FIU Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
FKASunny

Gold

Re: FIU Class of 2017

Post by FKASunny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Those stipulations are more generous than in the past. If I recall correctly, you had to maintain a 3.2, which many people thought was around top third. Also, unless you're able to live with parents, you need to factor in cost of living, which at FIU will be just as much as, if not more than, what you pay in tuition.

This is a great calculator to find out the end number of all your costs minus scholarships.

With a $5k/year scholarship at FIU, unless you're living for free with family, your indebtedness is going to be more than $100k after three years. Sure, FIU is cheap, but make sure you add up all the costs, not just tuition, before making your decision.

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:17 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:Those stipulations are more generous than in the past. If I recall correctly, you had to maintain a 3.2, which many people thought was around top third. Also, unless you're able to live with parents, you need to factor in cost of living, which at FIU will be just as much as, if not more than, what you pay in tuition.

This is a great calculator to find out the end number of all your costs minus scholarships.

With a $5k/year scholarship at FIU, unless you're living for free with family, your indebtedness is going to be more than $100k after three years. Sure, FIU is cheap, but make sure you add up all the costs, not just tuition, before making your decision.
After receiving my financial aid package from FIU, my grants/scholarships should total to $10k/yr - leaving my tuition around $11k/yr. I am living with parents nearby both schools, so my living expenses will be covered. Under those circumstances, which would you lean towards?

thesecret2013

New

Post by thesecret2013 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:36 am

r5hbs34

New

Post by r5hbs34 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi, guys! I'm posting here because I'll probably get some hate on the UF Law thread for what I am about to say. :P

I was given an extension (April 15) to submit my Seat Deposit to FIU Law.

I've been accepted to both FIU and UF. For me, the cost of attending either would be almost identical. I will be graduating from UF next month as an undergraduate. It's been a great 4 years and I am already very familiar with the law school, it's stats, it's sudden drop in the rankings (not that that matters much to me), it's far-reaching network capabilities, etc. I bleed orange and blue.

However, I absolutely dread the idea of staying in Gainesville for three more arduous years. As you all might expect, I am a south Florida native and it has always been my plan to practice law in that area. (If this is of any relevance, I did not apply to FSU and I was accepted to UM but it is too expensive for me.) I have completed internships with two law firms in Miami and already have some solid connections.

I attended the ASD at FIU last month and was very much impressed with how far the school has come in such a short amount of time. Dean Acosta was supposed to come to Gainesville this Friday but his trip was canceled. I wrote him an email with some of the questions I had and I was stunned that he called me the very next morning to chat. After having spoken to current FIU Law students and after speaking to the Dean, I am still strongly leaning towards FIU Law.

I have also spoken to several attorneys and current UF law students. They all tell me the same thing: study where you feel like you will be most comfortable. They tell me to not forget that UF has a large network in Miami, but that attending FIU will allow me to work in Miami while attending law school. Several of the law students also told me that if I wanted BigLaw (which, as of now, is not something I want to do) that it would be better to attend UF. However, I am a strong believer that my employment prospects are a direct function of my work and success (at either law school). Anyway, I will still be going to UF's ASD next Friday to check out the law school (again).

Any thoughts? Does anyone think I'm crazy for not immediately choosing UF over FIU? Thanks in advance.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:13 pm

r5hbs34 wrote:Hi, guys! I'm posting here because I'll probably get some hate on the UF Law thread for what I am about to say. :P

I've been accepted to both FIU and UF. For me, the cost of attending either would be almost identical. I will be graduating from UF next month as an undergraduate. It's been a great 4 years and I am already very familiar with the law school, it's stats, it's sudden drop in the rankings (not that that matters much to me), it's far-reaching network capabilities, etc. I bleed orange and blue.

However, I absolutely dread the idea of staying in Gainesville for three more arduous years. As you all might expect, I am a south Florida native and it has always been my plan to practice law in that area. (If this is of any relevance, I did not apply to FSU and I was accepted to UM but it is too expensive for me.) I have completed internships with two law firms in Miami and already have some solid connections.

I attended the ASD at FIU last month and was very much impressed with how far the school has come in such a short amount of time. Dean Acosta was supposed to come to Gainesville this Friday but his trip was canceled. I wrote him an email with some of the questions I had and I was stunned that he called me the very next morning to chat. After having spoken to current FIU Law students and after speaking to the Dean, I am still strongly leaning towards FIU Law.

I have also spoken to several attorneys and current UF law students. They all tell me the same thing: study where you feel like you will be most comfortable. They tell me to not forget that UF has a large network in Miami, but that attending FIU will allow me to work in Miami while attending law school. Several of the law students also told me that if I wanted BigLaw (which, as of now, is not something I want to do) that it would be better to attend UF. However, I am a strong believer that my employment prospects are a direct function of my work and success (at either law school). Anyway, I will still be going to UF's ASD next Friday to check out the law school (again).

Any thoughts? Does anyone think I'm crazy for not immediately choosing UF over FIU? Thanks in advance.
If costs are equal, then yes, you're absolutely crazy for choosing FIU over UF. Going to the 5th most prestigious and wonderful law school in a state with an already wildly over-saturated legal market is a bad idea.

It sounds like the determining factor in your decision is that you're eager to get back to Miami. But is it really worth working small law and making 35k, in a city with a high COL, for the rest of your life simply because you couldn't stand to spend three more years in Gainesville? If so then you deserve the outcome.

Every school can make a half-decent argument for itself, and FIU has indeed come a long way. But they are still light-years behind UM, much less FSU and even further less UF. A call from the Dean is a nice touch, but all of these trivial things should in no way, shape, or form influence your decision when said decision will dictate the rest of your career, and life. When you're struggling to make your loan and/or mortgage payments the Dean isn't going to cut you a check.

Good luck, whatever you choose, but shooting yourself in the foot before you even start law school is typically not a good idea.

Sounds like you know what the right choice is, but are looking for support to make the wrong one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm

For the record, I am not trying to slam FIU. I know a lot of great people who went to FIU. If your goals are reasonable it is a fine place to go to school.

But choosing FIU over UF, all things being equal, is just not an intelligent decision barring some kind of unique circumstance.

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 pm

I agree with the above poster.

Considering FIU over UM is something at least defensible, in that, FIU is much cheaper than UM. However, trying to defend picking FIU over UF is just not going to happen. I'm between FIU, FSU and UM, and at this point my choices have been narrowed down to FSU & UM. Granted, FIU really and truly impressed me with the personal attention - dean Acosta sat down for breakfast & lunch with me during ASD, however these are trivial matters that will not benefit your legal career in any way.

It is possible that in the future FIU would be a defensible choice over UF, but that is not today.

heatfan292

New

Post by heatfan292 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Nucky wrote:
r5hbs34 wrote:Hi, guys! I'm posting here because I'll probably get some hate on the UF Law thread for what I am about to say. :P

If costs are equal, then yes, you're absolutely crazy for choosing FIU over UF. Going to the 5th most prestigious and wonderful law school in a state with an already wildly over-saturated legal market is a bad idea.

It sounds like the determining factor in your decision is that you're eager to get back to Miami. But is it really worth working small law and making 35k, in a city with a high COL, for the rest of your life simply because you couldn't stand to spend three more years in Gainesville? If so then you deserve the outcome.

Every school can make a half-decent argument for itself, and FIU has indeed come a long way. But they are still light-years behind UM, much less FSU and even further less UF. A call from the Dean is a nice touch, but all of these trivial things should in no way, shape, or form influence your decision when said decision will dictate the rest of your career, and life. When you're struggling to make your loan and/or mortgage payments the Dean isn't going to cut you a check.

Good luck, whatever you choose, but shooting yourself in the foot before you even start law school is typically not a good idea.

Sounds like you know what the right choice is, but are looking for support to make the wrong one.

I am trying to decide between FSU Miami and FIU. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and want to practice there. Miami and FSU have not given me money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. What is your opinion on what I should do?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 pm

heatfan292 wrote: I am trying to decide between FSU Miami and FIU. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and want to practice there. Miami and FSU have not given me money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. What is your opinion on what I should do?
It really depends on what your career goals are. If you want to be a hot-shot biglaw attorney in Miami it is extraordinarily unlikely you'll be able to accomplish that from FIU. Only around 3% of FIU grads work for a firm with over 100 attorneys or get federal clerkships. The other 97% are mostly doing small law(if they are employed at all). So you have to be comfortable with that outcome if you go to FIU.

FSU is considered the "go-to" school in FL for public or government work, whereas UF is considered the "go to" school in FL for private/firm work. Both UF and FSU will get you back to South Florida.

I realize you may not want to hear it, and I know it is a huge pain in the ass, but re-taking is almost certainly TCR. Try to negotiate with FSU and UM using your FIU scholarship, and other scholarships. If you retake in June you can also use your new score to try and get money from UM and FSU. But it is probably best that you sit out a cycle.

If you refuse to re-take and/or sit-out, I go FSU. $45k over the course of your career is not a huge amount, and you'd get in-state at FSU, which is still too expensive in my opinion, but it beats the alternatives and you'd have options coming out if you perform well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heatfan292

New

Post by heatfan292 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Nucky wrote:
heatfan292 wrote: I am trying to decide between FSU Miami and FIU. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and want to practice there. Miami and FSU have not given me money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. What is your opinion on what I should do?
It really depends on what your career goals are. If you want to be a hot-shot biglaw attorney in Miami it is extraordinarily unlikely you'll be able to accomplish that from FIU. Only around 3% of FIU grads work for a firm with over 100 attorneys or get federal clerkships. The other 97% are mostly doing small law(if they are employed at all). So you have to be comfortable with that outcome if you go to FIU.

FSU is considered the "go-to" school in FL for public or government work, whereas UF is considered the "go to" school in FL for private/firm work. Both UF and FSU will get you back to South Florida.

I realize you may not want to hear it, and I know it is a huge pain in the ass, but re-taking is almost certainly TCR. Try to negotiate with FSU and UM using your FIU scholarship, and other scholarships. If you Good luck! Follow your dreams! in June you can also use your new score to try and get money from UM and FSU. But it is probably best that you sit out a cycle.

If you refuse to re-take and/or sit-out, I go FSU. $45k over the course of your career is not a huge amount, and you'd get in-state at FSU, which is still too expensive in my opinion, but it beats the alternatives and you'd have options coming out if you perform well.
I have already taken the test 3 times so that is not an option lol

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:34 pm

heatfan292 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

I realize you may not want to hear it, and I know it is a huge pain in the ass, but re-taking is almost certainly TCR. Try to negotiate with FSU and UM using your FIU scholarship, and other scholarships. If you Good luck! Follow your dreams! in June you can also use your new score to try and get money from UM and FSU. But it is probably best that you sit out a cycle.

I'm headed to UF. Head to FSU and I will see you after we beat you in November :wink:

heatfan292

New

Post by heatfan292 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Nucky wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

I'm headed to UF. Head to FSU and I will see you after we beat you in November :wink:
Haha I didn't even apply to UF

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:48 am

heatfan292 wrote: Haha I didn't even apply to UF
Well, that was dumb.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Got a call from the dean of admissions today. Broke my heart to tell her I was going to have to decline.

It's like that ugly girl that dated you when you were a fat slob but loved you anyway. Now, you've lost weight, got fashion sense and swag... you're getting attention from the hot girls, but the ugly girl that loved you when you were no one still holds a place in your heart.

*sigh* I love you FIU... I will always keep you in my heart. You were my first. But we're in different places now. I am who I am today, in part because of you. But being who we are today, we'd never work out. Here's looking at you kid!

heatfan292

New

Post by heatfan292 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Nucky wrote:
heatfan292 wrote: Haha I didn't even apply to UF
Well, that was dumb.

no interest in going there lol. i know many uf undergrads go go to fsu for law school because its the better school

heatfan292

New

Post by heatfan292 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Agentsoapbox wrote:Got a call from the dean of admissions today. Broke my heart to tell her I was going to have to decline.

It's like that ugly girl that dated you when you were a fat slob but loved you anyway. Now, you've lost weight, got fashion sense and swag... you're getting attention from the hot girls, but the ugly girl that loved you when you were no one still holds a place in your heart.

*sigh* I love you FIU... I will always keep you in my heart. You were my first. But we're in different places now. I am who I am today, in part because of you. But being who we are today, we'd never work out. Here's looking at you kid!
The dean is a male...

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:27 pm

correction: Dean for students, Michelle Mason. Still, broke my heart to have to withdraw

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesecret2013

New

Post by thesecret2013 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:40 am

Let's hear from people who will actually be in the class of 2017. Where are you? Don't be shy.

holysheed

New

Post by holysheed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am

thesecret2013 wrote:Let's hear from people who will actually be in the class of 2017. Where are you? Don't be shy.
Present.

heatfan292

New

Post by heatfan292 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:33 am

thesecret2013 wrote:Let's hear from people who will actually be in the class of 2017. Where are you? Don't be shy.
Still trying to decide between FSU and FIU

CCM4

New

Post by CCM4 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone was told their application was still on review? I did and I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity! Afraid I didn't get in...Getting into better schools but this is the one I want. Home town, good school, good bar passage, and my undergrad. Plus, tuition! So cheap!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

holysheed

New

Post by holysheed » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:27 pm

CCM4 wrote:Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone was told their application was still on review? I did and I have been waiting for what feels like an eternity! Afraid I didn't get in...Getting into better schools but this is the one I want. Home town, good school, good bar passage, and my undergrad. Plus, tuition! So cheap!
Numbers? When did you apply?

holysheed

New

Post by holysheed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Graduating class of 2013 employment numbers are up at http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/.

thesecret2013

New

Post by thesecret2013 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:24 am

holysheed wrote:Graduating class of 2013 employment numbers are up at http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/.
Thanks for posting this!

Spaniard

New

Post by Spaniard » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:30 pm

My status was updated as "Decision Rendered, Letter Mailed" on 3/31, less than a week after turning in my application. I was expecting some sort of definitive answer but once I received and read the letter all it basically said was that my file was going to be held for "further review."

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? Is this a waitlist? Whats going on here?

I plan on calling tomorrow since nothing on ASO has changed in about two weeks and I'm starting to think my file has simply been tossed to the back burner.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”