Oscar Listing Marked as Filled Post-Interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Oscar Listing Marked as Filled Post-Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:12 pm

Title pretty much sums it up. I interviewed with a federal appellate judge last week, and now the Oscar listing changed to "filled" today. I never heard back. Does this likely mean a rejection, or is there a chance that they're just done receiving applications? I know this is like reading tea leaves, but I'd like to hear anecdotes.

Anonymous User

Re: Oscar Listing Marked as Filled Post-Interview

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:50 am

Welcome to the club lol. Almost certainly means you didn’t get it for the term you interviewed for. Not having a flat out rejection could mean the judge is considering you for another term, but I wouldn’t count on that; it’s happened tho. The upshot is this is common for almost all successful clerk apps (including yours truly, who was ghosted more than twice!) — you’re getting nibbles, a bite will come.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 pm

I’ll add on. I interviewed with a federal appellate judge and was ghosted for over a month. I never heard anything directly and saw that the position was filled on OSCAR. I took it as a rejection, since no one ever followed up with me. (This is not to badmouth the judge at all. Things get very busy in chambers, and I have no clue how many applicants they interviewed, so they could have lost track of things. Just a bummer that I didn’t land the position because I liked the judge a lot.)

I ended up landing another slot with a federal appellate judge, so it worked out. I am sure that you will also get something in the end.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:30 pm

To be fair the busyness of chambers isn't an excuse. In my courthouse, the most I ever heard of was a judge interviewing 8 candidates in person for one slot. A clerk or JA sending a short email notifying the candidates who made it that far that they weren't hired is a negligible lift, and I don't understand why any chambers wouldn't do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:30 pm
To be fair the busyness of chambers isn't an excuse. In my courthouse, the most I ever heard of was a judge interviewing 8 candidates in person for one slot. A clerk or JA sending a short email notifying the candidates who made it that far that they weren't hired is a negligible lift, and I don't understand why any chambers wouldn't do so.
Agree, it is rude. Especially for judges that require in person interviews. Hard to say what the norm is tho… attorneys are oft rude :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”