Did you keep up your WORK OUT routine THROUGH finals? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Did you keep up your WORK OUT routine THROUGH finals?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:19 am

Yes- Priorities and efficiency, brah
37%
Kind of- Scaled back, but still fit in some
32%
No- Study 24/7 or yourdoinitwrong.jpg
32%

Total votes: 38

drbarry987

Bronze

Did you keep up your WORK OUT routine THROUGH finals?

Post by drbarry987 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:19 am

Trying to decide if I should pre pay my Cross Fit gym membership near my CCN for 6 months (get ~20% break) or if I should go month to month because, realistically, everything but sleep and practices exams shuts down a month before finals. Right now I do Cross Fit six times a week at 6am and it gives me a ton of energy/focus and makes me just a happier person. Just wanted to ask all ya'll fitness peeps if you kept up your routine throughout finals, scaled back, or temporarily abandoned completely?

TheZoid

Bronze

Re: Did you keep up your WORK OUT routine THROUGH finals?

Post by TheZoid » Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 am

0L here so I wouldn't know in practice but I would say it's probably worth it to keep doing it. I would think your performance and efficiency would suffer as a result of not doing it, at least a little bit, especially if it's such a consistent part of your routine.

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Thu May 17, 2012 11:34 am

If you're a crossfitter then you know how hard it is to just give it up. You'll feel like shit while you're studying. Keep the membership and just scale back to 3-4 times/week if you need.

Of course I'm a 0L so what the hell do I know. What's your Fran time?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 am

You might have to scale it back in the couple weeks before finals but realistically even then you'll have time to work out, especially if it makes you feel better

ausoccer19

New

Post by ausoccer19 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 am

I actually ran more during finals

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu May 17, 2012 11:46 am

I cut back during finals to 3 or 4 times a week, but when I went I found I went significantly harder than normal. I also changed what I did: Instead of running/lifting, I biked so I could read an E&E at least two of the 3 or 4 trips to the gym. I found that I'd stay on the bike longer while reading the E & E than just listening to music/watching TV, so it actually worked in my favor.

Short answer: Keep the membership. It's too hard to give it up completely and, if you're getting enough sleep that you can still get up and go at or around 6am, it's definitely going to be worth it to you to have that release a few times during finals.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:30 pm

If working out is one of the ways you deal with stress, you need to find a way to do it during finals. My 1L finals were in the evenings at around 6 p.m. so I just closed the books at 2 and worked out the day of all my finals to clear out the pre-exam jitters.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Fri May 18, 2012 2:41 pm

I didn't exercise all semester, but I was a ball of stress (I had hip surgery, and my free time was spent on PT). So that skews my answer.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri May 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I cut back about 1 month out, and exercised about once every week or two during finals itself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat May 19, 2012 10:58 am

What's the point of cutting back?

Who legitimately studies for 15 hours a day? Even if you could, it's not going to be much more effective than a normal 10 hour day. Realistically, people will be cutting their workout and spending the balance on Facebook.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat May 19, 2012 3:42 pm

nealric wrote:What's the point of cutting back?

Who legitimately studies for 15 hours a day? Even if you could, it's not going to be much more effective than a normal 10 hour day. Realistically, people will be cutting their workout and spending the balance on Facebook.
If I keep up my gym routine I need more sleep/am slightly more tired throughout the day. Though I will admit that as a 2L I cared less about devoting every waking hour to studying, and will probably keep my gym routine going through most of finals as a 3L.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat May 19, 2012 3:44 pm

TheZoid wrote:0L here so I wouldn't know in practice but I would say it's probably worth it to keep doing it. I would think your performance and efficiency would suffer as a result of not doing it, at least a little bit, especially if it's such a consistent part of your routine.
Don't post here.

OP, I only got there 2-3 times a week if I was lucky. Everyone is different.

jlxbos

New

Post by jlxbos » Sat May 19, 2012 4:06 pm

keep it up.

alternatively, i know my gym allows you to freeze your membership if you're, say, going on vacay or what have you. maybe you can freeze yours for the final 2 weeks of crunch time or whatever?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat May 19, 2012 7:10 pm

the fear of getting fat for the summer kept me in the gym and focused on eating healthy.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun May 20, 2012 11:00 am

Pretty much cut working out down to running a few miles and doing situps like two or three times a week. Just made sure I kept eating healthy.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:29 pm

My 1L year, I completely gave up working out. But, this year I found myself actually working out more in an effort to procrastinate. I guess it depends on how rough your finals schedule is and how much you care.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”