UNC Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
sunnyd101

New

Re: UNC Class of 2017

Post by sunnyd101 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:45 am

apples89 wrote:
sunnyd101 wrote:There is a waitlist for housing already? I wasn't planning on securing housing for a few more weeks. I was looking at Meadowmont and Southern Village specifically.
Same here, looking at meadowmont if they have W/D in them, or at least connections so i could hook up a rented set...why do these places not include them?? Every apartment near other major college campuses do. Also heard that the bus only runs like once every 45 mins to this place so you better not miss it.
lsatnoob wrote:So once we have paid both seat deposits what is the process of getting added to this mysterious Facebook group?
you send the admins of the page a request for joining.
I know there is a laundry center in Meadowmont. It looks like the apartments at least have a W/D connection. The apartments in Southern Village have a W/D connection. How do you go about renting a set?

Also, the FB group is under Carolina Law Class of 2017.

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:23 pm

sunnyd101 wrote:
apples89 wrote:
sunnyd101 wrote:There is a waitlist for housing already? I wasn't planning on securing housing for a few more weeks. I was looking at Meadowmont and Southern Village specifically.
Same here, looking at meadowmont if they have W/D in them, or at least connections so i could hook up a rented set...why do these places not include them?? Every apartment near other major college campuses do. Also heard that the bus only runs like once every 45 mins to this place so you better not miss it.
lsatnoob wrote:So once we have paid both seat deposits what is the process of getting added to this mysterious Facebook group?
I know there is a laundry center in Meadowmont. It looks like the apartments at least have a W/D connection. The apartments in Southern Village have a W/D connection. How do you go about renting a set?

im sure a lot of places can rent you a set.

i probably cant come up again until late june or july. i hope theres rooms left for me.

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Thu May 15, 2014 1:39 pm

apples89 wrote:
sunnyd101 wrote:
apples89 wrote:

im sure a lot of places can rent you a set.

i probably cant come up again until late june or july. i hope theres rooms left for me.
You can always do things virtually. I'm on the other side of the country, and got my apt. set up from here using email, phone, etc.

msk0331

New

Post by msk0331 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:35 am

Luxury downtown condo at Rosemary Village available for rent...

http://www.chapelhillrent.com/nc/chapel ... ry-village

msk0331

New

Post by msk0331 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:43 pm

luxury downtown condo for rent - Rosemary Village.

http://www.chapelhillrent.com/nc/chapel ... ry-village

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FoxInSocks

New

Post by FoxInSocks » Sat May 24, 2014 12:37 pm

This may be a dumb question - but when do we begin the process of signing up for classes?

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Sun May 25, 2014 12:13 pm

FoxInSocks wrote:This may be a dumb question - but when do we begin the process of signing up for classes?
I was wondering the same thing :D

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Sun May 25, 2014 12:34 pm

UNC grad here. You don't sign up for classes until 2L. All 1L classes are assigned. You won't get your schedule until shortly before the semester starts. If I recall correctly we got ours very close to the start of classes which left some scrambling to get books in time.

FoxInSocks

New

Post by FoxInSocks » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:34 pm

skw wrote:UNC grad here. You don't sign up for classes until 2L. All 1L classes are assigned. You won't get your schedule until shortly before the semester starts. If I recall correctly we got ours very close to the start of classes which left some scrambling to get books in time.
Well thanks for the heads up! Very good to know. Any books off the top of your head we might be able to go ahead and order?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:03 pm

FoxInSocks wrote:
skw wrote:UNC grad here. You don't sign up for classes until 2L. All 1L classes are assigned. You won't get your schedule until shortly before the semester starts. If I recall correctly we got ours very close to the start of classes which left some scrambling to get books in time.
Well thanks for the heads up! Very good to know. Any books off the top of your head we might be able to go ahead and order?
Nope, sorry. Books vary by prof, so until you know your professors you won't know which case books you'll need. As to supplements, wait to see if your prof recommends one. If not, try them out in the library or the Writing Center to see what works for you before investing in them. If you decide to buy supps, buy used on Amazon.

And IMO the UNC bookstore is the worst experience I ever had the entire time at Carolina. It is a disorganized madhouse with a line out the door. Get student prime from Amazon and buy books there too:-)

fordpaul

New

Post by fordpaul » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:04 am

Looking at 2BR apartments at Autumn Woods, The Pointe and Camden Governors Village.

Any thoughts? I won't be able to get down there and I would really like to apply and set something up ASAP.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:59 pm

In off the waitlist, not committed, but looking at housing. Anyone hear about the LUX at Central Park?

A bit pricey for the 1-bedroom, around $900, but it's so close to East Franklin and 30 mins walk from the law school. I know it doesn't open until this summer, however, so is it going to be packed with undergrads or are any law students looking at?

Anyways, feedback please!!

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Yazzzay wrote:In off the waitlist, not committed, but looking at housing. Anyone hear about the LUX at Central Park?

A bit pricey for the 1-bedroom, around $900, but it's so close to East Franklin and 30 mins walk from the law school. I know it doesn't open until this summer, however, so is it going to be packed with undergrads or are any law students looking at?

Some places they recommended on the Facebook group were alta springs, the springs at Alta springs, meadowmont, Glen Lennox, and Finley forest. I'm not too familiar with chapel hill, but if you join the Facebook group someone can probably help you find a place! Good luck with your decision!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 am

lsatnoob wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:In off the waitlist, not committed, but looking at housing. Anyone hear about the LUX at Central Park?

Some places they recommended on the Facebook group were alta springs, the springs at Alta springs, meadowmont, Glen Lennox, and Finley forest. I'm not too familiar with chapel hill, but if you join the Facebook group someone can probably help you find a place! Good luck with your decision!
THANK YOU. just saw all this, really appreciate it. And I think I'm paying my deposit today but apparently you have to pay 2 deposits to be in the group. Is there anything important going on in there that would be good to know? Or any other housing info being talked about?

Thanks a lot!

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:16 am

skw wrote:
FoxInSocks wrote:
Nope, sorry. Books vary by prof, so until you know your professors you won't know which case books you'll need. As to supplements, wait to see if your prof recommends one. If not, try them out in the library or the Writing Center to see what works for you before investing in them. If you decide to buy supps, buy used on Amazon.

And IMO the UNC bookstore is the worst experience I ever had the entire time at Carolina. It is a disorganized madhouse with a line out the door. Get student prime from Amazon and buy books there too:-)
I know this is a little late, but still. Rising 2L here.

skw is right, last year we only got our class assignments and book lists within a week of classes starting. BUT you will need to get the newest edition of the bluebook. You will come to love/hate this in your writing class and during the journal competition if you chose to do that.

For future reference; Amazon Prime for students is absoutley the way to go if you want to buy. It is much cheeper than the bookstore. I also found renting is a better option in law school than I found it to be in undergrad. You will not need your casebooks again after the class is done (I even had some friends sell them back during finals studying before the test and they were fine). I know Amazon also rents, so maybe look into that, although timing can be more of an issue in the fall.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:31 pm

apples89 wrote:anyone have any idea where they might live?

anyone from UNC UG and wanna fill me in on what lifes like in CH?

I went to UNC for UG and am also going for Law. Chapel Hill is very much a college town. Franklin Street has a solid selection of bars and restaurants. The food scene is pretty good quality. There's some good live music venues nearby as well. The Streets at Southpoint is a very nice mall that's not a far drive at all. There's a Tanger Outlet mall not far in Mebane so plenty of good shopping too. I guess if night clubs are your thing, then you're pretty much out of luck. Other than that, there's always plenty to do in Chapel Hill. There's 2 campus gyms for working out, but the campus lends itself to exercising outdoors, intramural sports are a big thing on campus, as well as attending sporting events (UNC is a huge athletic school).

side note: the bars do tend to get crowded with undergrads, so try and hit the ones that are 21+.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:52 pm

Also, I got the email about immunizations etc. but cannot find the immunization link on MyUNC. You would think that after 4 years at UNC already I would know how to work this crap.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:51 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:Also, I got the email about immunizations etc. but cannot find the immunization link on MyUNC. You would think that after 4 years at UNC already I would know how to work this crap.
got an email saying that it was messed up and theyre looking at it.

anyone decide where to live? im leaning towards meadowmont but im not sold on it. housing options look bleak atm.

also, when does school start?

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 am

apples89 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:Also, I got the email about immunizations etc. but cannot find the immunization link on MyUNC. You would think that after 4 years at UNC already I would know how to work this crap.

anyone decide where to live? im leaning towards meadowmont but im not sold on it. housing options look bleak atm.

I'm going to live at Glen Lennox. Signed my lease on Thursday. Although I've heard some crap about roaches, I've heard a lot more positive reviews than negative, and I liked the apartments when I visited.

Orientation (which is required) starts Aug. 20.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 am

beegnar wrote:Well, UNC did not have one of these fancy forums yet.... congrats to all accepted!

Is anyone planning on going to the ASD April 11th?
You COULD be the one to start the fancy intro!
It's pretty easy to put together. Just slap on a few pictures and the usual stats.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:09 am

ltrego wrote:
apples89 wrote:

I'm going to live at Glen Lennox. Signed my lease on Thursday. Although I've heard some crap about roaches, I've heard a lot more positive reviews than negative, and I liked the apartments when I visited.

I have friends who live in Glen Lennox and friends who live in Meadowmont. I've heard no complaints regarding Meadowmont and relatively few regarding Glen Lennox. I live in The Retreat at Franklin, but there's not normally that much in the way of vacancy over here because it's mostly condominiums. But I have no complaints and I have lived here almost 2 years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:31 am

hipcatdaddio wrote:
ltrego wrote:
apples89 wrote:

I have friends who live in Glen Lennox and friends who live in Meadowmont. I've heard no complaints regarding Meadowmont and relatively few regarding Glen Lennox. I live in The Retreat at Franklin, but there's not normally that much in the way of vacancy over here because it's mostly condominiums. But I have no complaints and I have lived here almost 2 years.
meadowmont is too expensive for me, and glen lenox seems to be out of the floor plan i was banking on and seems to have problems with parking (if someone lives there and wants to fill me in on this, please do).

also looking and alta and villages of chapel hill, any comments on those?

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 am

A good friend of mine lives in Alta Springs. She loves it. She's the only person I know there, so I can't speak too much on it, but it's got a good location and I've heard nothing but good things. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Villages of Chapel Hill. I went to some parties there while in undergrad so I have the impression it's mostly undergrads. It was nice from what I saw though. Sorry I couldn't be more help than that.

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:43 am

i tried posting in the "ask a student" thread a couple days ago about the 1L schedule, but maybe i''ll have better luck here :D . Does anyone have an idea of what the 1L fall class schedule is like? i'm assuming it's something like 8-4 Monday-Friday, but if someone could confirm that would be awesome.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:12 pm

lsatnoob wrote:i tried posting in the "ask a student" thread a couple days ago about the 1L schedule, but maybe i''ll have better luck here :D . Does anyone have an idea of what the 1L fall class schedule is like? i'm assuming it's something like 8-4 Monday-Friday, but if someone could confirm that would be awesome.
I also had this question and I asked my friends that are rising 2Ls at UNC. While, of course, it varies by section. The earliest anybody had a class was 8:45 and the latest was 3:50. A couple of them only had 1 class on Fridays as well. Again, it varies by section, but that's fairly hopeful in my opinion. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”