Duke Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
27%
Kind of freaked out.
7%
Freaked out...
13%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
40%
My dad's a named partner, so...
13%

Total votes: 15

Merylian

Silver

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Post by Merylian » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to note that Pinnacle is not necessarily outdated. Plenty of 'em have been updated, and are really nice. (They're not paying me to say this, though I did win a $10 Starbucks gift card from them once for sharing their page on facebook :lol: ). It is pretty popular among law students.

Also, you should add food to to the reasons to come here. Durham is a big foodie town...make sure you visit Q-Shack when you visit for ASW, it's the best barbeque around.

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to sign up for that need-based scholarship thing? I remember the link, just curious how long it'll take for when I tell my parents they have to fill something out.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:Anyone have any idea how long it takes to sign up for that need-based scholarship thing? I remember the link, just curious how long it'll take for when I tell my parents they have to fill something out.
If I recall correctly, there is a sample form that you can view right now if you follow that link. You can see all the questions that they will ask you and/or your parents/spouse to fill out. It covers a lot of the same material as the FASFA (if I am remembering correctly), so if you've already been gathering that information, it should go fairly smoothly.

ETA: Yep, here it is http://www.needaccess.org/Students/Appl ... heets.aspx
Edit 2: And if I completely misunderstood your question, then the application goes active on January 1st.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:48 am

Does anyone know if there's a set date by which we have to reply back to the Mordecai email? I'm almost certainly interviewing, I just don't know which date yet - I start a new job in January and I want to check with the new workplace to see which might be the best day to take off. I wouldn't want to leave in the middle or a scheduled large project or something :?

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:15 pm

After 10 days, I'm getting so anxious to receive the mailed package. I blame Christmas, and in conjunction with the holidays being a decision lull, it might result in a news article where a guy dresses up in a misappropriated Tick blue Grinch costume and raids FedEx/UPS/USPS vehicles. Major/minor C&F issue?

Edit: Well, speak of the blue devil, it arrived today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:40 am

I'm visiting the Durham area and campus today for the first time, just to walk around a bit and get a feel for it- I've heard its a nice area so I'm pretty excited!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:38 pm

OliveBC wrote:I'm visiting the Durham area and campus today for the first time, just to walk around a bit and get a feel for it- I've heard its a nice area so I'm pretty excited!
Post pics!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Serett wrote:After 10 days, I'm getting so anxious to receive the mailed package. I blame Christmas, and in conjunction with the holidays being a decision lull, it might result in a news article where a guy dresses up in a misappropriated Tick blue Grinch costume and raids FedEx/UPS/USPS vehicles. Major/minor C&F issue?

Was it all that you dreamed it would be? :)

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:38 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Serett wrote:After 10 days, I'm getting so anxious to receive the mailed package. I blame Christmas, and in conjunction with the holidays being a decision lull, it might result in a news article where a guy dresses up in a misappropriated Tick blue Grinch costume and raids FedEx/UPS/USPS vehicles. Major/minor C&F issue?

Was it all that you dreamed it would be? :)
Well, it kept me satisfied for a day or so. I'll take it 8)

Now the pressure's off Duke, and I can obsess about everywhere else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JMKeynes

New

Post by JMKeynes » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 am

Has anyone tried to fill out the Need Access form today? I wasn't able to choose the 2014-2015 academic year. The only option I had was 2013-2014. Tried calling the number on the site but, as expected, they're closed today. The e-mail from Duke's financial aid office said we should be able to access/complete starting today.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:06 pm

JMKeynes wrote:Has anyone tried to fill out the Need Access form today? I wasn't able to choose the 2014-2015 academic year. The only option I had was 2013-2014. Tried calling the number on the site but, as expected, they're closed today. The e-mail from Duke's financial aid office said we should be able to access/complete starting today.
I just attempted to start and am experiencing the same issue. While we're technically supposed to have access to the form today, my assumption is that because the office that administers the site is off today, they won't actually post the 2014-2015 form until they return from the holiday. Either that, or maybe there's a Need Access to Need Access site hiding somewhere.

hayman

New

Post by hayman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:45 am

Dont you have to wait until youve filed your taxes to fill out need access? Is everyone already filling out need access?

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:49 am

hayman wrote:Dont you have to wait until youve filed your taxes to fill out need access? Is everyone already filling out need access?
I'm not sure because I didn't go through it too far yet, but it does ask about the information from which you're providing the information (e.g. estimated tax forms, completed tax form, etc.). I'm not sure if it accepts information from any source, or if it gives a preliminary result but needs to be updated once taxes are completed, or if it simply isn't worth trying to do without completed taxes. I just filled out some very basic information and am waiting on taxes and filliing out the FAFSA before I go on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JMKeynes

New

Post by JMKeynes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Serett wrote:
hayman wrote:Dont you have to wait until youve filed your taxes to fill out need access? Is everyone already filling out need access?
I'm not sure because I didn't go through it too far yet, but it does ask about the information from which you're providing the information (e.g. estimated tax forms, completed tax form, etc.). I'm not sure if it accepts information from any source, or if it gives a preliminary result but needs to be updated once taxes are completed, or if it simply isn't worth trying to do without completed taxes. I just filled out some very basic information and am waiting on taxes and filliing out the FAFSA before I go on.
You can estimate for 2013 and 2014 then re-file once your taxes are completed.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:52 pm

JMKeynes wrote:
Serett wrote:
You can estimate for 2013 and 2014 then re-file once your taxes are completed.
I work at a job where the hours vary a lot, so I don't get a consistent monthly wage. Is there any reason to try going back through a years worth of paystubs to come up with an estimate, or should I just wait until my employer sends out W2s in late January? That won't be "late" for Duke aid, will it?

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Dumb question: does anybody know anything about an admitted students website?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:49 pm

UserNameHere wrote:Dumb question: does anybody know anything about an admitted students website?
http://law.duke.edu/welcome/home/

Password was sent in the email where they admitted you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:16 pm

midwest17 wrote:
UserNameHere wrote:Dumb question: does anybody know anything about an admitted students website?
http://law.duke.edu/welcome/home/

Password was sent in the email where they admitted you.
Glad I went through every email other than the admission email. Well, I'm gonna do well in law school! :shock:

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Has anyone else sent in the scholarship application form yet and received a confirmation email?

I waited until finishing my FAFSA and Need Access yesterday to send it in, but am worried that I have not received any response email from the financial aid office yet.

Thanks!

Edit: I received a confirmation email pretty soon after posting this

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Do you guys think there is a point in filling out the Need Access/FAFSA if you are sure you won't get any need based aid?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm

Gary wrote:Do you guys think there is a point in filling out the Need Access/FAFSA if you are sure you won't get any need based aid?
I mean, it's relatively little effort (once you do your tax returns). Even if there's basically no chance, it's probably still worth it.

And I think there are other schools that require them no matter what, so...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:22 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Gary wrote:Do you guys think there is a point in filling out the Need Access/FAFSA if you are sure you won't get any need based aid?
I mean, it's relatively little effort (once you do your tax returns). Even if there's basically no chance, it's probably still worth it.

And I think there are other schools that require them no matter what, so...
Also, even if you aren't getting need-based aid, you might qualify for subsidized loans, which you need FAFSA for.

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Any chance if duke would help cover the travel cost for admitted students to visit the campus?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Just submitted NA and the App.

I used estimates for 2013 taxes, as did my parents. Does anyone know what the process is for updating once we have our actual returns? Is it through Need Access or do we just send copies to the school?

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Just submitted NA and the App.

I used estimates for 2013 taxes, as did my parents. Does anyone know what the process is for updating once we have our actual returns? Is it through Need Access or do we just send copies to the school?
I vaguely recall the NA site saying in the directions that you can update that once you've filed. I think it works the same way as LSAC does with transcripts and it will automatically update all your schools once you've updated with your actual taxes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”