Calling all 2Ls attending a T14: How did OCI go this year? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

How did this year's OCI results compare to the last couple of years at your school?

Better
31%
Worse
41%
About the same
28%

Total votes: 29

hume85

Silver

Calling all 2Ls attending a T14: How did OCI go this year?

Post by hume85 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 am

Are you a 2L at a T14? Many 0Ls are curious how OCI went at your school this year. Would you do us all a great service and post what you know or think about how OCI went at your school this year? What school do you attend? What percentage of the class do you think received an offer to become a SA in Biglaw, Midlaw, or at a boutique? How do you think the results of this year's OCI compare to the last couple of years? Thank you very much in advance.

The Duck

Bronze

Re: Calling all 2Ls attending a T14: How did OCI go this year?

Post by The Duck » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:27 am

I love how all these threads assume 2L's have some great understanding of either past OCIs or how all of their classmates did this year.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:04 am

Another thing that needs to be considered is that 2L OCI is no longer an excellent measure of post law school employment. No-offers/"cold"-offers are running rampant now.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:07 am

This thread and the other in the OP, should give you an idea.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 am

The Duck wrote:I love how all these threads assume 2L's have some great understanding of either past OCIs or how all of their classmates did this year.
Agreed, not a good way to evaluate the market or compare schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't have the right information to respond accurately. The buzz from the few people I've talked to involved in hiring or who have sources that are say that hiring tightened up a bit, with firms feeling a bit less optimistic about a recovery than they were last year. How that affected my school in particular, I have no idea. Placement could have taken a mild dip, or stayed about the same. We won't know until the numbers come out.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 pm

In before misguided references to "CCN," "MVP," "DNCG."

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Another thing that needs to be considered is that 2L OCI is no longer an excellent measure of post law school employment. No-offers/"cold"-offers are running rampant now.
Running rampant is a pretty good exageration

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:46 pm

RPK34 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Another thing that needs to be considered is that 2L OCI is no longer an excellent measure of post law school employment. No-offers/"cold"-offers are running rampant now.
Running rampant is a pretty good exageration
Southern firms are historically more likely to no offer which makes me wonder if people from southern-placing schools feel worse about offer rates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Another wildly inaccurate BW statement :roll:

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:32 pm

rad lulz wrote:In before misguided references to "CCN," "MVP," "DNCG."
Dude, don't you know? There are only two categories, HYS and foodstamps. BW will make sure you rekanize.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And aren't you a 1L?
Dude, don't you know? There are only two categories, HYS and foodstamps. BW will make sure you rekanize.
I swear to god you must have paid someone to take your LSAT because you are the king of strawmen.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm

IAFG wrote:Southern firms are historically more likely to no offer which makes me wonder if people from southern-placing schools feel worse about offer rates.
You're right about the South being worse but I actually know people this year who got no-offered at NYC firms and even one who got no-offered from what's considered one of the best firms in DC. The other thing is that if you go to the thread made this summer about no-offers there are several posters at large vault firms who got no-offered. The thing is firms of that size often "cold" offer which I don't think nalp records as a no-offer. The whole idea of a cold-offer is just wild to me but that' for another thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
IAFG wrote:Southern firms are historically more likely to no offer which makes me wonder if people from southern-placing schools feel worse about offer rates.
You're right about the South being worse but I actually know people this year who got no-offered at NYC firms and even one who got no-offered from what's considered one of the best firms in DC. The other thing is that if you go to the thread made this summer about no-offers there are several posters at large vault firms who got no-offered. The thing is firms of that size often "cold" offer which I don't think nalp records as a no-offer. The whole idea of a cold-offer is just wild to me but that' for another thread.
Historical rates offer rates are 85-92%. There really isn't any indication that this year was outside of that range.

JO 14

New

Post by JO 14 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:26 pm

The cohorts I know got pretty much what they wanted. However, not everyone landed in the city they wanted. . . DC and Atlanta to be specific. Those still looking are certainly the exception. No way to know if ’12 was better/worse than ’11, but no street talk that ’12 was worse.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Seems that this year was a little worse than last: Firms seem to be generally holding steady or reducing class sizes.

And I might as well repeat this again: Firm hiring is not anything like applying to law school. Your 1L grades are necessary but not sufficient for an offer. Which means that kids with good or even great grades can get left out in the cold if they interview poorly, or have a shit resume, or don't click with their interviewer(s). And this can be tough to accept, especially as the rejections start rolling in for you and your friends. OCI is a volatile, unpredictable, and often disheartening process, and luck can sometimes make or break your career outlook.

But, with all of that said, me and my friends (all at or above median) all ended up with biglaw. So, fuck if I know, I guess.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And aren't you a 1L?
No, I am a 3L at CLS, and I know at least 50 people (more if I count all the people at my firm) who were offered this summer and not a single person who was no-offered or cold-offered. Yes, I know anecdotal evidence is not statistically significant, but I assume anecdotes are what you are basing your conclusion on unless you are privy to some special data. I also realize people are less likely to broadcast a no-offer/cold offer, but word gets around. I think if no offers and cold offers were "rampant" I would know at least one person IRL.

"Rampant" to me would mean like at least 30 or 40% were being no-offered....summer 2009 had rampant no offers. As DF said, offers have generally been 85-92% and I have seen nothing that would suggest a fluctuation from that.

Look, I don't think anyone thinks it is rosy out there. But there is no reason for unnecessary hyperbole like "rampant" no offers. The thing that bothers me about many of your posts is that it seems like you are not just reporting on something but that you actually want things to be as terrible and hopeless as possible. There is generally too much unwarranted optimism among prospective law students, which needs to be tempered, but it does not need the hefty dose of irrationally pessimistic hopelessness you interject (with some resentment thrown in there for good measure).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:29 pm

beachbum wrote:Seems that this year was a little worse than last: Firms seem to be generally holding steady or reducing class sizes.

And I might as well repeat this again: Firm hiring is not anything like applying to law school. Your 1L grades are necessary but not sufficient for an offer. Which means that kids with good or even great grades can get left out in the cold if they interview poorly, or have a shit resume, or don't click with their interviewer(s). And this can be tough to accept, especially as the rejections start rolling in for you and your friends. OCI is a volatile, unpredictable, and often disheartening process, and luck can sometimes make or break your career outlook.

But, with all of that said, me and my friends (all at or above median) all ended up with biglaw. So, fuck if I know, I guess.
I think this post sums it up. Good interviewing skills and being personable is increasingly becoming VERY important for OCI interviews.

Most friends have a biglaw job secured, but for many it was their only offer, which was very scary for those that got the offer late in the cycle. I do know a few above median people still struggling.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:35 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
I swear to god you must have paid someone to take your LSAT because you are the king of strawmen.
--ImageRemoved--

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 pm

NYU 2L

Know a few without offers, hard to say for sure both some are easier to guess than others (i.e. you know they have 0 interest in public interest gigs but they are interviewing for them now). Also, hard to know where they fall in the class, which is another contributing factor that you need to know to really get an idea of how things are. My personal data point was that I was able to land a biglaw gig, and my grades are somewhere in the "happy middle of employability." My anecdotal experience is that grades were the biggest factor, I had a ton of excellent softs, yet my grades were a much bigger predictor of my cycle than my work experience before law school or excellent interviewing skills. I think you would be better served to just read the OCI thread, people are unlikely to divulge much information without the veil of anonymity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”