Application Advice for Practicing Attorneys Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Application Advice for Practicing Attorneys

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:13 pm

I graduated in Spring 2023 and am currently working as a biglaw litigation associate in the city I hope to practice in for the rest of my career. I'd really like to clerk for a district judge, but family circumstances make it impractical for me to move cities at this point in my life (even for just one year). I also like my firm and would want to return after clerking.

I applied to clerkships while I was in law school, but nothing panned out. My stats aren't stellar--top 25%, editorial board/note published in a secondary journal, and various other gold stars--and I only applied in my state, but I did get two interviews. I'm hoping to be able to secure a position after working for a year or two, but I have no idea how to go about that or if I stand a chance.

What do I use as a writing sample? I'm a first-year associate, so I don't do a lot of substantive drafting of briefs--just motions and research. Also, what do I do for recommendations? I'm nervous about telling anyone at my firm that I want to clerk because I don't want to impact my workflow (why would a partner invest in training me if they know I'm trying to leave to clerk for a year?), and I don't want to seem like a flight risk (I genuinely would want to return afterward). I'm just lost on what this process looks like once you start practicing. Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Application Advice for Practicing Attorneys

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:20 pm

Is your firm a place where many associates leave to clerk? I don't think expressing an interest in clerking down the road makes you a flight risk or will push your seniors away from mentoring you. And a strong recommendation - i.e., a very enthusiastic phone call - from a former clerk or an attorney who regularly practices before the judge - would likely get you on the top of the pile as a candidate.

I would talk to midlevels you trust about how your firm would react to your leaving to clerk and go from there.

Anonymous User

Re: Application Advice for Practicing Attorneys

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:26 am

You’re a pretty recent grad. Could you use a legal writing sample from 2L or 3L year? And on that same note, you’re close enough to school so that you could probably still have your professors write your letters. I would just check in with the same folks who wrote your recs during the last cycle and ask if they’d be okay with you still using them/ask if they want to update the letters in any way.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”