm and public interest opportunities might be available but for people who are big law or bust missing out on a 2L SA usually makes it very difficult to get one later.

Objection57

New

Post by Objection57 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”