Firms not taking back clerks Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Firms not taking back clerks

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:14 pm

anyone want to start a list of firms that aren't taking back at least some clerks this year?

Anonymous User

Re: Firms not taking back clerks

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:08 am

Many firms decline to take back at least some clerks. It might even be all of them. But it's hard to know definitively because the no-offered people don't advertise it.

moxcoal

New

Post by moxcoal » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:13 pm

Can confirm that Sidley is not taking back several well-regarded associates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:13 pm

moxcoal wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:13 pm
Can confirm that Sidley is not taking back several well-regarded associates
Is this people who summered and then clerked for the year after graduation or people who were at the firm, left to clerk, and now are trying to come back.

moxcoal

New

Post by moxcoal » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:16 pm

shoot me a message

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:31 pm

moxcoal wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:16 pm
shoot me a message
Current clerk, former Sidley associate. Just messaged you.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:26 am

The assumption -- these days, at least -- should be that you will not be welcome back at your firm ....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:22 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:26 am
The assumption -- these days, at least -- should be that you will not be welcome back at your firm ....
This is ridiculous panic mongering. My co-clerk and I both received routine solicitations to return to our V20 firms this fall just last week. I haven't heard any scuttlebutt in my courthouse about other clerks not being welcomed back. Firms are not as desperate to hire associates as they were in 2021 and clerks have less leverage now than they did two years ago, but unless you can cite some examples I'm unaware of, your assumption is not appropriate.

Obviously, the market is subject to changes, and individual firms may find themselves in hiring crunches. But we are nowhere near that point industry-wide.

throwawayt14

New

Post by throwawayt14 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:22 pm
Wild Card wrote:
This is ridiculous panic mongering. My co-clerk and I both received routine solicitations to return to our V20 firms this fall just last week. I haven't heard any scuttlebutt in my courthouse about other clerks not being welcomed back. Firms are not as desperate to hire associates as they were in 2021 and clerks have less leverage now than they did two years ago, but unless you can cite some examples I'm unaware of, your assumption is not appropriate.

Obviously, the market is subject to changes, and individual firms may find themselves in hiring crunches. But we are nowhere near that point industry-wide.
It's Wild Card. Uninformed fear-mongering and loitering on the clerkships page, despite, as far as I remember, never having clerked, is par for the course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:19 am

throwawayt14 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:

It's Wild Card. Uninformed fear-mongering and loitering on the clerkships page, despite, as far as I remember, never having clerked, is par for the course.
Yeah this is absurd. And the people I know who did Sidley SA before clerking also have return offers fwiw

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:19 am
throwawayt14 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:

Yeah this is absurd. And the people I know who did Sidley SA before clerking also have return offers fwiw
Also a current Sidley associate, I have multiple friends clerking who summered and are coming back in the fall

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:21 pm

I recently learned that Wiley Rein doesn’t hold offers open for clerks and makes them re-interview. Which sounds like it’s a factor in their low retention rate for summers with clerkships who end up going elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:52 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”