Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
onetimeonly95

New

Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Post by onetimeonly95 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Will it be a TTT?

baboon309

Bronze

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Post by baboon309 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:03 pm

No.

a TTTT

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Yeah I'm curious about this myself. The only public law school in the state. I could see the state really trying to push it and improve it in the years to come. But TTT seems likely.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Dartmouth Law will def be in the top 20 in my lifetime.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Dartmouth Law will def be in the top 20 in my lifetime.
Wwwhhaat? Top 20? What makes you this confident?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:03 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
I think he means Dartmouth the Ivy League school which doesn't have a law school as a joke.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:16 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
I think he means Dartmouth the Ivy League school which doesn't have a law school as a joke.
Ah, in that case, Princeton Law should crack the T14.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33 pm

I am so upset at this decision.

UMass-Dartmouth is a mediocre state school to begin with, and the law school they took over was unaccredited and just absolutely pathetic.

Massachusetts deserves a public law school, but does no good by putting forth a T4.

Plus they should have waited for it to be feasible to start a law school in Amherst where the actual UMass is.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

protip: any school that has explicitly justified its existence as a revenue-generator for the rest of the university system is probably not a good school.

"UMass Dartmouth chancellor Jean MacCormack had previously laid out plans that said the public law school would operate free of taxpayer dollars and eventually funnel millions into UMass Dartmouth and the state through expanded enrollment. Officials have estimated that the school would grow from 235 students to 559 by 2017."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/umass-tr ... aw-school/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm

soullesswonder wrote:protip: any school that has explicitly justified its existence as a revenue-generator for the rest of the university system is probably not a good school.

"UMass Dartmouth chancellor Jean MacCormack had previously laid out plans that said the public law school would operate free of taxpayer dollars and eventually funnel millions into UMass Dartmouth and the state through expanded enrollment. Officials have estimated that the school would grow from 235 students to 559 by 2017."

Lulz @ practicing law in Massachusetts.

DarkPhantom

Bronze

Post by DarkPhantom » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Seeing as this was one of the back up schools - probably better to just wait and re-apply than to attend this school?

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Not as high as Princettton Law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:12 pm

darknightbegins wrote:The only public law school in the state.
I can never understand why people think this matters. The public/private distinction doesn't really matter much in the law school context; if this school places worse than Northeastern, BC, and BU, and costs nearly the same (which ultimately it will), then there's no real advantage to it.

Yes, they're promising it'll be cheaper, but really, by how much? If it's $10K/yr cheaper you're still looking at $25-30K/yr in tuition and $20K/yr in COL expenses; you've ultimately got a debt load over $100K after three years anyway. That's far too much for public service, which is going to be where this school is trying to place people.

Public/private doesn't matter, and given the high minimum that tuition would have to be, saving money doesn't matter much either. Being public doesn't really matter at all from a practical standpoint. Given how tuition at the top "public" law schools has risen to match their private peers, it really doesn't matter anywhere.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Yet they continue to play this marketing game, and people are falling for it.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
I can never understand why people think this matters. The public/private distinction doesn't really matter much in the law school context; if this school places worse than Northeastern, BC, and BU, and costs nearly the same (which ultimately it will), then there's no real advantage to it.

Yes, they're promising it'll be cheaper, but really, by how much? If it's $10K/yr cheaper you're still looking at $25-30K/yr in tuition and $20K/yr in COL expenses; you've ultimately got a debt load over $100K after three years anyway. That's far too much for public service, which is going to be where this school is trying to place people.

Public/private doesn't matter, and given the high minimum that tuition would have to be, saving money doesn't matter much either. Being public doesn't really matter at all from a practical standpoint. Given how tuition at the top "public" law schools has risen to match their private peers, it really doesn't matter anywhere.
People mistakenly assume that publics are cheaper and more accessible to applicants with weaker numbers.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:44 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Eh, it matters at lower-ranked publics who actually keep their tuition low (Texas Tech, etc.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MVPson

New

Post by MVPson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

This flame, right?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 pm

MVPson wrote:This flame, right?
i hope so

davidtothej05

New

Post by davidtothej05 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Its kinda silly anyways, Mass residents as is can get a deep discount at both Maine and Conn, both very affordable "state" schools.

And Roger Williams is like, a mile away

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm

soullesswonder wrote:protip: any school that has explicitly justified its existence as a revenue-generator for the rest of the university system is probably not a good school.

I'm amazed that university officials actually branded the school this way. Are they aware that, for it to generate revenue, law students have to want to attend? Then again, I guess if the choice is to offend fiscal hawks criticizing the law school's opening, or clueless law students that will continue to apply in record numbers even if you promise to build the school out of human excrement, it's probably better to offend the latter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Good - MA needs more law schools. Only 75% of our starbucks baristas have JDs.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

MrKappus wrote:clueless law students... will continue to apply in record numbers even if you promise to build the school out of human excrement....

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 pm

just what we need

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:17 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Good - MA needs more law schools. Only 75% of our starbucks baristas have JDs.
lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”