Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:26 pm

It’s journal board election season. Wondering if people have thoughts about the benefit of doing board on a secondary journal. Especially, is there a major marginal benefit to doing EIC over Articles or Executive or Note editor?

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:54 pm

EIC matters and (I would argue) is the only E-board position that gives a benefit that is appropriately worth the time commitment. After EIC, there tends to be somewhat of a boost for whatever the position is that is for the person in charge of articles. After that I do not think any of them give a noticeable bump worth it. For instance on my journal, the managing editor did like 2.5-3 times the work of a normal notes editor. Don't think it was worth it.

If the question is do judges/clerks like seeing a senior board member over a normal articles/notes/whatever member, the answer is probably sure. I highly, highly doubt it is going to be worth the ultimate effort though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:54 pm
EIC matters and (I would argue) is the only E-board position that gives a benefit that is appropriately worth the time commitment. After EIC, there tends to be somewhat of a boost for whatever the position is that is for the person in charge of articles. After that I do not think any of them give a noticeable bump worth it. For instance on my journal, the managing editor did like 2.5-3 times the work of a normal notes editor. Don't think it was worth it.

If the question is do judges/clerks like seeing a senior board member over a normal articles/notes/whatever member, the answer is probably sure. I highly, highly doubt it is going to be worth the ultimate effort though.
Does getting your note published in your secondary journal help, or not really?

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:22 pm

Did hiring for my judges at both the D.Ct. and the COA. I'm sure its judge dependent but I'd say the ranking goes: main law review EIC/ME > main law review membership > secondary journal EIC > every other position on a secondary journal = no journal/law review. It will also depend how much the judge knows about journals at your schools. For example at my school there was a secondary journal that was pretty well respected and judges who went there know that. There's also secondary journals at T14s that are well respected by conservative judges because the subject matter or e-board leans right.

Publication in any journal, even secondary, was viewed favorably by both my judges.

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 pm

For maximal clerkship impact per work, the best position is LR AE—high prestige, but relatively relaxed outside of the submission periods. Definitely nothing executive or managing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 pm
For maximal clerkship impact per work, the best position is LR AE—high prestige, but relatively relaxed outside of the submission periods. Definitely nothing executive or managing.
Don't know about your journal, but on my one this position was a lot of work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 pm
For maximal clerkship impact per work, the best position is LR AE—high prestige, but relatively relaxed outside of the submission periods. Definitely nothing executive or managing.
Don't know about your journal, but on my one this position was a lot of work.
Yeah, it was on mine, too - submission period is obviously the most work, but the AE's then worked directly with the authors on edits up through publication, which was still a lot of work (some authors more than others, of course, but there are a lot of unhelpful authors out there).

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:58 pm
For maximal clerkship impact per work, the best position is LR AE—high prestige, but relatively relaxed outside of the submission periods. Definitely nothing executive or managing.
Don't know about your journal, but on my one this position was a lot of work.
Yeah, it was on mine, too - submission period is obviously the most work, but the AE's then worked directly with the authors on edits up through publication, which was still a lot of work (some authors more than others, of course, but there are a lot of unhelpful authors out there).
It definitely differs depending on the school/journal - articles editors were seen as far too much work at my T14's LR, and the general consensus was that non-EIC positions make a marginal difference (if any) on clerkship apps. There wasn't a correlation between peoples' journal positions and whether they got a clerkship/what clerkship they got, so I wouldn't recommend doing if the possible clerkship boost is your only reason. If you're actually interested in a position, then go for it - if nothing else, it'll give your interviewers something to ask about.

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:52 pm

I was articles selections editor on my journal and it was a good gig, entirely over 2L summer. Didn't have any benefits but I enjoyed it.

Is EIC still a good resume bump these days?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:47 pm

This thread was supposed to be about secondary journals... so is the consensus that only EIC matters for those?

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:52 pm
I was articles selections editor on my journal and it was a good gig, entirely over 2L summer. Didn't have any benefits but I enjoyed it.

Is EIC still a good resume bump these days?
Being EIC of a secondary journal is a good bump. Being EIC of like a T6 law review is like an insane bump based on performance which admittedly could be more correlation than causation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm

Strong disagree that nothing but EIC matters btw—obviously not every judge hires on the same criteria, but I think it’s equally obvious that many judges care about journal board positions. I know of a prominent, selective judge who virtually exclusively hires via a couple of top LR boards for example.

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Strong disagree that nothing but EIC matters btw—obviously not every judge hires on the same criteria, but I think it’s equally obvious that many judges care about journal board positions. I know of a prominent, selective judge who virtually exclusively hires via a couple of top LR boards for example.
I think the point of this thread was to inquire about secondary journals. So the relevant question would be whether judges care about non-EIC positions on secondary journals, not law review.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Strong disagree that nothing but EIC matters btw—obviously not every judge hires on the same criteria, but I think it’s equally obvious that many judges care about journal board positions. I know of a prominent, selective judge who virtually exclusively hires via a couple of top LR boards for example.
I think the point of this thread was to inquire about secondary journals. So the relevant question would be whether judges care about non-EIC positions on secondary journals, not law review.
Like articles editor

Anonymous User
Posts: 415734
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Do judges/clerks care about secondary journal positions

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:36 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Strong disagree that nothing but EIC matters btw—obviously not every judge hires on the same criteria, but I think it’s equally obvious that many judges care about journal board positions. I know of a prominent, selective judge who virtually exclusively hires via a couple of top LR boards for example.
I think the point of this thread was to inquire about secondary journals. So the relevant question would be whether judges care about non-EIC positions on secondary journals, not law review.
Like articles editor
compared to some other positions, a judge generally knows what kind of work you were doing as an articles editor and it's a guarantee you were engaging with legal ideas. some judges probably don't care but some others might.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”