Duke Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
27%
Kind of freaked out.
7%
Freaked out...
13%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
40%
My dad's a named partner, so...
13%

Total votes: 15

lawschool22

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:39 am

carolinainmymind wrote:Mordecai invite this morning! Also checking in I suppose. If I were to receive the Mordecai, then I would most likely be attending Duke next year regardless of other acceptances.

Does anyone have any concept on the # of Mordecai invites? I see on the website that 4-8 students receive it, I suppose that's annually.
Congrats! What are your numbers if you don't mind sharing? (You can simplify them if you want)

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:51 am

lawschool22 wrote:
carolinainmymind wrote:Mordecai invite this morning! Also checking in I suppose. If I were to receive the Mordecai, then I would most likely be attending Duke next year regardless of other acceptances.

Does anyone have any concept on the # of Mordecai invites? I see on the website that 4-8 students receive it, I suppose that's annually.
Congrats! What are your numbers if you don't mind sharing? (You can simplify them if you want)
173ish, 3.9ish. I was PT, received decision early October.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 am

carolinainmymind wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Have you filled out the financial aid form yet?

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 am

midwest17 wrote:
carolinainmymind wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Have you filled out the financial aid form yet?
Nope, was waiting to submit for need-based.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:28 am

I suppose this is the more appropriate place to post about the Mordecai. I'd also be interested in any stats on the number of invites if anyone has them

My stats and timeline are similar to carolinainmymind's

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nooblarzlarz

Bronze

Post by Nooblarzlarz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:45 am

deleted
Last edited by Nooblarzlarz on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:58 am

When I get a break from work I'm going to add a Mordecai invite column to the spreadsheet. Maybe we can glean some data from that.

Nooblarzlarz

Bronze

Post by Nooblarzlarz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 pm

lastsamurai wrote:I suppose this is the more appropriate place to post about the Mordecai. I'd also be interested in any stats on the number of invites if anyone has them

My stats and timeline are similar to carolinainmymind's
Looked in the 2016 admit thread, didn't find much of anything mentioned.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Mordecai ema..................oh wait, it's an email about Duke's winter session

:twisted:

On that note, congrats to those who actually received Mordecai emails!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:59 pm

I can finally officially join this group. :D

I'll definitely be going to ASW and there's a big possibility I'll be joining you guys in the fall.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:59 am

Mordecai invite!! :shock: wasn't expecting it at all, what a great surprise!! :D

Please feel free to PM if you're curious about stats.

Morgan2012

New

Post by Morgan2012 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Workingtitle wrote:So has anyone gotten an invite to interview for the Mordecai?

Got the invite yesterday morning!

mimi101

New

Post by mimi101 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 am

Checking in :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:26 pm

The more I think about Duke's low COL, weather, ease of finding housing, and just overall quality of life, the more attractive it is becoming to me...

JMKeynes

New

Post by JMKeynes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:04 pm

lawschool22 wrote:The more I think about Duke's low COL, weather, ease of finding housing, and just overall quality of life, the more attractive it is becoming to me...
Do it. Then take classes with me and make me magical spreadsheets.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:08 pm

JMKeynes wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:The more I think about Duke's low COL, weather, ease of finding housing, and just overall quality of life, the more attractive it is becoming to me...
Do it. Then take classes with me and make me magical spreadsheets.
Haha not sure how useful my spreadsheet skills will be in law school, but if I do end up at Duke I would be happy to make whatever spreadsheet you need lol.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Seconded, although that feeling is receiving a significant boost on the basis that it's the only T14 school from which I've heard back thus far :lol:

I need to find something that can hold my attention until I get to start comparing aid offers, but Pokemon isn't proving addictive enough, while developing a heroin addiction may be effective but would likely bode ill for law school success.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:46 am

Hey all...

REALLY leaning towards Duke out of my acceptances so far. I am curious if anyone else is set on doing PI post-graduation. Duke's LRAP seems great, but slightly more vague and less generous when compared to Georgetown's, for example. Maybe someone can shed some light on the LRAP specifics. It worries me that the language used on the website hints at a lack of funding for all, and thus splits eligible employment into two sectors. How terrible would it be to get a great (but low paying) Gov job that falls in the second category and then not get any LRAP benefits! I guess there is still PAYE.

Ok but enough of this "what if I end up poor and buried in debt" talk.

Things I love about Duke (in no such order):

1. Beautiful all around
2. Really unique and cool clinics, professors, journals etc. etc. etc.
3. Alaska (seriously, it's cool)
4. Weather
5. All the good things about the South
6. Job placement in NY, CA and DC (plus all of that while spending three years in a much smaller and less expensive environment)
7. Small class size
8. Last but definitely not least: Basketball

Please join in if you love something I didn't mention about Duke Law!

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 am

^ Close to Raleigh

I'm from NC, my cousin is the NC State Athletic departments dentist (Right down the road). Maybe I should have payed attention in science :? :P .

Enjoy the Hurricane games. Also, you may need to go over to UNC to find attractive girls.

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Morgan2012 wrote:
Workingtitle wrote:So has anyone gotten an invite to interview for the Mordecai?

Got the invite yesterday morning!
Congratulations :) Good luck!

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Duke is definitely in my top 3 or 4 for all the reasons you named. I also know some attorneys in the area I live who work with Duke law grads, and they tell me Duke produces very good attorneys.

Plus the campus reminds me of Hogwarts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dracarys

New

Post by Dracarys » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 pm

:D :D
Last edited by Dracarys on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Dracarys wrote:Long time lurker here. I know most people are not worried about housing at this point but I got in via ED about 20 days ago so it is all I’ve been researching this whole time. (167, >3.8. Non– PT. Complete Nov 1)

Renting a random house is just out of question for me. Durham doesn’t have the best crime rate and as a woman, living in a safe community is a must. It would actually be nice to live in a place with a lot of grad students. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I gathered most 1Ls live at Addington Farms, Alexan Garrett, Pinnacle Ridge, The Lofts and Trinity Commons.

The Lofts and Trinity Commons – Both seem overpriced and overrated, and most students who live there are the ones who do not have a car and need to be really close to school. Another place to avoid is Belmont since it is just full of undergrads.

Addington Farms – Apparently changed its management team this year and it is now called Century Trinity Estates Apartments. The new team has really BAD reviews on apartmentratings.com and someone on the student survey complained back in 2009 about security in general (http://econ.duke.edu/uploads/assets/200 ... Survey.pdf).

Pinnacle Ridge – I think this is the most popular place among 1Ls and although some people say its old and a little outdated, it has the best reviews of them all. I’m aware that it could be their own management team trying to boost their reputation but the fact that almost no one is going online to complain about it is a positive sign to me.

Alexan Garrett – Second most popular choice among 1Ls. It’s news and a bit more expensive than Pinnacle but it’s totally doable if you are living with a roommate (about $600, $700 each).

Another place is Alexan Place at South Square – It’s more popular with Fuqua and Med students but it seems very nice. I like it.

Also, I was reading the threads from previous years and someone mentioned that it is very hard to sublet. As 2Ls, we are coming back only at the end of August so paying rent for almost 4 months while away is insane. The best thing to do is probably doing a 9-month lease and renting a storage unit during the summer. Any other suggestions?

I was between Pinnacle and Alexan Garrett but Alexan has my vote. Pinnacle charges different prices for a 9 and a 12-month lease. For instance, 1 bed apts start at $790 for 12 months but $975 for 9 months. Alexan Garret charges the same for both starting at $940. So the 9-month lease is going to end up being around the same for both with Alexan being newer and nicer! That said, I will probably try to get a roommate. :)
Downtown Durham is really great. If you're interested in having lots of stuff within walking distance, you should check out the West Village Apartments.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Dracarys wrote:Long time lurker here. I know most people are not worried about housing at this point but I got in via ED about 20 days ago so it is all I’ve been researching this whole time. (167, >3.8. Non– PT. Complete Nov 1)

Renting a random house is just out of question for me. Durham doesn’t have the best crime rate and as a woman, living in a safe community is a must. It would actually be nice to live in a place with a lot of grad students. Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I gathered most 1Ls live at Addington Farms, Alexan Garrett, Pinnacle Ridge, The Lofts and Trinity Commons.

The Lofts and Trinity Commons – Both seem overpriced and overrated, and most students who live there are the ones who do not have a car and need to be really close to school. Another place to avoid is Belmont since it is just full of undergrads.

Addington Farms – Apparently changed its management team this year and it is now called Century Trinity Estates Apartments. The new team has really BAD reviews on apartmentratings.com and someone on the student survey complained back in 2009 about security in general (http://econ.duke.edu/uploads/assets/200 ... Survey.pdf).

Pinnacle Ridge – I think this is the most popular place among 1Ls and although some people say its old and a little outdated, it has the best reviews of them all. I’m aware that it could be their own management team trying to boost their reputation but the fact that almost no one is going online to complain about it is a positive sign to me.

Alexan Garrett – Second most popular choice among 1Ls. It’s news and a bit more expensive than Pinnacle but it’s totally doable if you are living with a roommate (about $600, $700 each).

Another place is Alexan Place at South Square – It’s more popular with Fuqua and Med students but it seems very nice. I like it.

Also, I was reading the threads from previous years and someone mentioned that it is very hard to sublet. As 2Ls, we are coming back only at the end of August so paying rent for almost 4 months while away is insane. The best thing to do is probably doing a 9-month lease and renting a storage unit during the summer. Any other suggestions?

I was between Pinnacle and Alexan Garrett but Alexan has my vote. Pinnacle charges different prices for a 9 and a 12-month lease. For instance, 1 bed apts start at $790 for 12 months but $975 for 9 months. Alexan Garret charges the same for both starting at $940. So the 9-month lease is going to end up being around the same for both with Alexan being newer and nicer! That said, I will probably try to get a roommate. :)
Heights at LaSalle is where you want to live. Less pretentious than Lofts/Trinity and there are tons of law/grad students there. I think it's about $1400 for a 2/bd...can't beat the location and they're relatively new.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Checking in! Got in a while ago, but I'm rather new to the forum world in these here interwebs (I also just thought it was a series of tubes).

Been a life long Duke basketball fan, but that's, unfortunately, not actually a legitimate basis on which to choose a law school. Soooooooo anything I should be saying or doing around here? Any insight on what I should be looking for in comparing law schools (and I wouldn't blame you if you suggested criteria that favored Duke).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”