Stanford Students Taking Qs (2011-12 Edition) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
simpletimes

New

Re: Stanford Students Taking Qs (2011-12 Edition)

Post by simpletimes » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 pm

unfortunately it appears that there are none :(

Stig

New

Post by Stig » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm

simpletimes wrote:unfortunately it appears that there are none :(
I pm'd chumba! (but no response from him/her)

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Question on housing.

If you get a room in Munger/Escondido your first year, is it impossible to stay in that same room for all three years? What if you have a spouse who will stay on campus during the summer? Thanks in advance.

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:51 pm

I have a question regarding the award letter. Mine has the fellowship, perkins, direct unsubsidized, and what is listed as "graduate loan"...is this last one a private loan?

simpletimes

New

Post by simpletimes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:49 am

we're on break, sorry for slow responses.

housing wise -- yes, my understanding is you can remain in your housing if you select yearlong at the beginning. i'm not sure exactly how it works though as we haven't done housing for next year yet.

graduate loan is the federal loan that covers everything that isn't covered by a perkins/stafford. you can get that or a private loan, each have their advantages/disadvantages.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:04 am

simpletimes wrote:we're on break, sorry for slow responses.

housing wise -- yes, my understanding is you can remain in your housing if you select yearlong at the beginning. i'm not sure exactly how it works though as we haven't done housing for next year yet.

graduate loan is the federal loan that covers everything that isn't covered by a perkins/stafford. you can get that or a private loan, each have their advantages/disadvantages.
Thanks!!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:11 am

sold.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:25 am

hey! i didn't apply for the mba program and now im thinking i might want to go for the jd/mba. how hard is this to accomplish?

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 am

simpletimes wrote:we're on break, sorry for slow responses.

Yes, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 am

Anyone in your class doing joint jd/Eco phd?

Bronze

Post by 1212 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:49 am

Geneva wrote:hey! i didn't apply for the mba program and now im thinking i might want to go for the jd/mba. how hard is this to accomplish?
+1

Dani.B

Bronze

Post by Dani.B » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 pm

For those that receive aid, Did Stanford significantly reduce your fellowship for the next year after you worked at a firm during the summer?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:58 am

What is the deadline to turn in the necessary paperwork for need-based awards? I know that most schools have a March 1 priority deadline, but I've been struggling to get my parental financial information and have yet to submit my FAFSA. If I turn the paperwork in by this Friday, do you think I will still get full consideration for aid? I'm trying to decide if I should explain my situation to Stanford (in order to hopefully get forgiveness for the tardiness) or if it is still early enough in the season of aid distribution that my award won't be affected by late submission. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:00 am

1212 wrote:Thank you so much for doing this guys!! This is great!!

Any thoughts on the February OCI that is primarily for 1Ls? Is this how a lot of 1Ls secure summer employment?

http://www.law.stanford.edu/experience/ ... ng_program_
What %age of 1Ls get summer employment thru Feb OCIs? So psyched about this opportunity!!!!!!!

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:26 am

Dani.B wrote:For those that receive aid, Did Stanford significantly reduce your fellowship for the next year after you worked at a firm during the summer?
I'm interested in this as well, both if you worked for a firm after your first year or if you had a low paying (or no paying) job.

hung jury

Bronze

Post by hung jury » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm a 1L but my understanding is that you only get to keep 43% of every dollar you make over 6k (per year) if you are receiving financial aid.

Dani.B

Bronze

Post by Dani.B » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:29 pm

hung jury wrote:I'm a 1L but my understanding is that you only get to keep 43% of every dollar you make over 6k (per year) if you are receiving financial aid.
thank you very much for this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

simpletimes

New

Post by simpletimes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Geneva wrote:hey! i didn't apply for the mba program and now im thinking i might want to go for the jd/mba. how hard is this to accomplish?
it depends. from my understanding, there was a period (when there were fewer JD/MBAs) that you could just apply and get in. now, it is not quite that simple. you'll have to be able to be competitive for the b-school to get in, though I think the law school calls over on your behalf and they seem to be amenable to having a fair number of JD/MBAs.

simpletimes

New

Post by simpletimes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Br3v wrote:Anyone in your class doing joint jd/Eco phd?
Nobody that I know personally, although I have heard there is at least one? JD/PhD's seem encouraged, however.

simpletimes

New

Post by simpletimes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Geneva wrote:What is the deadline to turn in the necessary paperwork for need-based awards? I know that most schools have a March 1 priority deadline, but I've been struggling to get my parental financial information and have yet to submit my FAFSA. If I turn the paperwork in by this Friday, do you think I will still get full consideration for aid? I'm trying to decide if I should explain my situation to Stanford (in order to hopefully get forgiveness for the tardiness) or if it is still early enough in the season of aid distribution that my award won't be affected by late submission. Thanks!
I would just call the financial aid office, they're helpful and can give you a much better idea than any of us.

Geneva wrote:

Any thoughts on the February OCI that is primarily for 1Ls? Is this how a lot of 1Ls secure summer employment?

What %age of 1Ls get summer employment thru Feb OCIs? So psyched about this opportunity!!!!!!!
Probably in the 10-15% range? Off the top of my head, I can think of about 7 people...but that's probably lower than the total by a decent bit. It's better than nothing, and helps a number of 1Ls receive firm jobs and/or interview experience with firms. I would say the majority of 1Ls aren't really that interested in working for firms their first summer, however, and look for employment through other means (of which there are many)

Dani.B

Bronze

Post by Dani.B » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm coming for admitted students weekend with a parent who as no interest in attending admitted students events lol She wants to take the train into San Fran. Any suggestions for things she should do?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:16 pm

simpletimes wrote:
Geneva wrote:What is the deadline to turn in the necessary paperwork for need-based awards? I know that most schools have a March 1 priority deadline, but I've been struggling to get my parental financial information and have yet to submit my FAFSA. If I turn the paperwork in by this Friday, do you think I will still get full consideration for aid? I'm trying to decide if I should explain my situation to Stanford (in order to hopefully get forgiveness for the tardiness) or if it is still early enough in the season of aid distribution that my award won't be affected by late submission. Thanks!
I would just call the financial aid office, they're helpful and can give you a much better idea than any of us.

Geneva wrote:

Probably in the 10-15% range? Off the top of my head, I can think of about 7 people...but that's probably lower than the total by a decent bit. It's better than nothing, and helps a number of 1Ls receive firm jobs and/or interview experience with firms. I would say the majority of 1Ls aren't really that interested in working for firms their first summer, however, and look for employment through other means (of which there are many)
Thanks! What other means are there for people that aren't interested in P.I.? I think I would like to work for a firm 1L summer just to figure out if it is the track I want to take.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:41 am

is it possible to get need-based aid if there is zero parental info for someone that is financially independent?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 am

simpletimes wrote:
it depends. from my understanding, there was a period (when there were fewer JD/MBAs) that you could just apply and get in. now, it is not quite that simple. you'll have to be able to be competitive for the b-school to get in, though I think the law school calls over on your behalf and they seem to be amenable to having a fair number of JD/MBAs.
I'd say 60% of my class (2Ls) that applied to the JD/MBA got in, and I don't know a single person flat-out rejected; i.e., everyone at least made the first interview round. It's a tremendous improvement over the normal 7%ish admit rate.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 am

Kretzy wrote:
simpletimes wrote:
I'd say 60% of my class (2Ls) that applied to the JD/MBA got in, and I don't know a single person flat-out rejected; i.e., everyone at least made the first interview round. It's a tremendous improvement over the normal 7%ish admit rate.
hooray! thank you for the info:) i am having trouble getting my dad's income level/financial info...how strict r they about disclosure of parental info for need based awards? are there ever exceptions made (in the case of estrangement, for example) where only ur income is considered?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”