NYU 2L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Gold

Re: NYU 2L Taking Questions

Post by Renzo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:54 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:Can you write about the first year professors similar to this post?

An off the record look at Penn 1st Year Professors
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=142530
You mean in a rambling, crazy way that violates the board's rules? No.

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Renzo wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:Can you write about the first year professors similar to this post?

the rambling or the opinions on professors?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Renzo wrote:

Lmao. Seriously

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 pm

thecilent wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Lmao. Seriously
ok.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:37 am

HarlandBassett wrote:
thecilent wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Lmao. Seriously
ok.
Happy to give non-crazy, non-anonymous advice about any prof's I'm familiar with, however, if you have questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:59 am

zanda wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:I'm cross-posting a question I asked in the NYU 3L thread in case people in here want to chime in. Renzo, thanks for your response in the other thread.

Of the people you know who are doing public interest work, have any paid full price intending to fall back on LRAP? I realize that's a sensitive topic and may not come up in casual conversation, but I'd appreciate any insight you might have. I received $54k from Michigan and wonder if it's completely crazy to pass that up to do PI at NYU at (presumably) sticker. I'd prefer NYU for its job prospects, PI resources, faculty, and centers and journals, but I don't want to drown it debt, though FWIW I've lived in NYC for the last two years on a salary of under $40k.

/ramble
One of my close friends is paying full price and intends to use LRAP. She's a 2L so still looking for something to do this summer. Your instinct is correct that people generally don't discuss how much scholarship money (if any) they have, so it's hard to say what percentage of LRAP people are in that position, though it doesn't seem terribly unusual.

What I've noticed during my year and a half of law school is that many students struggle to live on a budget because they're used to, for example, eating out all the time or going to see Broadway shows frequently. Since you sound like you're used to not spending crazily, I think you'll be just fine.
I'm a 1L who intends to rely on LRAP, and I had a similar offer from Michigan (may have been the same one, don't remember the exact amount). I actually have a sizable scholarship from NYU as well, but probably would have come without it. Frankly, the LRAP is so good that if you are dead set on public interest, you will probably end up paying less for law school using NYU's LRAP than you would with Michigan's scholarship.

I also lived in NYC with less than a $40,000 salary before law school, and really have been living pretty much the same lifestyle in school. I do recommend living off campus and commuting though, it saves a lot of money, and I think a lot of your sanity as well.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:01 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:I'm a 1L who intends to rely on LRAP, and I had a similar offer from Michigan (may have been the same one, don't remember the exact amount). I actually have a sizable scholarship from NYU as well, but probably would have come without it. Frankly, the LRAP is so good that if you are dead set on public interest, you will probably end up paying less for law school using NYU's LRAP than you would with Michigan's scholarship.

I also lived in NYC with less than a $40,000 salary before law school, and really have been living pretty much the same lifestyle in school. I do recommend living off campus and commuting though, it saves a lot of money, and I think a lot of your sanity as well.
Thanks for the reply. Did NYU offer you the scholarship off the bat, or did you leverage another offer? I'm applying for the RTK scholarship, but based on the winners' bios posted on NYU's website, I think I have between a 0 and 1% chance.

I may PM you with more questions if you don't mind. I've only done light research about different schools' LRAP programs, but I plan on digging deeper soon and would appreciate any more info about NYU's offering.

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:41 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
WrappedUpInBooks wrote:I'm a 1L who intends to rely on LRAP, and I had a similar offer from Michigan (may have been the same one, don't remember the exact amount). I actually have a sizable scholarship from NYU as well, but probably would have come without it. Frankly, the LRAP is so good that if you are dead set on public interest, you will probably end up paying less for law school using NYU's LRAP than you would with Michigan's scholarship.

Thanks for the reply. Did NYU offer you the scholarship off the bat, or did you leverage another offer? I'm applying for the RTK scholarship, but based on the winners' bios posted on NYU's website, I think I have between a 0 and 1% chance.

I may PM you with more questions if you don't mind. I've only done light research about different schools' LRAP programs, but I plan on digging deeper soon and would appreciate any more info about NYU's offering.
pm'd you

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:46 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote: I do recommend living off campus and commuting though, it saves a lot of money, and I think a lot of your sanity as well.
Can you tell us more about this? Is it possible for current 0Ls to get decent off-campus housing w/o ties to NYC in time for 1L? How long is your commute, and how far do you think one can/should go? Are you straight out of UG or do you have a significant other/family, etc that you live with? Have you ever regretted it in terms of socializing with other 1Ls?

edit to add: Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just wondering if I should look into commuting or not - not sure if the costs outweigh the benefits, but on-campus housing seems SO expensive... :shock: Any more information you'd be willing to give us would really help!
Last edited by kazu on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:22 am

Renzo wrote:Happy to give non-crazy, non-anonymous advice about any prof's I'm familiar with, however, if you have questions.
I'm interested in Civ Pro's Miller and Torts' Sharkey as I heard they were the hardest courses in 1L.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:20 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
Renzo wrote:Happy to give non-crazy, non-anonymous advice about any prof's I'm familiar with, however, if you have questions.
I'm interested in Civ Pro's Miller and Torts' Sharkey as I heard they were the hardest courses in 1L.
I haven't had Sharkey, but my friends that did (either for Torts or advanced admin) loved her. Arthur Miller's a bit more mixed, and it'll depend on your personality. For most, he is a very effective teacher, and most people really like him. But, he has a tyrannical persona that he maintains in the classroom which can be off-putting for some.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 pm

tag

bmwhype2

New

Post by bmwhype2 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Lawyering

Why doesnt anyone talk about this course? Is it graded?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:48 pm

bmwhype2 wrote:Lawyering

It's pass/fail and, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. Just show up, do the bare minimum, and you'll be good.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 am

LjakW wrote:

It's pass/fail and, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. Just show up, do the bare minimum, and you'll be good.
That's funny cause everyone at the asw tried to make it seem like the lawyering program wa unique and beneficial and allowed you to work on practical things that employers would be impressed to hear about. I mean I know it'sall an act

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 am

thecilent wrote:
LjakW wrote:

That's funny cause everyone at the asw tried to make it seem like the lawyering program wa unique and beneficial and allowed you to work on practical things that employers would be impressed to hear about. I mean I know it'sall an act
So I'm a 2L and I'll stand up for the Lawyering problem a little. I do think there's merit to the view that one should focus as little time as possible into lawyering. However, I do thing that the various activities, from the interview to the mediation to the negotiation to the oral argument, do help develop skills that students need as summers or as clinic members.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:33 am

zanda wrote:
thecilent wrote:
LjakW wrote:

So I'm a 2L and I'll stand up for the Lawyering problem a little. I do think there's merit to the view that one should focus as little time as possible into lawyering. However, I do thing that the various activities, from the interview to the mediation to the negotiation to the oral argument, do help develop skills that students need as summers or as clinic members.
True I can feel that. I loved nyu and the ppl I met btw ESP the people in admissions.. there was one lady/girl Andrea (I think) who was running the whole thing kinda that I lovedd

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:14 am

Freudian slip calling the Lawyering Program the "Lawyering Problem." I guess I shouldn't post while intoxicated but it seems like you got the point. :P

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:27 am

I like the Lawyering program better than a more traditional LRW class, although I think it's most beneficial to people who don't have real, substantial workplace experience. If you've had to interact with customers/clients, or give presentations to co-workers, etc,, it's value is diminished.

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Why is Admin a requirement and Fed not during 1L?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:24 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:Why is Admin a requirement and Fed not during 1L?

What's "fed?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Renzo wrote:

What's "fed?"
Federal Courts

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Have any of you lived in the Sullivan Street building or know anything about living in a single there? I'm specifically wondering if it's easy for a 1L to get one of these and if it's a good idea to live there as a 1L in general. Also, how accessible is the law school and how complicated/expensive is it to get decent internet access? I'm a non-traditional student and would prefer to live alone if possible, and the singles on Sullivan Street look much bigger than those in D'Agostino.
Last edited by spaceman82 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
Renzo wrote:

What's "fed?"
Federal Courts
I don't think Federal Courts is required at any school. Admin, on the other hand, is. Also, The Administrative and Regulatory State includes a large portion on statutory interpretation.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:07 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
Renzo wrote:

What's "fed?"
Federal Courts
Admin is a requirement because government agencies are so central to contemporary US legal structures. Property and Con Law are the traditional 1L requirements that are bumped at NYU. Both are required eventually, and either can be taken as a 1L elective, but neither is required during 1L year. I've never heard of Fed Courts being a 1L requirement.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”