Is midlaw/boutique right out of school still a "unicorn"? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ScottRiqui

Gold

Is midlaw/boutique right out of school still a "unicorn"?

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:56 am

If I know that I want to end up doing IP work in a secondary market (ADH), and that $100-130k/yr would be great, is there any real chance of doing that right after graduation? Or is it better to shoot for something bigger, and (assuming I get it), stick with it for 2-3 years before transferring?

Diamond

Re: Is midlaw/boutique right out of school still a "unicorn"?

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 am

A lot of IP boutiques do hire entry level. I rate your plan as not insane.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:A lot of IP boutiques do hire entry level. I rate your plan as not insane.
Thanks. I was curious because when I first joined, there were a LOT more discussions about the bimodal nature of starting salaries, and the "conventional wisdom" seemed be that all you could realistically hope for out of law school was biglaw, shitlaw or nolaw. I didn't know if things had changed, or if it just wasn't a hot topic anymore.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:44 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:A lot of IP boutiques do hire entry level. I rate your plan as not insane.
Thanks. I was curious because when I first joined, there were a LOT more discussions about the bimodal nature of starting salaries, and the "conventional wisdom" seemed be that all you could realistically hope for out of law school was biglaw, shitlaw or nolaw. I didn't know if things had changed, or if it just wasn't a hot topic anymore.
If you have grades for big law then you might be able to swing midlaw. They exist largely in secondary markets. The firm I work for pays 80k to start, but the expectations seems to be more 9-5. I am usually the last person in the office leaving at six and the first one there at 8am everyday. They only took 5 SA's so its going to take some legwork.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”