Is law school really like high school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ThreeRivers

Silver

Re: Is law school really like high school?

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed May 16, 2012 10:00 am

Lawst wrote: I'm gonna guess you are a dude. .
Assumption is correct

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
togepi wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Did anyone else never really notice cliques in HS? TLS seems to all take that as fact, I always just assumed that was overplayed 1970s stuff that hollywood movies like to still portray with 29 year old actors
There were in my high school:

popular kids, future hipsters, anime/nerdy guys

even racially separated between whites and blacks. I went to high school in Alabama and was one of the few Asian kids there haha
I saw all of that in middle school. My middle school was the sterotypical everyone just associated with their group / would never be caught dead with those kids over there / kids got picked on, etc...

By the time hs hit, everyone just pretty much hung out with their friends / didn't seem to be many problems, but there was a lot of "intermixing." Idk, I talked to black kids, jocks, nerds, average kids, etc... Obviously one was more likely to hang out with others more like them but different groups seemed to have 0 problem with the others.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or my hs was an exception
Ah, this might be the difference too. I went to Catholic school for eight years. I was in middle school with mostly the same 60 kids I had been in school with since first grade. So maybe that's why I felt hazed from grades 9-12, when I switched to a public high school. I had friends, played sports, but still felt like a perpetual outsider. So, yeah, law school is definitely friendlier than high school in my experience.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed May 16, 2012 10:13 am

Lawst wrote: Ah, this might be the difference too. I went to Catholic school for eight years. I was in middle school with mostly the same 60 kids I had been in school with since first grade. So maybe that's why I felt hazed from grades 9-12, when I switched to a public high school. I had friends, played sports, but still felt like a perpetual outsider. So, yeah, law school is definitely friendlier than high school in my experience.
This really might explain everything lol

I actually went to Catholic school until 5th grade / felt like somewhat of an outsider in middle school.

But by the time I graduated hs I was with some of them for 7 years so really didn't anymore. I think being thrown in with kids who grew up with each other since they were 6 is always a little different at first

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed May 16, 2012 10:13 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
Assumption is correct
I'm gonna guess you went to a nice high school in Pitt, maybe suburbs. Butler?

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Wed May 16, 2012 11:24 am

In my high school, people certainly formed different groups, but I think everybody was nice to each other and got along. As I recall, there was more animosity/competition within groups than between them. Maybe because it was a small school, it was impossible for anybody to ignore or shun anybody else. I don't know.

This thread is making me think about a lot of things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu May 17, 2012 3:22 pm

paratactical wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
Assumption is correct
I'm gonna guess you went to a nice high school in Pitt, maybe suburbs. Butler?
Lol couldn't be more incorrect..

I was going to type a huge long thing about how horrible my high school was academically / different stories but I'll just sum it up:
Finished 2 away from last in state of PA on PSSA in year I graduated
Bankrupt / rain falls on your head during class
Multiple schools in district continue to be shutdown by state

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”