Exam Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Venom

New

Exam Question

Post by Venom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 am

My crim law professor says the biggest thing he wants to see on our exams is arguments from both sides. He is not overly concerned with the BLL, statutes, or case references. I'm just unsure on how to go about studying for what he's looking for.

Should I be making policy arguments based on outcome for each respective side is pulling for? Or is there something else I should be focusing on?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!

ilovesf

Diamond

Re: Exam Question

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 am

Venom wrote:My crim law professor says the biggest thing he wants to see on our exams is arguments from both sides. He is not overly concerned with the BLL, statutes, or case references. I'm just unsure on how to go about studying for what he's looking for.

Should I be making policy arguments based on outcome for each respective side is pulling for? Or is there something else I should be focusing on?

Arguments for both sides, if lets say it's murder, will be like defendant will argue it was heat of passion because of x, y,z and if successful it will mitigate the crime down to voluntary manslaughter. On the other hand, he had sufficient time to think over his actions, etc. it's about seeing it from different points of view. I have no idea about policy. That is usually professor specific. You should ask 2Ls at your school, or find someone on here who goes to your school. Are there no model answers?

Venom

New

Post by Venom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Unfortunately not. It's a new professor so no previous exams and 2L's didn't have him.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Venom wrote:Unfortunately not. It's a new professor so no previous exams and 2L's didn't have him.
Then do a practice exam from a different prof and ask to go over it with your prof. If your prof won't actually read it, then take one issue from the exam and tell your prof how you would answer it and see if it seems right

Venom

New

Post by Venom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

That's actually a really great idea. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Venom wrote:That's actually a really great idea. Thanks!
No problem. Good luck :)

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 am

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-To-Maybe- ... 0890897603

Please tell me you're not contacting your professors a month before the semester even begins, asking about exams.

bloobook

Bronze

Post by bloobook » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:29 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:32 am

Venom wrote:My crim law professor says the biggest thing he wants to see on our exams is arguments from both sides. He is not overly concerned with the BLL, statutes, or case references. I'm just unsure on how to go about studying for what he's looking for.

Dudewutyeah, you're posting this on July 20th?

Venom

New

Post by Venom » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:02 pm

bloobook wrote:^ Could be an early start summer class?

Yup, early summer start.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”