Alternative Legal Careers Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ryry0613

New

Alternative Legal Careers

Post by ryry0613 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Has anyone ever looked into the prospect of searching for jobs after obtaining a JD degree however; without necessarily being licensed to practice law? For example many law students graduate from a lower tier school and have difficulty obtaining work formally as an attorney and others may not be admitted to the bar for various reasons ie: substance abuse issues or a criminal record. It seems as though many job opportunities exist in the insurance and banking industries, writing contracts, reviewing financial documents etc... I am applying to law school shortly and considering alternative law careers.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: Alternative Legal Careers

Post by Grazzhoppa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 am

if you can't become a lawyer you shouldn't go to law school.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:02 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:if you can't become a lawyer you shouldn't go to law school.
Doesn't mean we shouldn't hear from folks doing related work, if anybody can chime in. Of course, one shouldn't apply to ls, if one does not intend to practice law.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:06 am

ryry0613 wrote:It seems as though many job opportunities exist in the insurance and banking industries, writing contracts, reviewing financial documents etc.
Most of these jobs are for lawyers and few of them are available to fresh law grads.

ryry0613

New

Post by ryry0613 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:50 am

After further research it appears that using a JD without bar admission appears to be relatively common. Document review jobs are available at larger businesses which doesn't require lecensure and many firms are willing to accept a JD instead of an MBA, though typically these jobs pay less than what being admitted as an attorney would entail. Insurance companies also hire JD's to determine contract liabilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:55 am

But then you wouldn't be an Attorney at Law.

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 am

I'd only recommend law school to anyone where their first priority is being an attorney. Anything else you are wasting your time and $$$$$

Law school is professional school like med school. You definitely don't see MDs looking for alternate careers they want to be doctors

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 am

ryry0613 wrote:Has anyone ever looked into the prospect of searching for jobs after obtaining a JD degree however; without necessarily being licensed to practice law? For example many law students graduate from a lower tier school and have difficulty obtaining work formally as an attorney and others may not be admitted to the bar for various reasons ie: substance abuse issues or a criminal record. It seems as though many job opportunities exist in the insurance and banking industries, writing contracts, reviewing financial documents etc... I am applying to law school shortly and considering alternative law careers.
OH THE HUMANITY

Quiet Batperson

New

Post by Quiet Batperson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:43 pm

ryry0613 wrote:After further research it appears that using a JD without bar admission appears to be relatively common. Document review jobs are available at larger businesses which doesn't require lecensure and many firms are willing to accept a JD instead of an MBA, though typically these jobs pay less than what being admitted as an attorney would entail. Insurance companies also hire JD's to determine contract liabilities.
That's news to me. Where are you seeing these postings?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ryry0613

New

Post by ryry0613 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 am

Went to several job search engines and I simply searched for "JD preferred". The pay still seems better at the larger law firms as an attorney but a law degree seems as though it can be used similar to an MBA as well.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:29 am

ryry0613 wrote:Went to several job search engines and I simply searched for "JD preferred". The pay still seems better at the larger law firms as an attorney but a law degree seems as though it can be used similar to an MBA as well.
It ain't easy to get these jobs, brej.

ryry0613

New

Post by ryry0613 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:39 am

Tom Joad wrote:
ryry0613 wrote:Went to several job search engines and I simply searched for "JD preferred". The pay still seems better at the larger law firms as an attorney but a law degree seems as though it can be used similar to an MBA as well.
True, but if a JD and an MBA both applied to a contract manager review job, a jd would already know everything necessary regarding the legality of a business contract whereas an MBA just recieves a broad education in business management. At least with a jd you recieve a skill you can use in the business world and law.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:40 am

ryry0613 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
True, but if a JD and an MBA both applied to a contract manager review job, a jd would already know everything necessary regarding the legality of a business contract whereas an MBA just recieves a broad education in business management. At least with a jd you recieve a skill you can use in the business world and law.
You aren't serious, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ryry0613

New

Post by ryry0613 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:09 am

Tom Joad wrote:
ryry0613 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
You aren't serious, right?
Of course im serious an individual with a law degree is obviously going to be more familiar with contract law than someone else

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 am

You don't need to be an attorney to write a contract.

ryry0613

New

Post by ryry0613 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:04 am

Tom Joad wrote:You don't need to be an attorney to write a contract.
Absolutely correct however,document reviewers ensure the terms of the contract are in fact legal and in compliance with government regulations.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:25 am

ryry0613 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
But the MBA will understand the purpose of the contract better
(Not to mention that many MBA programs require at least one law course)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:36 am

ryry0613 wrote:
Absolutely correct however,document reviewers ensure the terms of the contract are in fact legal and in compliance with government regulations.
That's not what doc reviewers do.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:56 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
ryry0613 wrote:
That's not what doc reviewers do.
doc review is cockroach

Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Post by Kafkaesquire » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:02 am

Compliance, medicine....

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:55 am

guano wrote:
ryry0613 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
But the MBA will understand the purpose of the contract better
(Not to mention that many MBA programs require at least one law course)
that is probably not true. TTT MBA's are on the same level as TTT JD's. MBA is only useful if you go to the top programs, and its useful there because of networking circles and prestige. I don't think there are any MBA-related skills or knowledge that a smart JD could not pick up in a few weeks. See eg, McKinsey "mini MBA" where they teach you the entire MBA curriculum in like 3 weeks or something like that (http://mld.mckinsey.com/sites/default/f ... ochure.pdf)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 am

Kafkaesquire wrote:Compliance, medicine....
I'd love to know how to get into medicine with a JD...

Kafkaesquire

Bronze

Post by Kafkaesquire » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 am

TheWeeIceMon wrote:
That's simple. Get your JD. Though not necessarily there physically, your JD with be with you figuratively as you go through medical school. If you get through medical school with your JD, you can get into medicine with your JD.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 am

ryry0613 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
You are completely and utterly wrong. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself rather than getting real advice. Do not go to law school unless you want to practice law as an attorney.

TheWeeIceMon

Silver

Post by TheWeeIceMon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Kafkaesquire wrote:
TheWeeIceMon wrote:
That's simple. Get your JD. Though not necessarily there physically, your JD with be with you figuratively as you go through medical school. If you get through medical school with your JD, you can get into medicine with your JD.
Wut? That's not an alternative legal career. That's an entirely new career.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”