Educational background and transactional law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Post Reply
AllDangle

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Educational background and transactional law

Post by AllDangle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

I majored in CJ during college. However, my interests in law fall into transactional practice. I have been reading as much as I can about securities, financial markets, etc., which is genuinely interesting to me. However, would the CJ degree make this a hard sell since I won't have the option to take transactional related classes prior to 2L OCI? Or will grades/school trump that? I imagine a firm would train and teach someone the ropes for whatever practice group they are in, but will someone interviewing me look down on the fact I don't have a finance/business background?

de5igual

Silver
Posts: 1442
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Educational background and transactional law

Post by de5igual » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:01 am

the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.

AllDangle

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Re: Educational background and transactional law

Post by AllDangle » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:44 am

f0bolous wrote:the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.
Thanks for the input. Displaying a legitimate interest during interviews should be enough then (obviously grades also)?

de5igual

Silver
Posts: 1442
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Educational background and transactional law

Post by de5igual » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm

AllDangle wrote:
f0bolous wrote:the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.
Thanks for the input. Displaying a legitimate interest during interviews should be enough then (obviously grades also)?
Yes, but grades matter far more than interest.

dukeblue

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Educational background and transactional law

Post by dukeblue » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 am

f0bolous wrote:
AllDangle wrote:
f0bolous wrote:the vast majority of people going into transactional law don't even know what a financial statement is. you'll be fine.
Thanks for the input. Displaying a legitimate interest during interviews should be enough then (obviously grades also)?
Yes, but grades matter far more than interest.
TITCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”